Suggestions: Buying Beer Online

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by psnydez86, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Apr 11, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Does Beverages4Less have an online store? The last time I was at their site, if I remember correctly, it was a nightmare.

2. TheSevenDuffs

TheSevenDuffs Jan 20, 2010 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Yes and no. You can't actually make a purchase on line. You have to e-mail them what you want and where you live and they will get you a quote and call you to get your credit card informaiton if you want to go ahead with the order. That's the main reason I have never ordered from them. Too much trouble.

3. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

If I pay for Fed Ex from Minneapolis they're trucking it to me in 5 days? When i order from freddie on a Fri i get my beer by the following Wed. I thought they flew it to the hub.

4. TheSevenDuffs

Beer Trader

Nope. Trucking. Just very efficient trucking. If you ever follow the tracking information (if Freddie sends you a tracking number) you'll see the stops it makes along the way. For example, the package that was just delivered to me from Idaho made stops in Spokane, Chicago, Syracuse and Buffalo before getting to its final destination in Niagara Falls, NY. Those are a lot of very cold places at this time of year. Depending on where you live it may be less of an issue. But your beer will spend a lot of time in trucks in sub-freezing temperatures at this time of year.

5. nc41

Beer Trader

Ah, thank you for the info, I learned something today. But I've still shipped winter stuff to all over without a problem. The insulation does just that.

TheSevenDuffs likes this.
  6. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Sep 12, 2012 Washington

I used to work in a wine shop (in Spokane, WA) where we'd ship all throughout the year. It was very rare but a couple of shipments came back damaged where the bottle froze and pushed the cork/wine out of the bottle or broke the glass. These were wines so were around 12-16% abv. Definitely the reason I don't do trades right now.

EDIT: in styro shippers too

7. nc41

Beer Trader

Please don't let my BCBS freeze and pop the tops. How cold is it in Chicago?

8. 4kbrianb

4kbrianb Jan 2, 2013 California

let me just say thank you! I may have been the only person not aware of these people, but I am glad i know now. So thank you again. wellp, there goes any money I wasnt going to pay bills with. Don't tell my wife!

9. dumpman

dumpman Feb 6, 2010 Rhode Island

fedex and ups shipments west coast to midwest and east coast are often loaded on a unheated box trailer and shipped via the rails to a hub where it is sent out via highway. Beer will not freeze as long as the package is moving but if it sits for a long period of time in freezing temps you will have a problem.
    Shipping thursday your shipment will probably be in transit on the rails over the weekend.
    Check weather reports prior to sending it out.

10. Stevedore

Stevedore Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

interesting I wonder how they're packaged at most of these sites.

11. dianimal

dianimal Apr 18, 2012 California

I don't think I should know about this website. :eek:

4kbrianb likes this.
  12. fredmugs

fredmugs Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I did a buy and Fred called me up and it worked out really well. Scored a few Alpine beers that were awesome and when he was out of Blind Pig he gave me a Knee Deep Simtra for the same price. Can't get these in Indiana

[​IMG]

dsal89 likes this.
  13. TheSevenDuffs

Beer Trader

Before you get too excited about this site... 90% of the beers they sell have the shipping cost build in. So it doesn't look like you are paying for shipping, but you really are.

14. dmeadows

dmeadows Aug 6, 2002 New York

I live north of you and have been buying beer online for years from a variety of sites. I have never had a problem or frozen beer. Just today I picked up a shipment at UPS from Malt & Vine and last week it was Bine & Vine.

15. Dan_Bowman

Beer Trader

Merwins has Abrasive @ $17 + shipping. It's the only place I know of that has Abrasive online right now. Does that seem high or average?

16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Beer Trader

Haskell's has it online for $15.99.

17. HipsterBrewfus

HipsterBrewfus Jun 3, 2012 Maryland

I'm on letspour.com and have some thoughts:

A) I know for a fact, that a lot of these bottles sell near me for at least 4 or 5 dollars cheaper than what they are listing.

B) I know I get free shipping with 6 bottles or more, but considering my cost after 6 bottles would be about $30 more than shop price, I'm not really getting free shipping at all.

C) Fuck that.

D) Im not a fan of trading, because of my own weird issues, but something like this makes trading seems like a no brainer.

xShoWTeKx and TheSevenDuffs like this.
  18. nc41

Beer Trader

france44 is $15 a 4 pk, just received a box on Thurs.

19. Dan_Bowman

Beer Trader

I have heard that. Just been waiting for them to post them online, they keep telling me "maybe next week".

20. Dan_Bowman

Beer Trader

Thanks, I will check them out!

21. nc41

Beer Trader

I order over the phone and I order thru Carin, it's not listed on their web sight, it's not updated because of the holidays. It's an end of Nov to Jan deal so you'd better hurry before it's gone.

22. Dan_Bowman

Beer Trader

I should try that...

23. nc41

Beer Trader

They're open on Sat i believe.

