Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Stone Vengeful Spirit IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by TheCrimsonKing, Sep 1, 2017.

1. TheCrimsonKing

TheCrimsonKing Aspirant (227) Jul 28, 2017 Ohio
    Subscriber

2. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,408) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I'm in. Thanks for posting this.

3. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Disciple (377) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Sounds tasty!

4. tillmac62

tillmac62 Meyvn (1,474) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I'll give it a shot, not a big Stone fan.

5. Haybeerman

Haybeerman Poo-Bah (2,238) May 21, 2008 Colorado
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Had me with "sent from the gods". I'm always in for Stone.

Ricelikesbeer, ericwo and IPAExpert69 like this.
  6. IRS4MEPLEASE

IRS4MEPLEASE Aspirant (267) Jul 20, 2008 California

I will give it a try. I hope Stone rethinks the idea of not producing Old Guardian. I enjoyed that barley wine very much.

7. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (64) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

If this is brewed in the RVA facility, I'll pass. Everything I've had from there has been average at best (bottled beers, haven't visited the brewery).

waltari likes this.
  8. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Zealot (523) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia

Saw this on BeerStreetJournal a couple months ago, been waiting for the release! Definitely going to be a pick up!

VABA likes this.
  9. LumpkinBrews

LumpkinBrews Aspirant (271) Aug 30, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I'll give it a shot! Not the biggest stone fan, but their recent Ghost Hammer was a banger IMO. Any word on that Henna killer (Neopolitan Dynamite hahahha)???

10. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (512) Dec 12, 2014 California

So Stone is making IPAs now? :stuck_out_tongue:

11. beer_me_phl

beer_me_phl Initiate (71) Aug 26, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

This just hit the Philly area. I just saw two cases at Wegman's KOP.

12. TheCrimsonKing

TheCrimsonKing Aspirant (227) Jul 28, 2017 Ohio
    Subscriber

We finally got some in at my store and I took one home last night. I enjoyed it. Not my favorite Stone release, but I would drink it again/buy a 6 pack

13. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Initiate (136) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I really enjoyed this. I felt that this is something I could have in my fridge at all times.

14. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Meyvn (1,073) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Supporter Beer Trader

I just bought a six pack. It's a very nice, easy to drink IPA. Decent balance. A little higher abv than I'd like, but nicely priced at $10/6.

VABA likes this.
  15. neenerzig

neenerzig Poo-Bah (1,708) Feb 15, 2006 Ohio

I'm sure it will not disappoint. I'll certainly give it a try.

Eric

16. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Meyvn (1,227) Sep 3, 2008 California

I found it mute on the nose and lacking dynamic attributes on the taste. I'll see how a couple cans evolve with age, but will be gifting half of the 6er I purchased.

17. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Zealot (578) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado
    Subscriber

had this at the brewery fresh in Escondido and also just bought a few cans at home. Its delicious! pleasantly hoppy and tropical in every sense. Very sessiionable but dangerous at 6+% ABV. The pricepoint is great too! $10 for a sixer is nice to see.

18. ACGypsy

ACGypsy Initiate (148) Mar 24, 2014 Texas

I missed out on the cans but had a growler. Good IPA but not my favorite from Stone. But I appreciate how they keep churning out different variants. Looking forward to Dr Frankenstone's Monster IPA.

19. CannedWaggoneer

CannedWaggoneer Initiate (45) May 1, 2017 Ohio

This is so lame. Stone has long ago outgrown their ability to stay influential and innovative. Its all fruit extract IPA now, just like the rest of them.

This beer is like when teacher dabs in class.

RobHB, Brent212, jakecattleco and 2 others like this.
  20. moshea

moshea Devotee (426) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Sorry to hate, becasue I do love Stone, but did anyone else read the sales blurb?

"Since 1996 he’s had our backs, and yours, by representing an aggressive intolerance for commoditized beer"

How is this commoditized product any different than the 100's of other tropical IPAs on the market?

Commoditize'
    Commoditize refers to a process in which goods or services become relatively indistinguishable from competing offerings over time. Generally speaking, commoditized products within specific categories are so similar to one another that the only distinguishing feature is pricing.

I think it is safe to say that Stone IPA's are already a commoditized product.

21. CannedWaggoneer

CannedWaggoneer Initiate (45) May 1, 2017 Ohio

Luckily for them most people don't read those sales blurbs. But man, is that ever a shallow attempt at misdirection.

Squire123 and eldoctorador like this.
  22. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,047) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I have always loved Stone but over the years I see where a lot of you guys are coming from. I don't see much innovation anymore, they just hammer out the routine items. Outside of Xocoveza and Mocha IPA I am pretty burnt out with their offerings.

eldoctorador and ESHBG like this.
  23. donspublic

donspublic Meyvn (1,231) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

I just had Odell's Rupture, if you are wanting that big pineapple hit without the added juice, then I recommend you take it for a ride. Really nice beer with huge hop flavor

matcris and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  24. Tryionn66

Tryionn66 Initiate (142) Feb 17, 2017 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

I just tapped a keg of this at my restaurant. Once the old beer clears the line I'll be giving it a try

25. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (226) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I tried this, it was okay. I would drink again if handed to me but not something I would seek out.

waltari likes this.
  26. ACGypsy

ACGypsy Initiate (148) Mar 24, 2014 Texas

I definitely liked Dr FrankenStone's Montster IPA much better as far as single IPA Halloween releases from Stone.

27. RobHB

RobHB Initiate (131) Aug 20, 2017 New Jersey

Yeah, surprised to see an IPA offering from them.

eldoctorador likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.