Storing Beer in a Closet

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Moopband, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moopband

Moopband Aspirant (223) Jul 20, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I live in NYC and due to that it's not possible to have a legit cellar or even a mini fridge due to lack of space. Basically my beers that I am keeping in my cellar are in my closet which seems to change in temperature randomly. I wanted to know if you guys had any tips from your experience to keep the closet as cool as possible - maybe something like those things that slip under a door to keep air out?

slevy221 likes this.
  2. slevy221

slevy221 Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Have the exact same issue. People I've spoken to have said the temperature is really a benefit but not 100% a requirement. You kinda gotta do what you can do. The key though is to try to not let them get too hot. Everywhere I've read has said if they get to hot they can get ruined.

3. e34john

e34john Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Those styrofoam beach coolers. I pack them in there and tape them shut. Figured it will insulate the day's heat a little better. I also put them into an interior closet.

humandrivein likes this.
  4. JasonLovesBeer

JasonLovesBeer Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

Maybe you can stick a small wine cooler in your closet? Just need to ensure decent ventilation to the motor/pump area

5. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2012 Nevada
    Beer Trader

Why put it in your closet?! Just throw a table cloth over it and use it for furniture!

6. JasonLovesBeer

JasonLovesBeer Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

Does make a decent side table... especially if you don't have a disapproving S.O.

7. paulys55

paulys55 Zealot (587) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Short term probably not a huge deal but I wouldn't store anything long term in those conditions.

8. Moopband

Beer Trader

This is what I'm afraid of. I recently got a few bottles of LP Gueuze from Cantillon and wanted to age those for a long time. Also since I have roommates I'm not able to add things like a mini-fridge/wine fridge.

9. tommyguz

tommyguz Meyvn (1,011) May 14, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Get the fridge that acts as a side table

[​IMG]

swoopdog and Five_Four_Plus like this.
  10. CerealKillerKP

CerealKillerKP Initiate (0) May 24, 2009 Kentucky

Don't worry about it. Jean Van Roy doesn't think seasonal temperature fluctuations and 70 degree temps affect the beer negatively and may even improve it.

11. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

You said "cellar." If that closet is really in a basement below ground level, you should be fine.

That's how I store all of my ageable brews. In summer, it rarely gets above 70 degrees, in winter, rarely below 50. Works fine for me.

12. Moopband

Beer Trader

Sorry - definitely not in a basement level in the apartment I am in just in a normal closet away from windows but it still fluctuates in temperature based on season since there's no centralized air condition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.