Stout Recommendations

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Chowty, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Chowty

Chowty Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2019

As beer drinker, stout is my beer of choice. Do you have any good recommendations? Thanks.

2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,097) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

List out what you had to eliminate those.
    Cheers

3. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,379) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

It is also mine recently. Hard to say it’s not my favorite style when I drink more stout than anything else. Your location would help those here greatly to help you. And expect those saying humongous barrel aged stouts as well that aren’t readily available. Those who shun “shelf” beers. Your specific preference as to which kind of stout helps too. What stouts do you currently drink ?

traction and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  4. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,165) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Also, where are you located?

5. AWA

AWA Disciple (317) Jul 22, 2014 California

Location obviously plays into it. I go for Ten Fidy and Obsidian Stout fairly often. It's hard for me to get my mind around stouts in June. Not that there's anything wrong with drinking them in summer, I just tend not too.

6. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (329) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Look at the top beer ratings on here and untappd. This is such a deep rabbit hole. It depends how far you want to go.

Bitterbill likes this.
  7. XidefiX

XidefiX Initiate (42) Jan 10, 2015 Idaho

8. DokiDokiLitFam

DokiDokiLitFam Aspirant (295) Jun 3, 2019 New Jersey

To start, Old Rasputin as some has said above. Founders Imperial Stout if you can find any left hanging around. If you're looking for barrel aged stouts, Parabola, Barrel aged Narwhal, KBS, Bourbon County Brand Stout, are typically easy enough to find anywhere. But region is a strong factor and no one is gonna recommend you Luscious by Alchemist if you're nowhere near Vermont.

9. MusicBeer_1961

MusicBeer_1961 Initiate (126) Feb 23, 2014 Nebraska

The other thing is, we’d need to know where your palate is at. I’d love to recommend a plethora of imperial and bourbon barrel aged stouts that range from 10 to 15% ABV.. But if you’re more of a stout “newbie”, the Double Cream Stout by Bells, Breakfast Stout by Founders, Obsidian Stout by Deschutes etc are good additional examples. If you like stouts, you’d also like Porters and a couple good ones are Founders Porter and Anchor Porter..

All of these beers are pretty accessible nationwide and most should not be hard to find, nor break your pocketbook either..

Cheers!

10. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (642) Mar 28, 2009 California

Too vague OP. You can also start using the highest rated Stouts on BA that are in your area. Since it’s your favorite style my thought is you have had most readily available Stouts but just in cases here are my recommendations:

-ten fidy
    -obsidian stout
    -Sierra Nevada stout
    -founders porter (listed as a porter but if you like stouts you’ll like this
    -founder imperial stout
    -founders breakfast stout

11. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,712) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Welcome to the forums, Chowty.

Not knowing your location to be very specific, here is a link to the Styles page on this site. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/styles/ Scroll to the bottom and click on the stout style that you prefer and you'll get a list of beers that are ranked by most popular. The ones that are most popular are likely to be nationally distributed, thus easier for everyone (and you) to find. However, summertime is not prime stout season, so you may have to wait a few months to start seeing more of them showing up on store shelves. Good luck.

See also this current thread: https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/summer-stout-roundup.641637/#post-6937872

Peach63, Bitterbill, Shanex and 2 others like this.
  12. Argail

Argail Initiate (122) Dec 19, 2019 Louisiana

supernaut from 4th Tap
    black venom from Copperhead
    yeti imperial stout from Great Divide
    reve coffee stout from Parish
    rye hipster brunch stout from Odd Side Ales
    old mad joy baltic porter from Great Raft
    cbs from Founders
    porter from Founders
    siberian night from Thirsty Dog
    java cask from Victory

Shanex likes this.
  13. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Champion (800) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

All things considered... Bourbon County.

cd_beer_disapear likes this.
  14. Cstamp3084

Cstamp3084 Initiate (27) May 3, 2020 Maryland

Flying dog pearl necklace, Great Lakes Ohio city oatmeal stout, and left hand milk stout are my favorites

cd_beer_disapear likes this.
  15. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Devotee (441) Apr 16, 2012 Wisconsin

Depending on distribution access, where's the love for Central Waters. Satin Solitude is well underrated, Brewhouse Coffee is a great coffee stout example and any of their BAs are excellent!

16. Pereza987

Pereza987 Initiate (23) Nov 2, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Most stouts prairie makes are solid

jts211, Bitterbill and Shanex like this.
  17. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,537) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Chowty, don't limit yourself to only beers with the word "Stout" on the label. As regards contemporary brewing whether the beer is labeled with "Stout" vs. "Porter" is simply a matter of a business/marketing decision.

Permit me to recommend Founders Porter to you.

Cheers!

18. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,588) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

What’s your budget and location?

If you’re somewhat willing to spend over $10 for a beer, Bourbon County from Goose Island or Prairie.

