Styles You Want To Make A Comeback

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by REVZEB, May 22, 2019.

1. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (4,862) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Inspired by the styles you wish would go away thread, got to thinking what styles that have faded away do you wish would make a fervent comeback?
    For me I have two: Oatmeal Stout and Biere De Garde. Cheers!

2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,636) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Porters
    Oatmeal Stouts
    Quality Pilsners (Breweries do them but they are one offs etc. Would love to see a solid one on tap all the time).

3. Mark-Leggett

Mark-Leggett Champion (826) Jul 30, 2014 Missouri
    Society

I would love to see more ESB's

4. stevepat

stevepat Zealot (598) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

5. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,612) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I'm guessing that you don't regularly see Marble Pilsner then? That one is pretty great.

6. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,473) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Marble make it your way?

New Mexico actually has a nice selection of breweries with quality pilsners as flagships: Marble's is the best of the bunch, IMO, but Bosque's Lager, Santa Fe's Freestyle Pilsner and Canteen's High Plains Pils are all nice, always available Pilsner options in town

7. denver10

Beat me to it.

kemoarps, TongoRad and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  8. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Meyvn (1,363) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Eisbocks! I know it's legally distilling which is why many brewers don't make them, but to see more of this style would be awesome

9. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

I have not had it but just checked, looks like it comes in town. I will make a point of looking for it and snagging some when I see it. Looked it up on their website, sounds like a solid beer.
    :beers:

kemoarps, Premo88, tzieser and 2 others like this.
  10. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Will look for Marble this weekend. With summer hitting there is nothing better than a solid pils in the heat, cheers!!

kemoarps likes this.
  11. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (368) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

ESBs for sure. I just wish we had much more cask ales like England and Scotland do.

12. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,305) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

English Dark Milds
    Saisons (I know they haven’t really “gone anywhere”, guess I’d like to see more quality domestic versions made)
    Oatmeal Stouts
    Amber Ales

13. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (202) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

I've lost my taste for ESBs largely. I want my English ales with little if no caramelly flavor.

But I do really want an English bitter/pale ale focusing on the bready/nutty/toasty malts with some interesting English hops.

But those have never really been available here so I can't really say I want them to come back.

But I DO want more Maibock's to return. I was very sad that Rahr and Sons discontinued their Bucking Bock, I could always count on it.

DrOfGolf, MaxOhle, JrGtr and 3 others like this.
  14. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (99) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

SchneiderWeiss pretty much has a stateside monopoly on that one, thankfully its not a bad one.

15. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (99) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Glad I'm not alone.

16. WadeBridgman

WadeBridgman Aspirant (221) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I don't understand why Weizenbocks aren't more popular. Some US breweries have good expressions, Great Central & New Glarius come to mind

17. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,075) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

English IPA
    Summit used to brew a good one called True Brit. I drank it regularly, but apparently I was the only one doing so.

Metalsnota and Bitterbill like this.
  18. marquis

marquis Crusader (769) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

A few BAs mention ESBs but in these parts it was never a style but a product name. Fuller's brewed a Bitter at the stronger end of the spectrum and called it Extra Special Bitter , pure marketing.
    It is interesting that no other UK brewer labels a beer as ESB. Gales have HSB and Hicks have HSD. But just names.

19. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Aspirant (240) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

You read my mind. As much as I love the Aventinus Eisbock, it'd be nice having more examples that were consistently available.

20. stevepat

stevepat Zealot (598) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

You could probably get kuhnenn's raspberry eisbock from Michigan through a trade. It's pretty well regarded but I haven't had it

21. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,592) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I still love normal 'ol ambers (and their European forefathers like ESB) and browns. Feels like they're both on life support. Black IPA's have one foot in the grave. American stouts (a la SN Stout), too. I like all of those.
    While some other styles I really enjoy have never caught on (dunkel, weizenbock), I feel like they're at least thriving somewhere. With the American styles, when they fall out of favor they might just disappear.

