Storing NEIPAs in ice coolers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by kane5250, Jul 10, 2018.

1. kane5250

kane5250 Initiate (100) Jul 10, 2018

Hi all,

Is there such a thing as too much ice to keep a NEIPA cool? Sometimes I'll make 6 hours drives and keep a bunch of fresh beers in my cooler (in my trunk) with a bunch of ice and I'm not sure if keeping something that cold for that length will kill any of the taste. I have noticed a difference, or maybe it's just in my head.

Greywulfken and GreenBayBA like this.
  2. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,712) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Beer Trader

Kill the taste? I shouldn't think so, haven't noticed that in the beers I've iced, but if it tastes a bit different to you perhaps let it warm up some.

3. moshea

moshea Devotee (432) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

It is freaking beer man. Buy it, drink it. Don't over think it.

4. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Devotee (496) Nov 23, 2017 California

Keeping it cold preserves the taste. As long as you're not freezing the beer, you're doing it right.

5. Squire

Beer Trader

Even if 'ya freeze it 'ya can still drink it, eventually.

LuskusDelph and flaskman like this.
  6. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (296) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

No freezing, no problem.

DEdesings57 and drtth like this.
  7. tzieser

tzieser Savant (930) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I could understand concerns over putting beers in the freezer or a fridge that tends to frost up, but a cooler fileld with ice? C'mon man, we all know coolers were made for storing beer. Why would this be an issue?

8. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (369) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I had a lower abv belgian style beer freeze solid in my truck, then sit in the fridge for 6 months and it was still good. I think your beers will be fine.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  9. readyski

readyski Aspirant (251) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

But to be sure you should go ahead and duct tape the cooler to the top of the trunk so it doesn't get too cold :wink:

10. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (586) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Yes! Don’t do it.

What I would do is a bunch of testing to ensure the perfect balance of ice to avoid being too cold and not too warm. It’s a delicate balance.

I would start with say a bucket of ice. Drive around with canned soda or sparkling water to avoid any beers being damaged. Do a test drive of 6 hours. Pour the beers and check the temp. Add a bucket or half bucket for each test. Continue until the optimum temp is reached.

Good luck friend!

11. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (148) Nov 10, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

No there is no such thing. I've done this on multiple Vermont trips and it was NEVER an issue. Storing them in heat is the issue.

12. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (690) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

I think this falls under the "I'm bored at work, so let me start a thread on BA" category.

All kidding aside, I find it funny how a lot of folks think NEIPAs are super delicate and need to be stored a certain way at a certain temp, and only have a 3 or 4 day window when it's "optimal", etc. etc.

A friend of mine stores all his NEIPAs upside down. I think we're overthinking things.

13. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,178) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

Well, having too much ice in your cooler is probably better than storing them in the oven while you bake a cherry pie.

14. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Disciple (318) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

Cold is good. Colder is better. That's why the expression is "crackin' open a cold one".

GreenBayBA and papposilenus like this.
  15. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (3,866) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Premium Member Beer Trader

As has been stated, storing them cold does not affect the flavor or aroma, but drinking them "ice cold" might affect your ability to detect certain flavors/aromas.

16. Tamarack

Tamarack Initiate (131) Sep 22, 2016 Massachusetts

...I think I hate beer

17. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Savant (958) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

One cube per ounce of beer. Any more or any less and you'll ruin your beer.

18. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (468) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

errr first post on BA and it's about too much ice on a NEIPA? I smell a troll..... What's next - you've got cracked SNAPA bottles?

19. flaskman

flaskman Zealot (583) Aug 3, 2015 New York
    Premium Member

Your kidding. Right? I was always told that you need to test drive for at least ten hours with the windows down to get any meaningful results.

20. GetMeAnIPA

Beer Trader

I like the way you think. Ten hours is probably right. That way if something happens along the way like a craigslist mule post or IP trade. Always gotta be ready for those whales if you come across them.

flaskman and GuyFawkes like this.
  21. GetMeAnIPA

Beer Trader

Then go back to the exact same place and buy the exact same beers without checking.

22. Squire

Beer Trader

Well, I ain't selling off my coolers. Wait a minute, when you finally buy those NEIPAs after waiting in line for hours do you just toss 'em in the hot trunk for the long ride home.

sharpski, GuyFawkes and beertunes like this.
  23. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (81) Dec 5, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

I remember that thread. In fairness, I was finding cracked SN bottles also. But I don’t think we ever heard from that BA after those few posts..... Too much ice? Give me a break.

OP, go buy a $300 Yeti. It’ll keep a single ice cube frozen for eight months. Otherwise you’re just throwing your money away on a $20 cooler that will only keep a $1.50 bag of ice cold for a couple days.

24. moshea

Beer Trader

This is OP's first pos
    I checked back in to say the same thing, OP has not logged in since posting this and this is his only post.

Any bets we still get to at least 3 pages of comments ?

25. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,288) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

Just doing my part to get us there

Troutbeerbum likes this.
  26. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (78) Nov 6, 2010 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

By the time you get home from your six hour drive, NEIPA have already gone bad. It's too late. They start depreciating immediately after you pull out of the lot.

meanmutt, Lahey and Dan411 like this.
  27. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (299) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Nothing could matter less. Craft beer is really bringing the neurotic over thinkers in hoards. Same type who spend so much time researching a workout routine, they never start one.

28. rfgetz

rfgetz Poo-Bah (2,314) Nov 14, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

If you just buy a craft beer flophouse at a convenient location in central New England, you could spare yourself those hot and steamy 6 hour drives

29. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (468) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Dude it’s a troll post....save your energy for the TH thread.

Troutbeerbum and papposilenus like this.
  30. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (3,071) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware

If you are that concerned with keeping it that cold in a cooler for too long, don’t do it. I had 4 cases of NEIPAs I kept in my trunk for over 24 hours as I drove home from Vermont at the end of June without even chilling them. 24 hours in the trunk of a car in 75+ weather, nothing to cool them, and they all still taste fine after 3 weeks.

Edit: If you feel it is killing the taste, maybe drink it warmer. Tired Hands always pulls their can straight from the cooler when the sell them and I feel they are too cold that day. I let them sit on my kitchen for over night and problem solved.

#30 larryi86, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  31. moshea

Beer Trader

Your palette is not refined enough to appreciate the extreme hop degradation that took place in those 24 hrs. The subtle notes of unobtainium are gone in 9 and 3/4 hrs

Squire, GetMeAnIPA, Lahey and 2 others like this.
  32. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (3,071) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware

Haha, I guess that’s true:wink:

33. papposilenus

papposilenus Champion (847) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

I DID THAT!

34. kane5250

kane5250 Initiate (100) Jul 10, 2018

Nope. Not a troll post. I'm sure I was overthinking things and...I didn't realize I needed to log back on to show I wasn't trolling? Death in the family will cause one to stay offline.

Look, I get it. It was a stupid post in retrospect. It may have more been an issue with my fridge because I realized recently I had set it too cold and things on my top shelf were icing over a bit. I was just making sure, a "stupid check". Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone!

35. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,489) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

This reference took way too long.

Although I still argue that helicopter is the way to go. Cut down on transit time and the altitude will act as a natural refrigerant--you won't even need the cooler at all.

rfgetz likes this.
  36. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,402) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

LOL exactly.... Cooler = Ice + Beer

What has the world come to. :rolling_eyes:

Cheers

tzieser likes this.