Suggestions: add WCIPA as a style and notes when adding a beer

Idea Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by MutuelsMark, Sep 19, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MutuelsMark

MutuelsMark Grand Pooh-Bah (3,313) Jan 23, 2015 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Couple suggestions:
    Add West Coast IPA as a beer type
    Add ability when adding a beer to add the notes as you are adding the beer.

2. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

WCIPA is slated to be added as a style.

Adding notes when adding a beer isn't currently allowed, but I'd be open to revisiting it for certain users. We once allowed it, but disabled it as too many users were adding personal thoughts or full reviews as the notes.

mushroomcloud, Rug, eppCOS and 24 others like this.
  3. MutuelsMark

MutuelsMark Grand Pooh-Bah (3,313) Jan 23, 2015 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That makes sense. I like adding the brewery's notes when adding it, so currently I add the beer and go back to do an update. I would love to be one of the 'certain users' :slight_smile:

Rug, JZH1000, MrOH and 8 others like this.
  4. Amendm

Amendm Pooh-Bah (2,437) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society

I am in favor of more styles; this is definitely one of them and I think many members will be happy about this call.

"Chill haze or hop haze is acceptable at low levels"

This might bring back up the "Is this hazy or cloudy" debate. Good to see another "clear" and what I consider to be an original American style added.

rgordon, Rug, MrOH and 3 others like this.
  5. woemad

woemad Grand Pooh-Bah (5,197) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

When I find a local beer has their own notes and/or description, I copy that and post it on untapped when I add beers there. That's something I do wish I could do here, but I understand that can be abused by some clueless users.

MrOH, beergoot, PapaGoose03 and 3 others like this.
  6. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

So if WCIPA will officially become a new style, what becomes of the American IPA style? Is that just anything that doesn’t fit under West Coast, New England etc.? Any specific examples (well known beers) of what this would be?

7. Bhubbard34

Bhubbard34 Pooh-Bah (2,071) Mar 4, 2016 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

And what makes an imperial ipa?

beergoot likes this.
  8. Orca

Pooh-Bah Society

According to BA, an imperial IPA IS 7%-12% ABV, with increased use of both malt and hops. What I want to know is will there be an imperial WCIPA, imperial NEIPA, etc., or will that classification just stay the same? Pretty much all the imperial IPAs I’ve had are just stronger varieties of the current “American” IPA style, meaning bitter and hop-forward, which in the future will become the West Coast IPA.

9. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,303) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I've never considered Two Hearted to be a West Coast version of an IPA, and Founders Centennial would be like that too. So I think there'd be many in that American category.

10. Bhubbard34

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

So it sounds like a double or triple ipa….which most fall into the hazy style

11. Orca

Pooh-Bah Society

Yeah, the first one I thought of was Two Hearted. It has a little more malt backbone than something like Stone IPA. I guess the danger is that a lot of beers could probably fit into either category based on more subjective qualities. So unless you said “any beer over X IBUs is a West Coast IPA” it could end up being a slippery slope.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  12. Orca

Pooh-Bah Society

Well maybe they do now but that wasn’t always the case. Pliny the Younger for example. Been around forever and definitely not a hazy or New England style IPA.

BBThunderbolt, Bhubbard34 and steveh like this.
  13. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Well, that stinks. I always added the brewery's notes to beers I've added and like seeing their info.

MrOH likes this.
  14. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

They do? :thinking_face:

PapaGoose03 and BBThunderbolt like this.
  15. Orca

Pooh-Bah Society

I was giving @Bhubbard34 the benefit of the doubt, as I really have no idea what the predominant IIPAs are these days in most of the country (and I’ve more or less started avoiding most New England/hazy IPAs). Here’s a list of the most rated/reviewed IIPAs on this site—so we can judge for ourselves whether most of them are hazy or clear.

#15 Orca, Sep 19, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2023
  16. Roguer

Roguer Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,757) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Even though this is clearly spelled out in the reviews, I still find myself rejecting several Notes updates that are clearly just tasting notes and/or reviews. If there's a good way to vet that people know what they're doing when adding notes, it makes sense (I know most users are just trying to help).

WCIPA! Here we goooooo! :grinning:

17. Bhubbard34

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I’m saying if you look at the current “top” list of hazies, it’s a lot of Dipas and triples….which to me, sounds like the description for imperials.

18. Orca

Pooh-Bah Society

I’m looking at this list of NEIPAs sorted by number of ratings/reviews (default view) and most of them are in the 6%-8% range … a few outliers at 9% or 10%. (Sort by ABV and the highest one is 16%!) But maybe an imperial NEIPA category is in order if these are being added to that style solely because they are hazy and regardless of ABV. I don’t think they’d fit under what is traditionally thought of as an imperial American IPA (e.g., Ruination, PtE etc.).

Bhubbard34, Amendm and PapaGoose03 like this.
  19. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

WCIPA is the default 'American' IPA, and needs no further qualifiers. The other subsets are the ones that need to be differentiated.

mactrail, Amendm and Orca like this.
  20. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

So, they're really just high octane NEIPAs, not necessarily branded DIPAs that look like milkshakes?

Amendm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.