Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA Returns

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jmdrpi, Jan 6, 2021.

1. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (7,167) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

This was mentioned in another Stone discussion but thought it warranted it's own thread.

From Stone's social media post:
    Based on the picture, looks like perhaps both 12 oz six packs and 22 oz bottles, unless it's just an old stock photo.

I for one will be looking for it. Hopefully Old Guardian is next!
    [​IMG]

2. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,404) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

If it ain't Stone IRS, then I don't want it.

3. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,634) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

OK Stone, you can have a couple more dollars. But only so I can claim its not the same and cast some more shade! Jk, it'll probably be as good as ever

Whyteboar, AlcahueteJ, KRug and 16 others like this.
  4. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (428) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

The one they included in their 12 Days pack over Christmas was indeed as good as ever, IMO.

5. AWA

AWA Disciple (319) Jul 22, 2014 California

Outstanding. I haven't had a single black IPA all year. I probably won't be able to find it for another 3 months, but at least I know it's coming.

6. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Poo-Bah (5,809) Oct 13, 2007 Wisconsin
    Society

I remember when the India Dark Ale was all the rage circa 2010, and this beer was one of my favorites in the style. I’d probably prefer seeing the Smoked Porter revived, but Sublimely Self-Righteous will be welcome, at least for old times sake.

JohnnyHopps, deanzaZZR, jrnyc and 7 others like this.
  7. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,193) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Oh i actually really liked this. Kind of a game changer when it was first released, then everyone starting making Black IPAs, most weren’t good, and now it seems like the style is near extinct.

I may pick up a bomber of this for nostalgia purposes.

8. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (741) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Excellent News....!

I always adored this brew and have been thinking of having it again for a LONG time.

Good to see they have the balls to bring it back.

Cant wait!

purephase, AWA and BrewsOverHoes like this.
  9. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Meyvn (1,143) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

10. StonedRaider

StonedRaider Initiate (146) Oct 25, 2007 California
    Trader

I’ve been waiting for this one. I bought the $30 12 Days of IPA specifically for the single 12 oz bottle of SSR. SSR was worth it but the other 11 bottles ranged from good to terrible. I’m glad I can buy SSR on its own now. My only problem at the moment is that the picture posted on their Instagram made it seem like it would be available in 6 packs and 22 oz bottles but on their online shop it’s only available in 22 oz bottles ($9 each). The value may not be there but it’s a great beer that I’ll definitely be picking up a few bombers of. If 6 packs are indeed released then I’ll be ordering at least a case.

11. beaulabauve

beaulabauve Disciple (391) Aug 5, 2011 Louisiana

12. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,289) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

This is great news...I also need them to bring back the IRS and help me pretend its 10 years ago all over again

13. AWA

Yeah, Smoked Porter would be pretty damn nice too. I'm having a hard time finding anything smoked now too.

14. smutty33

Trader

Don’t feel too bad....Black IPAs, Rye, and Smoked beers are some of my favs. and they are extinct here in CT. Even regular stouts with no adjuncts are getting harder to find.

Seems if it doesn’t have low bitterness, lactose, maple, vanilla, etc. today’s crowd is uninterested.......yawn.

15. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,193) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

So I essentially left craft beer for several years, but I came back and I cannot believe they stopped making IRS. I mean it was far from my favorite stout but it was kind of a staple on the shelves of early craft beer bottle shops.

16. AWA

And btw, awesome profile photo.

traction and smutty33 like this.
  17. smutty33

Trader

Big fan of yours as well...:sunglasses:

Fun Fact: Ace and John were really good friends. They partied together on many occasions.....:stuck_out_tongue:

AlcahueteJ and AWA like this.
  18. AWA

I herad that, actually. Personal fun fact, I saw KISS at Magic Mountain when they did the concert scene for KISS meets the Phantom of the Park. Shit movie, killer show.

jrnyc and smutty33 like this.
  19. smutty33

Trader

Woah, what a show to be at! I was only 3.

I know all about that show though. Some great you tube footage!

What a great part of KISStory....! Except for the movie...lol

To keep it on beer, I’ll toast a Stone Sublimely to you, John and Ace!

