Store's lights effect on beers to be aged

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by CoreyC, Feb 1, 2016.

1. CoreyC

CoreyC Aspirant (205) Mar 16, 2015 Wisconsin

I recently got some beers for aging that spent quite a while on beer store shelves before I purchased them. One they told me was there over a year, and the others are a 2014 vintage and one was bottled in the fall of '13, so maybe even longer. The question is should I adjust my planned targeted sweet spot aging times (Arctic Devil 2 years, Samichlaus Helles 5 years, and Courage RIS 5+?) due to worries of any negative effect of the light exposure?

2. KornWallace

KornWallace Zealot (507) Dec 1, 2011 New York
    Trader

Respectfully, I think this might be overthinking it. I've purchased a lot of older beers that have sat on shelves and I can't ever recall a beer having lightstruck/skunked flavors. As for artificial aging I believe it's more a product of temperature abuse or even over handling then light damage.

Depending on your palate I'd open one now to check for off flavors. If you're unfamiliar with skunking as a flavor try a Corona you left outside or next to a window for a day next to one you closeted. That skunk aroma is actually a desired in small quantities for the Corona. If your beer shares any qualities with the corona you're going to know if it is skunked or not.

3. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Meyvn (1,267) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana

Normal store fluorescent lights shouldn't be a big deal unless the beer was close enough to them to really get drilled with both light and heat (like less than a foot).

On the other hand, if these were in a western facing window and caught the sun directly every afternoon, I would be concerned. I have bought beer off the shelf that had been there at least two years and had no problem at all. Be very thankful for amber glass and its light-killing abilities.

eppie82 and lateralusbeer like this.
  4. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,460) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

I agree that I'd be more worried about heat than light for brown bottle beer.

5. AnthonyFTW22

AnthonyFTW22 Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2015 California

just curious...... Ive seen all the recommended temps. but at what temp. would a beer start to really spoil?

6. phildow

phildow Initiate (115) Jan 6, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

I think once the temperature of the store exceeds the temperature the yeast is activated, assuming it's bottle conditioned?