Stone Spotlight Series - Black Rye Kölsch

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by DaltonC, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaltonC

DaltonC Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2013 Idaho

"Coming in March to a craft beer venue near you will be Stone Spotlight Series Spröcketbier, a black rye Kölsch developed by Team Spröcket. That two-man brewing juggernaut consists of QA Supervisor Rick Blankemeier and Production Warehouse LeadRobbie Chandler."

"We wanted to make a beer that looked intimidating, but was extremely drinkable and sessionable. The flaked rye adds a spicy note to play with the floral Hersbrucker hops added in the whirlpool. We also wanted to have a lighter beer without it feeling “watery,” so we added Munich malt to add some dextrines and other unfermentables to the mix for a nice light body. We ultimately wanted to brew a beer that we would enjoy—not necessarily a beer we felt could win the competition. We knew whether we won or lost, we’d be drinking a lot of our beer, so we had better like it. That’s why we went low in alcohol, but packed with flavor."

[​IMG]

More info: http://blog.stonebrew.com/index.php/stone-spotlight-series/

2. JohnCassillo

JohnCassillo Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 California

Intrigued to check this one out. Stone's always looking for new ways to market beers, and the concept behind this one seems to be a cool way to get more ideas out there.

3. AnthonyBeerdain

AnthonyBeerdain Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2014 North Carolina

Hmm, nothing on availability...

Edit: I lied:

#3 AnthonyBeerdain, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  4. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Grand Pooh-Bah (5,622) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Some of the other beers they said were part of the competition sound pretty tasty- the lime leaf/blood orange wit, the Petite Quad, the float cream stout, and the oatmeal porter aged in bourbon barrels. The Rye Kolsch does sound intriguing and I'd like to try it- Stone doesn't generally do lagers, so I'd be interested to see how it turned out.

5. jwheeler87

jwheeler87 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 Massachusetts

Damn they put out a lot of new beers. Didn't that Grapefruit IPA just hit?

6. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

You mean Stone doesn't brew lagers. Period.

Curious about this one as well.

7. DaltonC

Yes they did but the grapefruit is a side project started by the founders of stone and this beer is a winner or something from a competition that was brewed by 2 different guys. But nonetheless they are both under the Stone umbrella.

8. jwheeler87

jwheeler87 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 Massachusetts

Good point. I just feel like the amount of one offs they've put out lately is pretty wild.

9. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Grand Pooh-Bah (5,622) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Looking through their beer list, active and archived, on BA, I could only find one lager- a baltic porter. And I'm pretty sure baltics could be lager or ale, so I'm not sure if this one is even a lager anyway.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/5752/

Tidesox28 likes this.
  10. JohnCassillo

JohnCassillo Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 California

Agree. Saw that post from January where they said they released 70-some odd beers in 2013. I'd assume they blow that number out of the water this year. If people keep buying and the quality of their stand-bys don't change, what's telling them not to?

JohnnyMc likes this.
  11. DaltonC

I think it's awesome, it's almost like Greg has gotten so big and is a great role model to pretty much every other smaller brewery, so he's helping them out with his $ and resources and such.

12. WhatANicePub

WhatANicePub Zealot (598) Jul 1, 2009 Scotland

There's no such thing as a black rye Kölsch. End of discussion.

13. mudbug

mudbug Pooh-Bah (1,750) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Kölsch
    Description:
    First only brewed in Köln, Germany, now many American brewpubs and a hand full of breweries have created their own version of this obscure style. Light to medium in body with a very pale color, hop bitterness is medium to slightly assertive. A somewhat vinous (grape-y from malts) and dry flavor make up the rest.

HAHAHA Another highly regarded brewery takes a steaming dump on the definition of a style. Bravo! Bring on the Stout IPAs. Pilsner ales and YooHoo Shocktop chocolate beer!

I'm almost positive I would like this beer. I hope this helps kill the rate to style argument.

14. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Pooh-Bah (2,535) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

On the brewery tour the guide stated Stone doesn't have the capability to brew lagers and they only brew ales.

15. AndrewK

AndrewK Savant (1,087) Oct 20, 2006 California

You mean Black IPAs and kölsches?

UCLABrewN84 likes this.
  16. jwat

jwat Maven (1,254) Jan 19, 2012 Pennsylvania

Praying this will be session wookey jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.