22. denver10

It's a great beer, imo. It and La Cumbre Elevated IPA remain my favorite, most consumed beers since I moved to NM. Drinks great any season.

23. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Savant (965) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Yes. Would love to see more of this style. Aventius and Klommbucher. (Im sure I butchered both their names) only two breweries that make a decent Eisbock avaible to me.
    Yes their is Kuhnhenns. Which makes them in a few different flavors, blueberry, raspberry and another one I think :thinking_face:
    Very well done Eisbocks but come with a hefty price tag as well.
    I've seen Heavy Seas has one out, might be barrel aged too. Just not in my neighborhood as far as I know, yet. :beers:

24. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Crusader (726) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

Another vote for Black ipa.

25. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Initiate (192) Oct 29, 2011 New Jersey

Unfiltered Czech-style Pilsners

Hoppy Brown Ales

And I don't think these could make a comeback since the only one I can really think of off the top of my head is Carton Canyon, but craft adjunct dry hopped lagers.

26. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (261) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Make California Commons great again

27. keithmurray

We need more Bocks/Maibocks. Dopplebocks are well represented, but I can't for the life of me find any bocks/maibocks on shelves.

Loved Anchor Bock and I hope to be able to drink that again one day down the road.
    Even Narragansett Bock was a damned good beer for the price point.

28. keithmurray

I don't even know of any besides the OG Anchor Steam (that are readily available).

thesherrybomber likes this.
  29. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (70) May 18, 2017 England

Big, austere fifty-shades-of-black imperial stouts. Sure it can be fun to drink stuff that's amped up with lactose and salted caramel and blueberries and bourbon barrels and all that jazz, but every now and then I just want something that tastes like a Mahler symphony in a glass.

Gajo74, DarthVorador and Junior like this.
  30. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (209) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

I'd love to see more UK style beers in general. It feels like as far as distribution goes our options in AZ has dwindled quite a bit over the past few years and I haven't seen very many good local offerings.
    Porters (non-imperial and without adjuncts)
    Barleywines, we hardly get any here anymore and we used to have a good amount

31. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Savant (965) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

I used to really like black IPAs for a short stint. Founders made a few good ones. Dark Penance & Black Rye were my favorites. One that totally blew me away was their Project Pam. Barrel aged black IPA. Crazy good. After that kinda fell off from lack of the style... :smirk::beers:

mambossa and BrewsOverHoes like this.
  32. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Crusader (726) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

Wookey Jack was my favorite beer for a long time. Then it just kind of quietly disappeared.

Project Pam, yes! That one was really good. They did those styles so well, but I guess sales weren’t up to par.

Thenomad512, dcotom and drunkenmess like this.
  33. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (45) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

In addition to more Bitters in the US (and not just ESB’s), my main choice would be Dunkel lagers, with their rich, sweet elegance.

DarthVorador, Ceddd99, Glider and 6 others like this.
  34. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (590) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I'll third or fourth the vote for Oatmeal Stouts. Honestly I kind of wish all stouts were oatmeal stouts.

Luckily we do have a couple great ones around here, but it'd be fun to have more!

35. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (370) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

More rye beers. Of all kinds.

36. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,612) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Agreed with all of that, but especially West Coast Stouts- way too few of those anymore, and getting fewer (especially on the east coast).

37. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Meyvn (1,485) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

Black IPA
    Brown Ale
    Gruit

BigAlofOrion, Joe13, puck1225 and 3 others like this.
  38. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (368) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

What's the difference between an ESB and EB? I guess I was drinking EBs over there, not ESBs.

39. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (370) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

maybe a kolsch without any fucking fruit in it?

40. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,012) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

It seems that it is time for you to move to the Philly area. Plenty of high quality year-round Pilsners here. From 'old school' breweries like Stoudts (opened in 1987) to 'newer' breweries like Root Down (opened in 2017) and many in between.

Cheers!