Suggestions: Buying Beer Online

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by psnydez86, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

Oh yeah, I freely admit they are making back some money by charging above market price, and I think it would be a not so great deal for you west coasters.

And sadly I did not order and Santification, as my weekly beer budget was already exhausted when it went up for sale.

2. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 California

Port Brewing Mongo Double IPA (22oz)
    $10.50

Shipping is not free - it's included in the price.

albertq17 likes this.
  3. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

"Beer budget" you say? What is this you speak of?

PhilsPils, Sharky and sliverX like this.
  4. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

Before you purchase beer online from out of state you should read this:

http://billybrew.com/the-ins-and-outs-of-shipping-beer

So that you are able to make an informed decision as to whether you want to knowingly break PA laws when you purchase from those stores or clubs that will ship into PA.

5. WesM63

WesM63 Pooh-Bah (1,567) Nov 6, 2011 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah

I've ordered a few times from morewines.com, when they had stuff in stock it shipped pretty quickly and yes it was expensive. (both per bottle and shipping) They are also nice guys, they emailed me when they were out of mirror pond and asked if i wanted to substitute it for Hope Henge before shipping the order. The site itself left much to be desired.

However, it's one of the few ways to get RR/Deschutes (and many others) out here in Ohio.

The biggest problem I've noticed is the lack of stock any of these places have. Even "Off the Shelf" stuff, it's a major hit or miss.

6. psnydez86

psnydez86 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

So I can recieve beer in pa if its thru ups or fed ex?

7. EgadBananas

EgadBananas Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2009 Louisiana

There's definitely going to be a mark-up, and while some may be considerable, others aren't quite so much. Also, for any given beer, you're bound to find that the price varies between markets. For example, the Pike XXXXXStout is available locally to me, and it's priced between $6-7 depending on the store. So, at I think $7.50 on LetsPour, that's not much of a mark up. Also, while I know some markets may offer Yeti for $7-8, a lot of online retailers have it for more without free shipping, and I'm pretty sure I paid $10 for a bottle in a Florida shop, which for less than a $1 more with free shipping, it's not that bad of a deal. If shipping wasn't free, shipping would be $15-25 depending on shipping distance for 6 big bottles, so to pay an average of +$2 per bottle is still a better deal.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that locals will probably see some of those bottles for much cheaper, but for others, it's a good deal, especially to get things you want that you can't get.

Schmittymack likes this.
  8. EgadBananas

Some sites say it's legal for them to ship to PA, others say they can't. I really don't know what to believe because some of those sites that ship to PA (such as LetsPour), do have some states that they say they can't legally to. Confusing to be certain.

9. drtth

In Memoriam

It appears that those who ship to PA either don't know the laws in PA or they figure that any prosecution will be targeting the recipent of the alcohol and not the shipper.

10. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

I could easily be wrong about this, but I'd think legally the onus would be on the shipper, not the recipient. If someone mails a kilo of pure cocaine to my house, is that my fault? Then again, if I ordered the cocaine on a website (letssniff.com), maybe the onus is on me...

Any attorneys or ATF/DEA agents out there who want to comment?

11. deadbody

deadbody Initiate (0) May 10, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

The onus would be on the company shipping, but the beer would be seizeable under tax law as contraband.

12. drtth

In Memoriam

Neither an attorney nor an agent here but PA law and alcohol law enforcement people are quite plain about this. The recipeint is legally responsible for having in his/her possession alcoholic beverages on which state taxes have not been paid.

mycorasta likes this.
  13. Scotchboy

Scotchboy Pooh-Bah (2,956) Dec 7, 2010 Idaho
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I bought Pliny from Quality Liquor online last week.

dman127 likes this.
  14. WesM63

WesM63 Pooh-Bah (1,567) Nov 6, 2011 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah

Just to add to this, i bought Pliny and Damnation from morewines.com. (They have Sanctification, but at $17/bottle it seems a tad bit steep)

15. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

Isn't that pretty much the same as all states? I know mine (VA) requires sellers to have a special license to ship booze into my state, but none of the sites that ship here have it.

16. totoropanda

totoropanda Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2012 New Jersey

I order some of the pliny last week from here stupidwinedeals.com also got some port brewing..

17. leedorham

leedorham Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Well I guess I'm just wondering why that needs to be mentioned when asking about online retailers. Not just with you, but it seems like a common qualifier people add when asking about buying beer online. It's like there's some need to apologize for it.

18. drtth

In Memoriam

Couldn't say about other states. I only checked it out for PA when I was looking into whether I wanted to join a beer club or buy stuff online. At least two PA bloggers about beer have discussed their findings as well (Lou Bryson and Don Russell, aka Joe Sixpack). Maybe if you check among VA bloggers you can find someone who has threaded their way though the alcohol laws there... Good luck though.

19. EgadBananas

I was mistaken, LetsPour does NOT ship to PA. I tried figuring out which states were omitted from his ship list in my head and apparently didn't catch PA when I looked it over. Makes sense, since the owner says that he openly abides by individual state laws for shipping alcohol.

20. GameFreac

GameFreac Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2011 Georgia

Do they ship to Georgia?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.