subtlety & hops

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jlordi12, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlordi12

jlordi12 Pooh-Bah (1,844) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Any hops heads out there struggle with subtlety in other lesser hopped styles ? 9 times out of 10 I brew APA/IPA/IIPA, hoppy "blonde", hopper amber , etc, etc these beers leave me happy. It is the other 1 time that I'm left wanting to throw some DHs in the keg. I brewed a simple saision, lightly hopped with a simple grain bill. It is a nice enough beer (no obviously flaws) ,but I'm left unimpressed. Anyone else in the same boat?

2. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

Sort of. I can enjoy a 30-40ibu beer without dry hops. However, I do tend to use more hops than the BJCP says I should use for Scottish, British and Belgian styles.

3. MrOH

MrOH Grand Pooh-Bah (3,331) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

Most of my non-hoppy brews have more hop character than they should, mainly because I always utilize a 30 and 10 minute addition of 1/2oz so I remember to assemble my chiller (30min) and add whirlfloc (when applicable) and nutrient (10min). IBUS are always within range, but there will be always be a touch of hop flavor. For whatever reason, even if I set a timer, I'll just say "fuck it" if hops aren't involved.
    That being said, a saison can stand to have some extra hops.

jlordi12 likes this.
  4. jlordi12

jlordi12 Pooh-Bah (1,844) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

I tried to make a beer my wife will like. I might just bottle a dozen for her and dry hop the rest

5. MrOH

MrOH Grand Pooh-Bah (3,331) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

That sounds like a win/win!

jlordi12 likes this.
  6. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

I think there's a lot to be said for coaxing subtlety out of the grain bill. Yeast strains of course are a huge component as well. Achieving harmony of flavors is something that takes even longer and requires knowing your process and ingredients.

jlordi12 likes this.
  7. billandsuz

billandsuz Pooh-Bah (2,023) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

sometimes a beer can be well brewed but it still leaves you unimpressed. probably all of us have some beers that no matter what are not going to get us excited. Cali Common? Brown Ale? Pass.

adding hops for aroma or bitterness can certainly make things more exciting but if that is the solution you might want to think about other ways to mix it up as well. hops are great but there is a whole world of malt and yeast too. not to mention water. that is what gives me inspiration when I think I might be losing some mojo.

I like my Saisons to be Imperial btw.

Cheers.

jlordi12 likes this.
  8. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

I like massively hopped beers with subtle hop notes that aren't detectable in a conservatively hopped beer.

jlordi12 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.