Support the USPS Shipping Equity Act

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mlm61, Jul 19, 2022.

1. mlm61

mlm61 Initiate (111) Jun 16, 2016 Connecticut
    Trader

If you want great beer in your mailbox, let them know.

Take Action: https://p2a.co/xsQKtCV

[​IMG]
    Did you know that the United States Postal Service (USPS) is not allowed to ship alcohol? Because of archaic laws, the USPS cannot deliver your favorite brew to your home – even in states where it is legal for private carriers to do so.

Good news: Key members of Congress, alcohol beverage producers, and postal unions are trying to fix this.

Earlier this year, legislators introduced the USPS Shipping Equity Act, which would allow the U.S. Postal Service to mail beverage alcohol products directly from licensed producers – including breweries, distilleries wineries and cideries – to legal-drinking-age consumers in states that allow direct-to-consumer alcohol shipping (DTC).

This legislation would have a far-reaching effect on your local craft breweries! Letting the USPS ship beverage alcohol products would allow for increased competition and make it easier for beer lovers in rural areas not served by private mail carriers to enjoy great craft beer.

https://www.craftbeer.com/news/usps-shipping-equity-act

###

2. SDReaper

SDReaper Crusader (712) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

In a statement, the American Postal Workers Union said it supports the expansion of the agency’s services to include alcohol delivery:

“Allowing the USPS to ship beer and wine is a common-sense step that allows customers better access to this growing trend … There’s no good reason why beer and wine couldn’t be included with other mail and packages.”

Translation: "Look, we already know it is being done. We are pretty positive that there aren't that many artisanal bbq sauce producers nor horse semen sample collectors out there. So lets just remove this old law so that we too can have that piece of the pie that fedex and ups are currently taking big bites of."

3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,565) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

4. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (967) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

While we are at it stop the subsidy going to Chinese shippers.

Enjoy

md3kcn, WunderLlama, mlm61 and 3 others like this.
  5. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (9,639) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. As @PapaGoose03 said ... "Done"! :+1:

tolar111, Bitterbill, woemad and 7 others like this.
  6. Resistance88

Resistance88 Devotee (452) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

I never shipped horse semen or BBQ Sauce but i have shipped tons of homemade Small Batch Olive Oil and Hot Sauce

7. MadMadMike

MadMadMike Aspirant (296) Dec 11, 2020 Florida
    Society Trader

Yep. “Dear Gov. DeSantis”.,.

woemad, PapaGoose03 and jzeilinger like this.
  8. AWA

AWA Defender (632) Jul 22, 2014 California
    Society

There is a chance I might have shipped a crapload of stuff labeled bbq sauce or horse semen But regardless, let's just say "done"

9. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,487) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Sure, I want great beer in my mailbox (well, I'd prefer it in the beer fridge. My mail carrier will usually leave bigger packages in my garage and it's only a few more feet to the beer fridge in the mud room...).

But I don't want to pay 50% more for the beer and then pay the postal shipping charges that will come close to doubling my final per can price. So, I'll continue to buy the locally available beer, conveniently picked up at a local liquor store with a broad selection, the ability to see packaging dates and "self-ship" it to my home in my own vehicle.

bmugan, ZebulonXZogg, LeRose and 6 others like this.
  10. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Disciple (381) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

It'll cost a fortune in shipping charges & probably be broken and abused, but what the Hell, why not?
    Some places may offer free shipping if over a certain amount? Maybe?
    Nothing like having your case of hundred dollar beer sitting in the sun on your porch until you come home.
    There are so many ancient alcohol laws that need reformed, especially in Pa. That would require those lazy sunz-a-bitches actually getting off their over paid arses & doing their jobs though.
    Drink local.

11. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Poo-Bah (1,832) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Society Trader

I have often shipped "yeast samples."

I need to know - has anyone actually claimed that their package contained horse semen?

jakecattleco, PapaGoose03 and woemad like this.
  12. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,247) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

I don't order hundreds of dollars worth of beer from retailers. I do, however, take part in BIFS and periodically swap boxes of beers with friends in other regions, so I fully support USPS joining the post-prohibition world.

tolar111, sulldaddy and BBThunderbolt like this.
  13. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,247) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

I've shipped "unfiltered apple cider" from central Washington orchards.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  14. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (737) Mar 28, 2009 California

this is to allow breweries and businesses to ship alcohol. A lot of other carriers allow it in various states. But it’s never legal for a consumer to ship alcohol to consumer. Just too many laws around alcohol to allow that. Most carriers require an adult signature on delivery to ensure beer isn’t being delivered to minors.

jakecattleco and PapaGoose03 like this.
  15. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,126) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

16. Resistance88

Resistance88 Devotee (452) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Just wondering out loud...

I wonder if USPS will require you to state whether its Alcohol you ship and if that will come with an alcohol tax , cuz we all know uncle sam loves doing that.
    I understand that this is more for brewers and i love that this is happening . For me as a person, knowing that asshats at UPS and FedEx have been known to steal beer and deliver empyty bottles i will never stop shipping my Homemade Olive Oil .
    Hope this passes cuz small brewers have enough shit do deal with as it is competitively.

arizcards likes this.
  17. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,807) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Large flat rate box is $22, 2-3 days anywhere in the USPS system, and holds 16 16oz cans. It's the most economical way of shipping beer. Medium FR box is $16 and holds 12x12oz cans. So sources tell me.

18. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,807) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I know a guy whose business is selling horse and bull semen, and he always uses Fedex overnight. The stuff has to be shipped with dry ice. stuff is expensive, and he makes a very nice living.

19. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,079) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

there are businesses that will pack and ship alcohol for you though. in my area neither of them will currently do beer, only wine. i wonder if this will change their policy?

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  20. GetMeAnIPA

ideally yes. Wine has a lot less shipping restrictions than anything else. Until recently UPS never allowed beer to be shipped. Now they do but still with restrictions of course. The hardest thing about shipping alcohol across state lines is each state has their own laws. A reason some companies don’t think it’s worth the hassle and or training. The shipper has to know the laws and restrictions for each state. In CA I think that’s why so many just do interstate shipping.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  21. GetMeAnIPA

I helped a customer ship horse semen international. After stallions are done racing they just use them to stud out or sell their semen. I was told the average price was like $500k. The more races horses win they could be millions.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  22. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (121) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

Anyone else curious about what the non-alcoholic provisions of this proposed "act" are? I depend on the USPS for a large part of my livelihood, and with certain government forces attempting to kneecap it and replace it with all private delivery for the last 20 years, I don't trust anything before Congress relating to the PO.

23. turfy

turfy Disciple (325) Mar 17, 2010 Texas
    Trader

Unless I was shipping out a load of Shiner, I would not trust a box of beers to the USPS.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  24. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (11,420) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Done. They even had Rev as an option :sunglasses:

25. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,405) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

Okay, I signed the petition; I may never order beer through the mail, but I like to have the option. I hope no one from the government comes knocking on my door late at night...:astonished:

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  26. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,565) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I received a thank-you email back from one on my Senators today. When it come up for a vote she says she'll keep in mind my support of this bill, which has been in committee for over a year. She signed it "Debbie" so we're now on a first name basis. :wink:

27. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,654) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

You’ve restored my faith in democracy, @PapaGoose03

28. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,789) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Yep, none of that 'juice' is going anything but overnight on dry ice. Far too valuable.

Shipments of fruits and nuts has never raised an eyebrow coming from California for any carrier.

29. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (1,990) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Horse semen collectors advocate :joy:

jakecattleco likes this.
  30. JHDStein

JHDStein Initiate (89) Aug 16, 2013 Germany

Looks to be a fairly clean (and minor) amendment, with no extra hidden stuff (as far as I could tell). Here's a link to the bill:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/3287/text

One thing I did notice from the text is that it seems to be limited to a "Business to Consumer" shipment. No shipment to a commercial recipient allowed. So bars, restaurants, specialty beer stores, etc... won't be able to use this exception.

31. mschrei

mschrei Poo-Bah (3,294) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

I personally have shipped artisanal water many times...

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  32. drh88

drh88 Aspirant (284) Dec 21, 2005 Pennsylvania

Done. Thanks for posting the link.

tolar111 likes this.
  33. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,126) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

34. Providence

Providence Champion (801) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Does anyone have any data or predictions on how this might impact liquor stores and bottle shops? Beer, wine, and liquor can't be sold in grocery stores in RI. Most of the bottle shops I go to are small businesses, with just one location. I've been going to the same ones for years and can't help but wonder how this might impact them. I'm not saying protecting such stores is reason not to support this, just wondering about potential impacts.

35. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,562) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Well, if the beer retailers carry the brand(s) that the consumer wants to purchase they very well may purchase those beers from the beer retailers in order to save the cost of shipping; I can report that is what I would do.

If the consumer wants a certain beer brands which are not sold by their local beer retailers then this product is not available to them in that manner and ordering the beer is a recourse (if they are willing to pay shipping costs).

Cheers!

P.S. If the beers at the beer retailers are too old (too often the situation in my area) then perhaps the consumer will order the beer if they are assured fresh product.

Providence likes this.
  36. Providence

Providence Champion (801) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

That assurance of a fresh product is key. I don't like the idea of buying beer for which I personally do not check the bottling date. One would hope that the brewery is going to send fresh beer every time a consumer buys it direct. But let's be honest, we all know a brewer is going to send some old shit out every once in a while in the hopes no one is paying attention. But again, if there are assurances, that's a game changer.

But to your first point, about the retailer not carrying a beer...I get that. If a bottle shop doesn't carry XYZ Brewery and you want it, then the direct delivery is a win-win. I'm concerned, however, that as our society moves more towards a "deliver everything to my front door" society, that people will just be ordering stuff that is at their local bottle shop directly too. Again, I'm not saying I'm against the direct shipping by any means, just trying to think of other impacts.

37. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,562) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

And I suppose that is a possibility?

I am somewhat fortunate that in my home state of PA they permit direct shipments of beer. I have looked into this a few times (Suarez, Notch, etc.) but when I saw the price for delivery I never purchased those beers; the shipping cost was too high for me. But maybe other beer consumers (who are more wealthy than me?) have no issues paying these costs and enjoy the convenience factor? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cheers!

Providence likes this.
  38. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,079) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I think the cost difference of direct shipping vs retail purchase will eliminate any risk that anyone is purchasing anything for shipping that could be bought locally. There's not just the shipping cost itself but also the pressure to fill out cases in your purchase since the shipping cost tends to be the same regardless of volume purchased.

jakecattleco and Providence like this.
  39. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Crusader (772) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

I only ship craft soda, but 'done.'

40. GetMeAnIPA

Retail stores would get beer through the standard distribution just they way they do it now. This is targeted at smaller volumes of shipments.