Release Stone - Xocoveza 2016

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BottleCaps80, Oct 3, 2016.

1. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Zealot (595) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Stone Xocoveza
    A TRADITION TOO SPECIAL TO SKIP

Soon it will be that time of year again: Stone Xocoveza season. Our deliciously distinctive, winter-spiced mocha stout is harmoniously balanced with cocoa, coffee, peppers, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and milk sugar–the same beloved recipe that has made it such a fan favorite. It’s not “winter” without this festive beer interpretation of Mexican hot chocolate.

09/19/16
    starts shipping to distributors
    10/03/16
    public national release week

Packaging: 12oz six-packs and draft
    ABV: 8.1%

Special Ingredients: Cocoa, coffee, peppers, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg & milk sugar

National Distribution: AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MT, NC, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI and Puerto Rico

International Distribution: Australia; Alberta and British Columbia, Canada; Costa Rica; Germany; Hong Kong; Japan; Korea; Mexico; Panama; Philippines; Singapore; Sweden; Thailand; and United Kingdom

TASTING NOTES

Appearance: Pours black with a thick brown head.
    Aroma: Intense cinnamon, cocoa and coffee are followed by nutmeg and peppers. As the beer warms up, the flavor combinations evolve and the cocoa and vanilla notes really start to open up.
    Taste: Cocoa and cinnamon are at the forefront. The coffee, nutmeg and vanilla follow, and the fruitiness and heat of the pasilla peppers come through nicely on the finish.
    Palate: Full-bodied and very smooth with a light bitterness. The sweetness adds a lot to this beer without being too syrupy.
    Overall: When we tasted Chris Banker’s winning beer at our annual AHA Rally back in March 2014, I think everyone on the brewing team was blown away by the multiple layers of flavor in this beer. Chris’ inspiration was Mexican hot chocolate, and he was able to perfectly replicate the flavors. The inclusion of Cervecería Insurgente for this collaboration was a fun addition. We first met Co-founders Ivan and Damian at the 2014 Craft Brewers Conference in Denver, and given their brewery’s proximity to us in Mexico, and their approach to brewing, we thought they’d be a perfect fit for the third collaborator.

http://stonesalesmaterials.com/stone-xocoveza/

2. Jmorey

Jmorey Disciple (319) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Glad they aren't calling it "Xocoveza: For the Holidays and New Year" again. Every time it sounded like someone had written it down as a note of when it would come out and somehow it made it into production.

Great beer, but as always would be happy if it could come in at a slightly lower point. It was around $18 a pack here.

Somehow I lucked out with a place in May that put what they had left in the $1 bin. So I bought a couple extra packs :slight_smile:

Gemini6 and KevSal like this.
  3. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (915) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I have been waiting for this one, cannot wait to get it.

Geuzedad and StoneBrewingCo like this.
  4. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (112) Nov 10, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Can't wait for this, hopefully can pick some up today

StoneBrewingCo and Hayden34 like this.
  5. Hayden34

Hayden34 Devotee (470) Aug 10, 2014 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

GREAT NEWS!!! Xocoveza is my favorite stout and I always stock up when it hits the shelves down here. I was thinking it was released in November for some reason, but am SO glad I was wrong.

StoneBrewingCo and chrismann65 like this.
  6. fishtremble

fishtremble Initiate (183) Jan 18, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Great beer, so happy to see Stone keeping this in the rotation.

7. jrnyc

jrnyc Savant (903) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Love this beer. Great taste and a very manageable ABV.

8. lambpasty

lambpasty Devotee (479) May 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Got about a case last year and still have one or two bottles left, and I'm excited to see how it's aged along side a fresh bottle. I'm being all budget-y so I don't think I'll pick as much up this year, but, a few singles won't hurt :slight_smile:

9. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,326) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I still have a few from last year. Our next bottle share will certainly include a "mini-vertical."

lambpasty and chrismann65 like this.
  10. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,112) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Yeah, CT always runs about a month to six weeks behind the rest of the country in getting new releases.. Damn it.

11. gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy Initiate (169) Jun 1, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Was really bummed when I missed this last year. ISO in NJ!

12. Vitacca

Vitacca Devotee (446) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

This hit Milwaukee today. No more chasing this beer in IL!

capnmike and StoneBrewingCo like this.
  13. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (94) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS. Still have two bottles from last year.

14. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (112) Nov 10, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

I'm bummed cause my bottle shop said they were getting it today, but it didnt make it :slight_frown:

15. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (281) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Wow. I bought like two cases last year, mixed a FBS keg with "xocoveza" spices, and home brewed another left hand milk stout clone with the xocoveza spices.. I am sooo ready for more. I pretty much ran out three months ago. Not sure what is planned this year for me.

As far as aging, my bottle shop had some bombers of the 2014 when they released the 2015. All of the adjunct flavors were just so severely muted, it was kind of sad to see. I do have one bottle left from that '15 bunch so a mini vertical is a must.

For the guy talking about the price, I guess I am from the camp that remembers the $9 bombers, and bought like 12 of them. So when I saw sixers available, $17-$19 doesn't deter me in the slightest. I know I like it, so its an easy six pack grab. And if others are hesitant, who cares. More for us. The value added on such a change is just so immense. Price should never be brought up again IMHO.

