Strong Ale Freshness

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by djgustafson, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djgustafson

djgustafson Disciple (315) Jul 25, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

I'm thinking about picking up some Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shutdown Ale, but it's kind of old. It was bottled on 4/3/13, and it has spent a lot of the time sitting in the case in the cooler.

What do you guys think: how much will it have changed and what will those changes have been?

2. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,113) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, that is the best place for a beer that sits for a long time after bottling - cold and in the dark.

ChipMurray and Chaz like this.
  3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,843) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I have never drunk this beer but it appears to be a hoppy beer; below is an extract from a review for this beer:

“T: Hop character comes straight through. This might be listed as a strong ale, but it's definitely quite close to a DIPA. A little bit of caramel and candied sugars. Mild spice.”

My concern in purchasing a case of this beer that is over 5 months old is that the hop flavor/aroma will be diminished.

Maybe you would prefer a Strong Ale that is more malty then hoppy? If so, then buy this beer.

Cheers!

4. jcb7472

jcb7472 Zealot (522) Jul 13, 2011 Florida

I had this beer back in April or May and it was delicious. Since it's a high ABV, it might still be OK but it was also very hoppy so it's probably not going to taste like it should. Can you get a single of it if you just want to try it? Also, Brown Shugga will probably be out next month, so you could wait for that.

5. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (626) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

I love this beer, but it is pretty damn hot fresh. I would think with a few months on it, it would be excellent. it's still getting solid reviews as recently as a few days ago. i would pick up especially if it's discounted.

6. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Buy it. With it being in the cooler, as well as it being in the case, you won't be disappointed.

7. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

I have 4 bottles in the fridge right now purchased 4/20/13, bottled 3/22/13. Every time I reach for one, I see a few IPAs that need my attention a little more so they've sat in there since April. I do recall saving one or two last year but of course, being last year and being that I don't take notes, I don't recall how it tasted. With strong ales, I don't look for hoppiness to be the main aroma/taste and being 9.8%, it should be ok.

8. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2011 California

just had some with a buddy a couple weeks ago same batch its still drinking like a champ if it has been cold the whole time i would pull the trigger

9. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

IMO, hop forward beers, be it a 10% stout or a 9% American strong ale, need to be consumed fresh. the hops turn pretty quick and anybody can taste the difference. I had the undercover investigation shutdown ale back in April a few weeks old and it was very pleasing. had it again in July and it wasn't nearly as good compared to the one in April.

Kane brewing has a very good hoppy American strong ale.

10. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2013 New York

buy it...better with some age

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.