Cheers

russpowell and AWA like this.
  20. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (106) Aug 21, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

I'm delighted by this and hopeful that Double Bastard will return soon as well.

21. thegodfather2701

thegodfather2701 Crusader (757) Nov 3, 2005 North Carolina

I cannot like this post enough. It was my favorite beer. I miss it.

mmmbeerNY likes this.
  22. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,224) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

I've about all but lost interest in Stone, but this genuinely makes me excited. I absolutely will purchase this if and when I see it. Maybe they're finally doing something right for once.

23. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,603) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I have a bottle from a mixed 12 pack purchased around 1 Dec. I've yet to pull the trigger

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  24. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,603) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Your comments give me hope. Yeah, the other 11 okay to good mostly skewing okay

BrewsOverHoes and StonedRaider like this.
  25. StonedRaider

Trader

SSR was great but other than that the only beers from that pack that I enjoyed were The standard IPA, Go To, F & B and Ruination. I thought the rest were below average and even drain poured a couple.

26. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,977) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

SSR? Really? This will for sure make it into my glass.

27. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (312) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

The label isn’t upside down? I can’t buy it.

28. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,571) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Sadly (?), these days, if I saw almost any black IPA, I'd buy it.
    So if I see this... well...you'll see it too in the WBAYDN forum.

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  29. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (649) Mar 28, 2009 California

Alright now everyone who yelled “bring it back” better buy some so this isn’t a one time only special release.

I am definitely in for a six pack or three. Seems like the only Black IPA I drink these days are the ones I homebrew.

30. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (186) Oct 6, 2004 California
    Trader

Hot damn, they actually are releasing it in something other than a mix-pack. That's actually great news! I look forward to picking some of this up soon.

It would be encouraging to see this re-release succeed and be a springboard to bringing back some of the other beers that made many of us like Stone in the first place. Hope springs eternal...

31. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,616) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

No, thank you. I'll just wait for Sawstone to release their Exquisitely Introspective Ale or whatever.

officerbill likes this.
  32. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,624) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

SSR is a great beer, now black ipas normally aren't my thing, but when it’s fresh it’s spectacular.

msscott1973 likes this.
  33. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (428) Mar 5, 2014 New York

I'll look out for this. Could be my first Stone purchase in a few years. Used to like this one. Definitely want to encourage good beers in other styles

34. Obsidian81

Obsidian81 Initiate (50) Mar 3, 2016 Illinois

I’ve never had a black IPA before, but I’m definitely going to pick this up if I see it here. Stone bringing back some of their classics is a good sign.

beaulabauve and nc41 like this.
  35. slander

slander Poo-Bah (2,240) Nov 5, 2001 New York
    Moderator Society

It pains me that people speak of the Black IPA and White IPA as if they were both these silly little one off trends.

Black IPA = love.
    White IPA = abomination.

Is this not simple math?

36. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (836) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Six pack im in......22oz im out......More than likely I wont buy a six either as it will be priced more than I will pay. I but AB in 6x16 but wont pay more than $12 one time here. Make it $10 and im in a lot

Enjoy

37. StonedRaider

Trader

I just saw that a local shop posted on social media that they got in 6 pack 12oz bottles. Not sure on price but this solidifies my decision to purchase multiple packs. $9 bombers has me concerned with the price. Hoping it’s under $15/6-pack but guessing it’ll be closer to $20.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  38. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (145) Jan 8, 2015 California

Smoke, Smoke, Smoke! Put it in 6 packs for once.

jonphisher likes this.
  39. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,624) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Not all black ipas are created the same, I’ve had some that were just burnt Malt. SSR is very different as it has a bit of a fruity touch, the fresher the better with this beer.

IKR likes this.
  40. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,324) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

I miss Black IPAs. Yes, there were too many of them and it's a dumb name, but I don't like that they ALL seemed to disappear around the same time. I just think of them as porters with some insane American-style hopping. Trade some of those f'ing hazebombs for some Black IPAs and I'd be a happy camper.

Looking forward to revisiting