TomO23, DonObiWan and JayORear like this.
  16. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Defender (660) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Amazing beer. So glad to have it back.

StoneBrewingCo likes this.
  17. Razrback5

Razrback5 Initiate (146) Dec 7, 2015 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Yeah, I missed out last year and had a SoCal buddy send me one months ago that I just found in the cellar. Drank the '15 a few weeks ago and it was great. Still had some cinnamon/spice to it but I'd imagine they'd faded quite a bit.

Excited to land some (finally getting distro in Arkansas) fresh and having it on a cool night.

18. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (1,514) Apr 6, 2010 Texas
    Supporter Beer Trader

Maybe my favorite spiced beer. Love it.

19. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (94) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

I had a couple of my '15s in August and they were still really good, didn't lose much of the coffee/spice as I was worried about. Still will be interesting to see how a fresh one compares.

chrismann65 and StoneBrewingCo like this.
  20. Jmorey

Jmorey Disciple (319) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I totally agree it is better than a $9 bomber and is on par with stones other pricing. But I can still wish it to be a few bucks less a pack.

21. Thecalmdrinker

Thecalmdrinker Aspirant (267) Jun 27, 2015 Nevada

I think I still have two bottles on the fridge (2015). I might get a six pack if I don't find anything more interesting. :slight_smile:

22. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Zealot (540) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

One of my local shops jus got it in a few hours ago. Stopping after work to grab a couple 6ers... If theres any left. Goes too quick round these parts.
    Cheers!

chrismann65 and StoneBrewingCo like this.
  23. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Savant (961) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

One of my favorites and the only Stone beer that I like.

eldoctorador and drunkenmess like this.
  24. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (281) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

True. Totally not hating on that thought process.

But looking at the likes of GI BCBS and its other variants, they went the opposite direction.4 packs used to be laughed at and bought at $20-$22/48 ounces.. Now they are the ones laughing at ~16 oz. for $12-$15.. Who won out there when people started questioning prices? Gi.... even AB INBEV lol

So truly, in this time where start ups feel they have to strike while the iron is hot, and others just expanding like crazy, this approach to go from Bombers to sixers is SO unlike anything we have seen in awhile. So for a front runner like Stone to do it, I have to truly pull all of my support their way here. This is unheard of.

We know they did the bomber to sixer format with Enjoy by, while also giving consumers a chance to just buy a bomber. But I've done the math before. I think we are basically getting a bomber free for every bought "six pack", had they kept the old format the same. We are finally winning out, and I don't want Stone to feel like they are getting a bad bargain. This is an all FALL high for me.

Hayden34 and Brent212 like this.
  25. Boomer4ES

Boomer4ES Disciple (355) Jan 31, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

It didn't hit stores in these parts until November last year. The bottles I have were born on 10/30.

Gemini6 and Hayden34 like this.
  26. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Defender (677) Feb 2, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Same here got a pack and a half left side by side it is :slight_smile:

lambpasty likes this.
  27. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,073) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

A "winter-spiced" stout released near winter? Pfft, nonsense. :wink:

28. beermeplz

beermeplz Disciple (331) Feb 13, 2015 California

looking forward to having my fridge stocked full of this and born yesterday just like last year. probably went through a case and a half and still could've used more...great stuff.

29. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,399) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

We're getting distribution of Stone in South Dakota by the end of the year (According to response from Greg Koch), hopefully in time to nab some Xocoveza...

StoneGreg likes this.
  30. eagles7251

eagles7251 Initiate (183) Sep 29, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I hope they are making more this year. Was lucky to score one six pack here NJ last year. Never saw it again.

Andy311x and Daveshek28 like this.
  31. Runofthedill

Runofthedill Initiate (139) Oct 28, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

its funny you say that. I saw it once, picked it up making a special trip to do so. It came again in early December and just sat on shelves for a month or so. I'm in the middle of nowhere Ohio.

Jmorey likes this.
  32. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (720) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Website says there is no scheduled delivery yet for Colorado... hisssssss:angry:

33. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,278) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

NJ has it. Ive seen it this week in Ocean County.

lambpasty likes this.
  34. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (269) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

It was one of my favorite beers last year. Can't wait to get more of it.

CJNAPS likes this.
  35. Betolito

Betolito Aspirant (292) May 20, 2012 Nevada

Can't wait to get my hands on the 2016. It indeed has become a tradition at our house.

VABA likes this.
  36. oudebueuze

oudebueuze Initiate (173) Dec 12, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Wish they would try an iteration of this without animal products. Can't win 'em all, I suppose.

37. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (189) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Couldn't get my hands on any last year... hoping VT gets a little extra this time around.

38. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (720) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Animal products?

Justdoit1234 and Brent212 like this.
  39. gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy Initiate (169) Jun 1, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Stores in Mercer and Middlesex counties NJ just putting this on the shelf. After missing it last year I was able to secure some this year. Also grabbed the Cabin Fever mix.

40. oudebueuze

oudebueuze Initiate (173) Dec 12, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Cow's milk.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.