Stouts: Looking for ones that finish clean

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PintOh1759, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PintOh1759

PintOh1759 Initiate (121) Oct 29, 2014 Missouri

So I'm having a bit of an issue in finding a new stout that i love. I am an IPA/DIPA guy all day every day but i do love guinness and thats about it in the stout game and it upsets me, I've tried a few stouts and porters and everyone of them has an initial good taste and then bam i get smacked with a chewing tobacco flavor and it makes me cringe. Would love to find a stout that dosnt do this and has more flavor to guinness cause to be honest its getting quite watery to me the more and more i drink higher IBU IPAs.

2. leantom

leantom Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2011 Indiana

Sounds like you don't like stouts that have a bitter aftertaste.

I would recommend the following based on my limited experience:

1. Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter and Oatmeal Stout (these are easy to find and don't have a bitter kick at the end)
    2. Prairie's Bible Belt (limited)
    3. Southern Tier's Choklat (seasonal but easy to find)

3. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (1,791) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/162/

DelMontiac, hoptheology and BeerMoto like this.
  4. PintOh1759

Yeah it seems that way, its a strange flavor that i just can't get past, sucks cause i love the beer up until the after taste, I'm drinking an old rasputin right now and its super upsetting because i want to like this beer in every aspect except the after taste

leantom likes this.
  5. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin

Maybe try some transitional styles such as black IPAs, hoppy porters, and hoppy stouts? Seems you get Victory up there. After a few black IPAs and hoppy porters, check out Storm King. Also try some stouts with additional ingredients like chocolate, vanilla, and coffee. Just don't give up on the style; I'm sure eventually you'll find a stout to love.

Ffenski, PintOh1759, gopens44 and 2 others like this.
  6. infuturity83

infuturity83 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 Massachusetts

lambpasty, PintOh1759 and cavedave like this.
  7. OldRickSputin

OldRickSputin Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2014 Illinois

Read about the stout styles and check out some reviews and recommendation threads in these forums.

Perhaps you're drinking them too cold. I usually take a few sips and then let them warm up for about 15-20 minutes.

walterk and lenbert like this.
  8. Vogt52

Vogt52 Initiate (0) May 25, 2014 Maryland

Samuel Smiths organic chocolate stout
    Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout
    Youngs double chocolate stout
    FBS
    Left Hand Milk stout

Buschyfor3, walterk, Brolo75 and 8 others like this.
  9. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,006) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Rogue Shakespeare Stout. Very clean flavor profile, not acrid or overly bitter hopped. Easy to get.

10. scottakelly

scottakelly Zealot (502) May 9, 2007 Ohio

Stepping outside of style boundaries, have you ever tried a schwartzbier? Kostritzer is very good and widely available. Very smooth roasted flavor, even more so than a dry Irish stout.

11. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

Guiness is more of a dry stout while Old Rasputin is a Russian Imperial Stout. RISs generally have an intense roasty char-like flavor. I liken it to a chocolate cake that was left in the oven just a bit too long and burnt on the outside. Some Russian Imperial Stouts are a little sweeter and sport a bit less char flavor than others. Stone's IRS and Oskar Blue's Ten FIDY come to mind.

You should definitely try some sweeter stouts like the milk stouts and oatmeal stouts mentioned above. I would also add Sam Adams Cream Stout to that list.

12. Shafaegalo

Shafaegalo Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2014 Texas

I had the same experience until I learned (the hard way like you) that Russian Imperial Stouts are not my favorite flavor profile. Once I stayed away from these I found my stout experience much more enjoyable.

PintOh1759 likes this.
  13. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2008 Georgia

If you enjoy IPAs, then try a more hop-forward stout. Victory Storm King remains the gold standard among such beers.

If you get it in your region, then De Struise Black Albert is another awesome stout that comes in at around 100 IBU. Belgian yeast adds to the flavor. Among RIS's, fresh Founders Imperial Stout is among the hoppiest. Look for it in early January.

Some fine recommendations from others, bit perhaps a hoppier stout will can serve as a bridge.

14. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,684) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

It says Alaska on your info, and seekabrew says you get 2x Stout from Southern Tier. I would look for RIS, and or coffee stouts if you can find them and start there, I'd not be inclined to go the Milk Stout route, i find them too sweet. Trading must be a bitch, shipping to AK would be an expensive obstacle, but if they allow legal shipping hit up some of the Ca on line stores and grab some Speedway Stout from Alesmith

PintOh1759 likes this.
  15. beerpirates

beerpirates Initiate (0) May 4, 2010 Belgium

Maybe try and find a struise black albert , just don't drink it to cold

PintOh1759 likes this.
  16. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,233) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Trader

Might be hard for you to get where you are living, even though i know they distribute pretty widely, but see if you can find a McAuslan St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout. For years, my wife only liked Guinness and the McAuslan was the stout that broadened her horizons. Of course, now she has her grimy fingers all over my pricey, hard to get barrel aged stouts. Be forewarned!

PintOh1759 likes this.
  17. Crackerbarrel

Crackerbarrel Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2014 New York

Anderson Valley's "Barney Flat's Oatmeal Stout." Relatively low abv (5.7%) but plenty of body and flavor.

If you like Guiness-type stouts, try this (not that its like Guiness....I just dont think it will have the flavor notes you're trying to avoid).

sharpski, woemad and PintOh1759 like this.
  18. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,440) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

The suggestion of a sweet stout might be the answer. Try a milk stout. Maybe even an oatmeal stout. Try a low alcohol stout too. The last suggestion is hard (and or expensive), try an aged stout. If all of these do not work you may not like highly roasted malt. If it is overdone I can get a rather unpleasant bitterness. You may be more sensitive to those tastes.

HeartofMiami likes this.
  19. JimKal

JimKal Zealot (504) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

Like the OP, IPAs are my favorite style and also like the OP I do have some fondness for a Guinness ( or ,even better, a Murphys). But as the days get shorter and colder I've been more attracted to the darker brews. MY current favorite is Sierra Nevada Stout. This time of year I've been reaching for that SN Stout even before (gasp) my various IPAs. I checked Seekabrew and you get SN in Alaska so it should be available. SN Stout rolls in at 5.8 ABV so you get a bit more mouthfeel than Guinness but still lets you have more than one than those high ABV RISs.

sharpski and PintOh1759 like this.
  20. Doug6322

Doug6322 Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2013 Florida

go with the breakfast stouts Founders or Wake n Bake (I actually want to have this instead of coffee in the morning) not to thin but I think both are fantastic and pretty easy to get

PintOh1759 likes this.
  21. APBT91

APBT91 Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 North Carolina

I never disliked Stouts but it took me a little while to really warm up to them, I now like them just as much as IPA/DIPA and probably drink more stouts than hoppy beers now.

Just keep trying them and maybe they will grow on you more too, if not, its no biggie, there are plenty of styles I'm not to fond of myself.

I will second Breakfast stout, and the Yeti's. I don't notice much bitterness at all with those.

chrismattlin, TCJ0100 and PintOh1759 like this.
  22. CatapultDowntown

CatapultDowntown Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2013 Colorado

I feel like a Guinness fan would really dig Left Hand Fade to Black Vol 1.

StoutBrotha602 and PintOh1759 like this.
  23. Fox82791

Fox82791 Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2014 New York

Avoid Founders breakfast and imperial stout, old rasputin, and expedition stout. All super bitter. I love sweeter stouts and my approach is to look at the beer reviews on this site and look for reviews saying it's sweeter.

PintOh1759 likes this.
  24. neckbeardnation22

neckbeardnation22 Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2014 Maryland

25. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,880) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Velvet Merlin

Brolo75, Redneckwine, woemad and 2 others like this.
  26. Dupage25

Dupage25 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

If you like IPAs (bitter) but don't like stouts because you find them bitter, then it's clearly the roasted barley you dislike. Avoid beers with lots of roasted barley in the grist. Alternatively, seek out any stout said to be pretty sweet. Cream/milk stouts are a good place to start, I would try Left Hand Milk Stout. Though they aren't necessarily sweet, you may also enjoy oatmeal stouts. Lusher mouthfeel. Give Samuel Adams Oatmeal Stout a go.

I would honestly just avoid any stout or porter over 8% for the time being. Yes, there are imperial cream stouts and imperial oatmeal stouts that are sweet with less roasted/charred flavor, but your best bet right now is to start small. Pretty much all of the imperial stouts you will find are going to be---at a minimum---twice as strong as the stout you currently drink. That's a pretty big leap to make.