24. Stevedore

Stevedore Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Devil's advocate- it's probably more useful for the bottles you can't get locally even for inflated prices. And if you're busy with work or whatever, maybe don't have anything for FTs, it's ever so slightly easier to just pay someone a premium to ship it to you. I mean, driving a hour one-way to a store to hunt some semi-whales probably costs you $5-10 in gas anyways.. so 2 hours of your time, $10-15 and having the beer now versus $30 to just receive it at your house a week later. Of course this depends on the bottles you want.

25. nc41

Beer Trader

I don't believe france 44 inflates their shipping costs, certainly the place I ordered stuff from Fla didn't either. I can't ship a box of beer in a trade for what I pay online. By the time you count in Xtras and such most Fed EX bills for me are 18-20+ bucks. france 44 sent 8 Abrasives for like 13 bucks I believe, and the Fla store 2 sixers of Cigar City stuff and a 4 pk of White Oak for 11-12, but they added on a $6 fed ex charge, but still that's 16 beers for 17 bucks in shipping, and it's LEGAL.

26. HipsterBrewfus

HipsterBrewfus Jun 3, 2012 Maryland

I decided to give letspour.com a shot.

with the $10 off first purchase and free shipping, it only ran me $50. Not bad, averages out to >$10 a bottle. I'll take and happily admit I was wrong.

Here's what I got.

Left Hand Brewing Fade to Black Vol. 4
    Justice Brewing "Whiter & Nerdier" Belgian-Style IPA
    Full Sail Brewing LTD 06 Limited Edition Lager
    Bear Republic "Racer Five" IPA
    Left Coast "Hop Juice" Double IPA
    Samuel Adams "Thirteenth Hour

27. fredmugs

Beer Trader

I have to give a shout out to Holiday Wine Cellar. They had an end of the year deal of free shipping with a $75 purchase. I got a few beers of fame and some other beers I already love. Turns out a couple of them were not in stock. I was called to see if I wanted to a replacement and I asked if they had RR Supplication and was told no but they were expecting a Pliny shipment on Friday. Got an e-mail Friday that the Pliny was in and the woman I spoke with hoarded it for me and I completed my purchase today with 3 more Beers of Fame, two beers I already know I love (Port Mongo and Uinta Hop Notch) some Drakes, some Firestone Walkers, and a couple of Pliny's. Free shipping and no tax = hell yeah.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  28. FishAndBeer

FishAndBeer Mar 11, 2011 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

lets pour is nice.. i like how you can search breweries. $6.00 a bottle for some of these beers seems a little steep to me though.. but if you want it bad enough I guess you will

29. markgugs

markgugs Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

thanks to this thread, I took a shot and bought a box thru Archer Liquors. got 12 Tyranena beers for $47 incl. s/h, so I'm pleased with that. No other way for me to get those, hope they're fresh!

30. HopFace

HopFace Feb 29, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

You could have traded for a lot less than that. Archer's boxes are way way overpriced. But like you said, they will probably be fresh.

31. markgugs

markgugs Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

yeah, I don't trade. I used to, a lot, when I worked from home, but now I 1) don't have the means to go whale-hunting, or 2) time to do it on weekends only since I work in the city. So for me personally, under $4/bottle for a bunch of beers I want and can't get here is a fair deal

beerindaglass likes this.
  32. xShoWTeKx

xShoWTeKx Jan 21, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

FaradayUncaged likes this.
  33. HopFace

HopFace Feb 29, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

xShoWTeKx likes this.
  34. Chelsea1905

Chelsea1905 Sep 3, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

Anyone know a place online I can get CA IPA's (Kern River, Russian River, Ballast Point, etc). I'd love to try some of them, and usually would trade, but in case I don't have much to trade at the time, I'd like to know somewhere I can get CA brews?

Thanks.

35. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has discovered Holiday Wine Cellar. I've ordered from them three times now and have always had a pleasant experience. I too had an issue with trying to order something that ended up being out of stock, but they've always called me and made sure I got a good replacement that I was happy with.

dianimal likes this.
  36. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Try Holiday Wine Cellar. They are based in SoCal and have a pretty solid selection of California beers. I couldn't tell you specific brands off the top of my head though...

Chelsea1905 likes this.
  37. Chelsea1905

Chelsea1905 Sep 3, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

They have some Ballast, and then they also have a couple Russian River, so thanks. Unfortunately no Alpine or Kern.
    But I'll definitely keep them in mind

38. nc41

Beer Trader

alpine = beverages4less in SD ask for Freddie. The freshest Alpine you can get outside the brewery.

SSEngelbrecht and dianimal like this.
  39. fredmugs

Beer Trader

The only time I have had Alpine I got from there. I think it's real hit or miss so I would definitely call and not rely on what's posted on the website.

40. nc41

Beer Trader

Yes you have to call and he gets Alpine deliveries on Thurs or fri every week so it's always fresh. Ask for Freddie.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe