Suggestions for all-purpose beer glass

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Voyaging, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voyaging

Voyaging Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2015 Ohio

I tend to drink my beers out of bottles, but I wanted to switch to start using a glass.

I just mainly want to buy one good glass that I can use for every beer I drink (though if it's absolutely necessary I can buy more). Suggestions? Thanks.

Greywulfken likes this.
  2. jamesgaither

jamesgaither Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2009 Kansas

3. deadsincebirth

deadsincebirth Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2014 Illinois

Snifter or tulip should be sufficient.

jakemn91, Beestin, irrevjim and 9 others like this.
  4. Nickcal

Nickcal Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Rhode Island

I have three suggestions. Supposedly the Nonic glass is the generic glass that is used for most beers. But I'd recommend going another step further and getting either a snifter glass or the famous "Barrelworks Rastal Teku". Though I have not used the Teku, I hear good things. I have about 10 different glasses though and use whichever calls for the specific beer.

5. Kuaff

Kuaff Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2013 Alaska

I agree. Though this site lists some specific styles that each type of glass are great for, I find that pretty much any beer style smells and tastes fantastic in my tulip or snifter.

beerluvr and 2beerdogs like this.
  6. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,937) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Tulip. Makes drinking even milk enjoyable.

srgehl, louied825, Beestin and 5 others like this.
  7. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2012 Texas

There's not much in the way of beer that I think is poorly consumed out of a tulip or snifter although unless you are drinking something particularly aromatic you won't lose much of the experience with a shaker pint glass.

8. pagriley

pagriley Meyvn (1,020) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois

9. besch64

besch64 Initiate (62) Mar 16, 2013 New York

As others have said, a tulip is the way to go. If you can't find any, a Yahtzee cup will work fine too.

JMS1512, zeff80, 2beerdogs and 5 others like this.
  10. HattedClassic

HattedClassic Poo-Bah (2,871) Nov 23, 2009 Virginia
    Society

Heresy. At the very least, you need three glasses: a mug, a nonic, and a snifter. With those three you have most of the different beer types covered except for Pilsners, which you should definitely buy a separate glass for because they're pretty cool looking. Oh, and a Teku glass because why not? Now repeat a hundred times with a different brewery logo on each glass.

#10 HattedClassic, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    brureview, Roguer, 2beerdogs and 5 others like this.
  11. Voyaging

Voyaging Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2015 Ohio

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I start shopping around for a tulip glass.

I found what appears to be a large wine glass from among old dishware. I noticed in the BA glassware guide that an oversized wine glass is fine for some beers. This one is a tad too small (just barely too small for a full 12-oz beer+head), but otherwise is nice. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

Bo_bandy, nc41, Roguer and 4 others like this.
  12. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

Red wine glasses with large bowls work well too.

Edit: Which I see you just figured out for yourself while I was typing.

Gemini6 and rozzom like this.
  13. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

The glass should be 14-16 oz so your foamy head doesn't spill over.

riverlen and Premo88 like this.
  14. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (430) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

in my ever so humble opinion, if you're going for a set from BB&B, go for the set of 6 http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/dailyware-trade-craft-brew-beer-tasting-glasses-set-of-6/1018465779?categoryId=12932
    You get all the basic glasses "needed" for most styles of beer. I understand it's not quite the point of the OP looking for 1 glass fits all, but it'st still a heck of a deal.
    For 1 and only 1 glass, though, I would either go with a tulip or a rounded pint, similar to the Sam Adams Perfect Pint / Dogfish Speiglau but not as exaggerated.

cjgiant and zachpaschal like this.
  15. lucasj82

lucasj82 Zealot (577) Aug 13, 2009 Indiana

Sam Adams perfect pint. Love the glass, but I just wish I could get it without a label. If I could get a blank I wouldn't use another glass.

16. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (520) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania

My favorite all purpose (for everything except wheat beer, stout and belgians) is a strait sided .2 liter fruh glass.

WellRested518 and EggsBenny like this.
  17. zachpaschal

zachpaschal Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2014 Indiana

Agree with the 2nd or 3rd response: can't go wrong with a tulip or snifter imho

18. Sponan

Sponan Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2008 Tennessee

Although something large enough to hold a 12 oz serving is probably preferable, the shape is just fine and topping off should not hamper your enjoyment. As others have stated, a tulip is probably your best option for an all purpose glass. An oversized wine glass is a perfectly acceptable option, and they can usually be found in dollar stores and such. Certainly would be the most cost effective and easiest to find option.

19. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,809) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

I'm in agreement with SAPP...brought one with me on current cross count trip.

20. silverking

silverking Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2012 Florida

What ever happened to the conical pint glass?

21. J-Rye

J-Rye Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2014 New Jersey

Make sure you have a hefeweisen glass to go with the snifter you'll need.

22. PJ_

PJ_ Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2014 North Carolina

23. nbrio85

nbrio85 Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2015 Missouri

I use my IPA or Stout glass made by Spiegelau for most of my poured drinking and I must say that I love that glassware. A large bowled wine glass or goblet could do as well.

Peter_Wolfe likes this.
  24. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

Surprisingly, this vessel does not get much appreciation around here.

[​IMG]

25. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa

I came to say tulip, but this looks very versitile. Where's this being sold.

Gemini6 likes this.
  26. Zaktcc

Zaktcc Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2014 Maryland

I personally think my 3 go-to glasses that can accommodate any style of beer are: snifter, pint glass and mug. I would say I prefer using my pint glass the most.

hudsonvalleyslim and silverking like this.
  27. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

This right here. I use this style for ... most styles more often than not.

28. lysergicdream

lysergicdream Initiate (0) May 13, 2010 Colorado

so, this isn't the most practical advice but what about beer drinking is truly practical? I would go to your favorite brewery, buy one of their branded glasses that has a stem (i.e. not a shaker pint because those are terri-bad) and enjoy drinking a vast multitude of beers out of it because it is your glass that you chose. yes, there are differences in the variable head retention and aroma gathering in the different form factors of glasses but honestly, find one that you like and enjoy drinking out of.

ManBearPat, MUTINY and sharpski like this.
  29. PJ_

It's the Libbey #3807. Did a quick search and only could find it by the case. Most breweries use it as their go-to Tulip so it should not be hard to get a branded one.

Scott17Taylor likes this.
  30. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,915) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

I picked a couple like this at Bevmo, I think they were $5 each. Very sturdy, dishwasher safe, all-purpose go-to tulips. Bought these after breaking both of my fancy Riedel (or Spiegelau) tulips while hand-washing them. Those were nice but fragile as shit.

You can also often find good bargains at the thrift store.

31. TurkeyFeathers

TurkeyFeathers Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2014 New York
    Deactivated

A funnel and don't look back

Gemini6, Derranged, Sumdeus and 10 others like this.
  32. Scott17Taylor

Thanks I shouldn't have too much trouble finding branded ones was just hoping to get a few shipped all in one shippment.

PJ_ likes this.
  33. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2012 Texas

Like everybody else recommends get a snifter or a tulip and you can use it for most beers. Let your friends and family buy you other types of glassware as presents. You get something you truly like and it doesn't cost them a lot of money... win/win. I have about 2 complete sets of every kind of beer related glassware you can find and I got most of them as gifts. It's nice to have extras to cover the inevitable breakage.

34. Scott17Taylor

I'll have to check Bevmo out $5 is a steal if they're sturdy.

35. Hrodebert

Hrodebert Aspirant (265) Sep 2, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Thanks a lot you guys, now I gotta go buy more glassware.:sunglasses:

JrGtr and pagriley like this.
  36. mjc255

mjc255 Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2012 Pennsylvania

This is the correct answer for basically every IPA or DIPA.

Might get a little wonky here, but is this considered a "tulip" glass? I think of a tulip of something that flares out a little more at the top. So what is this called exactly?

dddddddd, Gemini6 and 2beerdogs like this.
  37. PJ_

I've heard tulip, and I've heard snifter. I like to think of it as a hybrid of those two.

Gemini6 likes this.
  38. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

This is one glass I could never quite wrap my head around

[​IMG]

39. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,079) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

The problem with the Duvel tulip (a piece of glassware that I love) is that all your beers are gonna say, "Duvel," on them - and even if you don't look at it, you know it's there.

I'd say you need three items if you're really looking to get into beer. A generic pint, tulip, and snifter. The pint is gonna be your most solid choice, as it covers a wide range of styles and has a manliness to it. If you're only going to go for one, go for a pint glass (I'm partial to the nonic style). When you have a Belgian ale, or something a little, "dressier," the tulip is a better choice. And when you're drinking a high-abv, heavy sipper - 'specially if it's been barrel-aged, you're gonna want a snifter.

40. Hrodebert

Hrodebert Aspirant (265) Sep 2, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

That's funny because I have a Gulden Draak Tulip with the same problem, but I can usually drink my way through it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.