Stowe VT trip March 8-11

Discussion in 'New England' started by ppponte, Mar 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ppponte

ppponte Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2010 Massachusetts

Headed back to stowe for a ski trip friday through monday. Going to hit CBC waterbury on monday on the way back to boston. I go up every year but my question is this......

Due to lack of distribution to the boston area, any reccommendations on new or old beers that I have missed from Vermont? Frost and Upper Pass were my favorites from last year. Hate to make it a best of vermont thread but just curious if anything has flown under my radar or if any new breweries have opened.

I will pick up the usual Heady/Focal from alchemist. Havent had the pleasure of ever going to von trapp so will check that out. Almost positive I will not make the journey to hill farmstead due to timing but maybe after skiing one day if its possible.

Thanks in advance!

brutalfarce likes this.
  2. vtcraft

vtcraft Zealot (695) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

If you have time, head up to Burlington and hit foam. Also Stowe beverage (or something like that) has a good bottle/can selection

3. ppponte

Doubtful I make it to burlington (45 minutes or so opposite direction both ways). I did just read today the alchemist is distributing heady topper and focal banger across all of vermont now. Just wow

4. BigStein88

BigStein88 Savant (1,047) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

If you are traveling up 89 then River Roost in WRJ is worth the stop, especially if they have cans available. They have not had cans the last couple of weeks so check their website later in the week. If no cans, they fill most any growler, though they only carry the large screw tops so bring your own if you use smaller growlers.

Quisby and jhavs like this.
  5. GeoffreyWolken

GeoffreyWolken Initiate (162) Jul 22, 2017 Connecticut

Made this trip last weekend. If you want a good post mountain meal check out Lost Nation in Morristown and you can also take a slight detour on the way home to stop by Lawsons. The new taproom is awesome!

Quisby and DrinkingThe413 like this.
  6. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Maven (1,477) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

Yea Heady and Banger are pretty common in VT, I'd grab some BBC beers they make good stuff and CBC should have a large offering of their cans.

7. Quisby

Quisby Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2017 Massachusetts

Agreed on Lawsons. Awesome tap room! They seem to always have Double and Triple Sunshine to go too.

Also would recommend picking up some other cans from Alchemist like Crusher and Ouroboros.

DrinkingThe413 likes this.
  8. ppponte

I used to love BBC, but now I can get those cans in boston at fort point market. Maybe its because they are producing more but it hasnt really hit me like it used to. Going to try and check out river roost

9. CraigMack61

CraigMack61 Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2013 New Jersey

Upper pass has been doing some good hoppy stuff too. Frost always ends being some of my favorite beers every trip.

DrinkingThe413 likes this.
  10. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Pundit (791) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

Good Measure outta Northfield is cranking out some awesome beers that I don't imagine have Mass distro. CBC likely has bottles/cans. Ten Bends and Green Empire are newish breweries that trend toward the hoppy side but are putting out nice products.

11. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Pundit (791) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

Ohh, and 4Quarters is awesome too. All of these are available in my neck of the woods, but not 100% sure about CBC.

12. WTCrane

WTCrane Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2019 Massachusetts

CBC Waterbury will have Wunderkammer! Do yourself a favor and grab some.....and if you wanna do me a favor grab extras.

River Roost has impressed me as well, Thats a good tip.

13. BigStein88

Trader

River Roost does have cans of Glimpse, Mas Verde and Strong Suit out today, so definitely worth the stop. All three are great beers. You would have to stop on the way up as they are not open on Monday.

14. DrinkingThe413

DrinkingThe413 Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2019 Massachusetts

If you can find some Green Empire Brewing's IPA or DIPA I highly recommend picking some up. Hadn't heard of them (based out of Colchester) until I pick their stuff up at Brattleboro Food Co-Op last weekend. Pretty phenomenal beer.

15. ppponte

Kudos to those who mentioned river roost. I popped in on the drive up this afternoon had some 4 oz pours and grabbed some 4 packs. Absolutely restored the feeling of great craft beer from a couple years ago. Asked them if they distribute anywhere and they said no but some kegs go around and sometimes to doc ponds. I’m at doc ponds now and by far river roost best I’ve had and I just had two Hill farmstead pours

DrinkingThe413 and BigStein88 like this.
  16. BigStein88

Trader

When you venture down to Waterbury you should check Blackback. Last weekend they had 4 or 5 options from River Roost on tap, by far the most that I had seen at any bar, even Big Fattys, which is right across from River Roost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.