Stout fermentation/bottling question

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Bdalik, Nov 9, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bdalik

Bdalik Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 New Jersey

So I brewed a stout, and it looks great. Smells great too. Very excited on it. Used lactose, mashed higher so I'm hoping for a thick, chewy and rich stout. I used Safale US-05 for a clean, crisp yeast. Primary fermentation went well with a lot of action in the first few days, as to be expected with the high flocculating yeast. There's almost no action now that it's in secondary, which I'm assuming is regular? (I'm still new to this). My main question is how long do I really need to go on secondary? I was told 2 weeks, but waiting is the hardest part. I'd like to get it bottled ASAP. Also, do I still need 2 weeks on bottle conditioning? And what is a general consensus for the carb volume for a stout? As of right now, I'm priming with corn sugar and was going to aim for a 2.1 carb volume, but I am open to suggestions. Thanks!

2. PortLargo

PortLargo Pooh-Bah (1,737) Oct 19, 2012 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society

The first thing I would do is read this:
    https://www.morebeer.com/articles/conditioning

None of the following is what you want to hear:
    The earliest I ever drink a beer is 6 weeks after brew day. But a complex style usually requires more conditioning/aging. My stout-brewing friends tell me 6 months is a good starting point before drinking. Will defer here to other posters about aging Stouts.

Time to carb depends on a half dozen variables, but you really want to error on too much time versus too little (beer is improving with time). A 2.1 carb level is probably good.

A common theme on this Forum is many brewers are finishing the last beer of a batch about the time they should be drinking the first.

3. boothbeer

boothbeer Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009 Illinois

See my post on undercarbonating my imperial stout that I just posted: http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/uncarbonated-bottles-any-way-to-fix.352356/

When you transfer to secondary, you leave a lot of yeast behind. Then when you rack to bottling bucket, you leave even more yeast behind. I primed with 1/2 cup brown sugar for 4.75 gallons, and at 6 weeks in the bottle, I have no carbonation. I am obviously going to give it more time, but I am concerned there were not enough yeast to eat the additional sugar to produce CO2.

I am waiting for some additional responses to my thread, but you may want to look into pitching some additional yeast at bottling.

4. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Only if you want a good chance of having full carbonation. If you're willing to sample what may be an undercarbed beer, go ahead and try one at two weeks. Depending on temperature, yeast stain/health/count etc. it could be finished carbonating. But that doesn't mean the beer will be at its best yet flavorwise.

What kind of stout?

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  5. adamranders

adamranders Initiate (0) May 25, 2015 Wisconsin

Best advise I think there can be to a new(er) homebrewer is get used to waiting, and being patient. In almost every case and style time is your friend. The extra time in secondary will allow the remaining yeast to clean up the beer and remove/reduce off flavors. The time in the bottle needed to carb is a hard number to define exactly so more is better than less. And with a stout, time in the bottle nearly always pays off in the flavor.

boothbeer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.