If you’re looking for a cheaper, widely available beer then yes Sierra Nevada Stout, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout or a few brews from Founders could be an alternative.

19. Crslmn

Crslmn Initiate (19) Apr 18, 2020 Florida

My favorite is Founder breakfast stout.

20. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,008) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

IMO there are 3 types on Stouts. Stouts, Imperial Stouts and flavored Stouts. I enjoy Stouts, love Imperial Stouts and with 1 exception don’t care for flavored Stouts.

21. Junior

Junior Crusader (710) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

If you haven’t had it yet start with Old Rasputin.

22. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,414) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Not a clue where you are and what you’ve had, but I like sometimes like to get away from the big BA Stouts, so I’d say Kalamazoo Stout, that little bit of brewers licorice is imo terrific. And it’s different, the sameynes as has been discussed in another thread is a reality. They get big they get too sweet, so for me they get to be a bit redundant.

23. sjrider

sjrider Meyvn (1,011) Mar 4, 2016 California
    Society

Depending on location....
    Sierra Nevada Narwhal
    Sierra Nevada Barrel Aged Narwhal
    Founders Imperial Stout
    Founders KBS,CBS,Breakfast...
    North Coast Old Rasputin, Barrel Aged Old Rasputin , Old #38
    Alesmith Speedway Stout
    Dogfish Head Worldwide Stout
    Firestone Walker Parabola
    I think this is everything I have in my beer fridge and cellar.....and some stuff from Track 7 but that's Sacramento CA only....
    Oh wait.. anything from Revision out of Sparks NV...Have several BA stouts from them that I believe are extremely limited brewery releases only...
    Probably forgetting some but ya'll get the idea...go try everything and you'll figure it out...cheers!

Bitterbill and eppCOS like this.
  24. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (2,719) Aug 14, 2015 Texas
    Society Trader

Sierra Nevada Narwhal
    Deschutes Obsidian
    If you can get it: Jester King Black Metal Farmhouse Imperial Stout

25. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,196) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

If, by the off chance, you're in Wyoming or Colorado, Zonker Stout is what you're looking for.

eppCOS, Argail and SFACRKnight like this.
  26. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,454) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Seen these on shelves, gonna grab some next trip out.

Bitterbill likes this.
  27. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

cheeseheadinMinneapolis Devotee (446) Sep 20, 2017 Minnesota
    Society

Bells Kalamazoo Stout & CW Satin Solitude are my regular go to stouts. Plus some (not all) of Guinness's offerings too.

28. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Zealot (573) May 5, 2015 Illinois

Has everyone forgotten Yeti!

29. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (561) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

You probably can't get it, but I think Harvey's Imperial Stout is the best beer currently brewed anywhere. In any style. The only better beer I've ever had was Courage Russian Stout and that's long gone.

zid and Bitterbill like this.
  30. mickyge

mickyge Meyvn (1,140) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

You can't go wrong with the Baby, aka Founders Breakfast stout, for starters. For imperials or American's you can always count on anything from Evil Twin with the words Jesus in the title. Old Rasputin is a good one too. My all time favorite is Marshall Zhukov from Cigar City.

Bitterbill likes this.
  31. Bitterbill

Society Trader

I had an 08 in 13 and it was amazing! Fresh, is it that good?

32. Bitterbill

Society Trader

I had the pleasure of drinking the Courage on draught:
    http://untp.beer/7be1b02545

SFACRKnight and cd_beer_disapear like this.
  33. bret27

bret27 Champion (871) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

And chowty was never seen again.
    The End.

34. Gajo74

Gajo74 Poo-Bah (2,487) Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

Troll?

colby600 and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  35. bret27

bret27 Champion (871) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

I have no idea.
    It’s just funny because I was reading through trying to see when he followed up, but he never replied.
    He could still come back.

cd_beer_disapear and ColdOne like this.
  36. Gajo74

Society Trader

Love my share of barrel aged, bourbon, coffee, chocolate cake, Belgian waffle, donut, kitchen sink imperial stouts. However, when it comes to a no bullshit, straight up, no frills stout that’s easy to drink, Sierra Nevada West Coast Stout is my choice every time.

37. Gajo74

Society Trader

Very strange indeed. He/she joined in October 2019, has not rated or reviewed a single beer, only one post, which is the one that started this thread.

38. jts211

jts211 Initiate (154) Aug 5, 2018 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Agree but they are pricey per bottle (range is $9-$15per bottle in PA). Best pastry stouts in the game right now

39. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,097) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

OP, have not seen you back on to check your post? You try anything new from what people have suggested?
    :thinking_face:

eppCOS likes this.
  40. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (561) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

It doesn't really matter how old it is, as it ages really well. And "fresh" is a relative term. It's already been aged over a year before bottling.