PintOh1759 and JimKal like this.
  27. StoutBrotha602

StoutBrotha602 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2014 Arizona

28. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,092) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I would agree with everyone mentioning oatmeal/cream/milk stouts (especially oatmeal). For specific beers, Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout is definitely a good one. Also, I'm assuming you won't be able to grab a bottle, but Dark Lord is sweet at hell, so if you can find anyone who doesn't like it (and while I think it's damn good, a lot of people hate it), that might be a good one to try.

The other thing to keep in mind is that stouts in general, especially the high abv ones (and Barrel Aged versions) are something of an acquired taste; the first time I had Nightstalker (my first big, hoppy imperial stout), and especially the first time I had Bourbon County, it was a little too much for me. Once you've had other stuff, and kind of eased into it, you'll find that your tastebuds crave bigger and more complex things (not to the exclusion of the lighter ones, but in addition), and at that point you may find that there are plenty of more bitter stouts you really enjoy.

For my part, I don't really like bitter coffee stouts, and no matter how many I have, that doesn't change.

Roxie_B and PintOh1759 like this.
  29. StoutBrotha602

StoutBrotha602 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2014 Arizona

try this one..[​IMG]

crazyfoMostout and PintOh1759 like this.
  30. PintOh1759

Thanks for all the input and suggestions, really appreciate it, looks like i have a big shopping list to go off of now and should be set and hopefully find a stout i enjoy, if i can't from this list then maybe I'm just not a stout guy. Think I'm going to start out with an oatmeal stout tonight and see how that treats me.

31. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 New York

Plead The 5th
    Old Rasputin
    Founders Imperial Stout
    BCBS
    Big John
    Marshall Zhukov
    Velvet Merlin
    Dino Smores

All of the above make Guinness taste like what it is...the Bud Light of stouts.

Brolo75 and velcrogrip like this.
  32. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

I think I am similar to the TS. I will go for an IPA over any other style. I love super bitter, hoppy beers. But I don't care for bitter stouts. I recently had a Mission Dark Seas RIS that I didn't love because of the bitterness on the end. I much prefer a sweeter or dry stout. Left Hand Milk Stout is awesome.

33. Todd

Todd Founder (6,281) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Updated the title of the thread. "Stouts..." was vague.

PintOh1759 and Dupage25 like this.
  34. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (648) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

I just want to repeat this as it seemed lost in the oatmeal and milk stouts. German schwarzbier [translates to "black beer"] is also similar to the american black lager. There can be more variation among american black lagers, mostly in the amount of hops used, but both typically have a clean finish. You should be able to find some schwarzbier/black lagers near you from this list: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/31/

(Edit: @PintOh1759 I'd urge you take BA's ratings for schwarzbiers with a grain of salt... they aren't a style people here usually gravitate to and generate hype over, but they are good nonetheless and might be right up your alley based on what you say you dislike about many stouts)

#34 Ranbot, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  35. Jeremiah5_0

Jeremiah5_0 Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2014 Florida

Left Hand Milk Stout was my gateway into stouts. Now it's my favorite style.

geneseohawk and PintOh1759 like this.
  36. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

I'd say left Hand is your safest bet. Too bad you don't get Three Floyds distro Alpha Klaus (hoppy porter) would probably suit you pretty well. I think it's an abomination personally, but it sounds like it might be the sweet spot for you @PintOh1759

37. Vivs85

Vivs85 Devotee (410) Nov 29, 2012 New York
    Trader

I'm sure this has been mentioned but oatmeal stout by Sam Smith's as pure as the driven snow

walterk, scottbrew4u and PintOh1759 like this.
  38. DarthVorador

DarthVorador Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2014 Pennsylvania

:grinning: as soon as I read the OP's post I thought " Schwartzbier"! Read my mind brother! I like Sprecher Black Bavarian. Give it a shot OP, I think you'll like it.

PintOh1759 likes this.
  39. Hophazzard

Hophazzard Aspirant (292) Aug 16, 2014 California

On the lighter side, Samel Smith Organic Chocolate. On the heavier side, try the 2014 Abyss.

Buschyfor3 and PintOh1759 like this.
  40. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

first recommendation pretty much the best one.

for more oomph, maybe speedway stout.

definitely great divide oatmeal yeti (w/ raisin).

PintOh1759 and leantom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.