Storing Beer

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Thenerdgothamdeserves, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Thenerdgothamdeserves

Thenerdgothamdeserves Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2018 South Carolina

I live in an apartment and Im not really ready to start aging beer but I have a lot of beer stored in my closet in a cardboard box. I keep a 12 pack in tbe fridge and the rest in my closet.

I was reading an article that says you can keep a beer a room temperature for a week or two without it doing any real damage. While that can probably extend to a month, once your beer starts sitting around much longer than that the flavor is going to start to change.

Ive had some of this beer for 3 to 6 months.

So first question. Is this beer going to taste "bad"?

Second question. Ive been thinking about getting a mini fridge or wine cooler to put the beer thats in my closet in. Ive looked at a few. Some with temp control some without. Just not sure whats the more ideal option.

2. BigIslandfarmer

BigIslandfarmer Aspirant (264) Sep 30, 2016 Minnesota

What styles of beer do you have stored in the closet? Imperial stouts, quads, & some sours should be ok for months in there, IPAs, and other hoppy beer, not so much.

The answer to your second question depends on what you want to get out of the beer. If you want it to stay as fresh as possible then the colder the better. If you want it to age then you want it between 50 & 60 degrees.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  3. Thenerdgothamdeserves

I have a mixture of things in there. A little bit of everything you listed.

I dont think I'm ready for aging beer. I was reading about it and it just seems like something you could mess up. I dont like spending a lot of money on something and messing it up. Which is why I'm worried about what's in my closet now.

4. BigIslandfarmer

BigIslandfarmer Aspirant (264) Sep 30, 2016 Minnesota

Then your options are buy a dedicated beer fridge or quite buying beer until you have room in the fridge you have.

croush, jrnyc and Beer_Economicus like this.
  5. Hinda65

Hinda65 Initiate (125) May 7, 2017 Utah
    Trader

Keep your IPA's in the fridge and the rest in your closet...I've kept stouts, triples and quads in my basement which fluctuates from 60 in the winter to 75 in the summer for over a year and they taste just fine.... If your planning on "aging" beers more than a year then get something temperature controlled.

6. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Devotee (465) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa

Heat not's great for beer, but light is really bad. I'd keep your beer in the coolest place in your house, in the box. If it's a nice fresh IPA, put that in the fridge.

The homebrew world is full of guys buying mini-fridges and wiring up a temperature controller (for lagering and such). If you got real serious about that, you could spend $150 on a fridge and <$20 on the temp controller and be in pretty good shape.

7. Thenerdgothamdeserves

Im buying a fridge this weekend. Do you guys think the IPAs that are in my closet now are still okay?

8. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (402) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

It's not about "OK" vs "not OK," it's about your taste preference. More than that, it may be beer dependent.

Some people are freshness freaks and claim they can tell when an IPA is over a weak old. Others are fine with them being a month. Others 2. When the "freshness falls off" and the hop flavors start fading seems to differ for everyone, and may also be dependent on the beer. I can tell you that I have had some 2 month old M-43 from Old Nailn (a NE style IPA) and it was fine for me, while others have said they prefer it before 2 weeks. The same
    People have told me they can drink some IPAs close to 2 months after canning.

Only you can know by trying!

Also, less important how long they hbe been there and more important what the can date was. Goes for anything, not just IPAs, just most important for IPAs.

BigIslandfarmer likes this.
  9. Realsambo

Realsambo Initiate (86) Apr 15, 2016 Idaho
    Trader

I keep mine in boxes in my closet under the stairs, it stays around 60 down there. I've been doing it for years and never noticed any "bad" flavors. But as mentioned, keep your ipas in the fridge, unless you just want to see what happens. The difference is ipas get old, big beers get age.

10. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (76) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas

This is good advice.

11. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (76) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas

They will be ok. But, they won't be the same as fresh. Some fade fairly quickly while others hold on longer. I've drank year old IPA's that got lost in the back of the fridge that were drinkable. Others were so bland that I did not finish drinking them.

12. Thenerdgothamdeserves

Thanks for all the advice guys. From now on Ill make sure my IPAs go straight to the fridge. Thankfully most of the ones that were in my closet were sours and stouts.

I checked out the dates on the can and I think most of them just had a package date. Is this normal or am I an idiot that cant find dates on cans

13. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Canned on - packages on - bottled on - all mean the same thing: the date the container was filled. So, you're good. Not ever can/bottle has one. Sometimes they are on the packaging themselves, or in places extremely difficult to see/read.

14. Thenerdgothamdeserves

Yeah they definitely don't make it easy. Some of the cans looked like they just had a black line. I bought a mini fridge but underestimated how much I had. I loaded the fridge down with my IPAs. Ill leave the sours and stouts in the closet until I can find something bigger. I have them in cardboard boxes at the back corner. I didn't think I would accumulate this much but breweries I like keep coming out with limited releases or one time releases.

15. Beer_Economicus

Trader

My one mini fridge currently holds the beers that I want to properly cellar, and those beers that I want to have cold to drink when ready. It's sub-optimal to have it truly due double-duty, but it is what I have to work with right now. Looking forward to (hopefully) getting a second fridge - one just for cellar, and one just to drink. I don't even drink that much, so I guess I am really saying that I'd like to have more of my beers 100% properly collared.

16. Thenerdgothamdeserves

I don't think I'm ready to try cellaring yet. That seems like a whole nother beast to tackle. I would probably be more opted to try it if I wasn't limited with space in an apartment. Or maybe if I lived by myself.