Surly 2019 Beer Calendar

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Windvaner, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Windvaner

Windvaner Initiate (62) Nov 7, 2014 Minnesota

A very interesting mix from Surly ,a long goodbye to some that hung in there a bit too long - so no more cans of Overrated ,Rising North Pale Ale ,Surly Bender and Cynic.

Welcome back Surly Fest and new 6-packs along with some brand new beers.

What you all think ?

[​IMG]

maximum12 likes this.
  2. ipeters1017

ipeters1017 Aspirant (275) Dec 15, 2016 Wisconsin

I'm seriously gonna miss canned Rising North--that was my favorite non-specialty beer of theirs. Excited to see Thirteen will be in 4-packs instead of the bottles! Collectors might be upset, but maybe they made the decision to switch over since Twelve didn't work out anyway? Any full collections would appear to have a gap.

Also, do we know "Oktoberfest" is going to be the same as SurlyFest?

3. NickMpls

NickMpls Initiate (83) Feb 13, 2016 Minnesota

One man mosh pit! Loved that one

4. islay

islay Aspirant (294) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Wow, Surly abandoned regular Bender. That was a beautiful beer, arguably the most outstanding beer by the standards of its style* that Surly ever brewed as well as the first. A sad sign of the state of the marketplace and palate of the current craft beer consumer. #BringBackBender #WhatAreYouDoingBringBackBenderYouMonsters

* Does "Oatmeal Brown Ale/Porter" count as a style?

5. Windvaner

I’m just glad we have Coffee Bender , absolutely love that beer but I’m a little puzzled at Rising North been pulled ,it was always selling at the beerhall whenever I was there but I guess with Minnesota United moving to Saint Paul with Allianz Field and having their own beer hall with 80+ taps that opens the field to lots of local breweries.

#5 Windvaner, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  6. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (444) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Insane, Bender is gone!

barrybeerdog likes this.
  7. Grave252

Grave252 Initiate (50) Mar 12, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

Really hope Pentagram makes an appearance, although doesn’t look like it based on the calendar

8. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Aspirant (232) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Drop Xtra-Citra, keep Bender and Cynic, and start canning Cocoa Bender and I'd bet there'd be same-store sales increases, at least locally.

Bring back Bitter Brewer (in cans, not just the occasional kegs) and the true beer nerds will rejoice.

Can Firey Hell and I'll be singing all the praises!

Averwo, ajbanana, herman77 and 2 others like this.
  9. NickMpls

NickMpls Initiate (83) Feb 13, 2016 Minnesota

I read this as their will still be kegs?

[​IMG]

10. BeerDrinkinGuy

BeerDrinkinGuy Initiate (50) Nov 2, 2018 Minnesota

Agreed. I cant stand that beer. Also they do have other new stuff like Staycation pineapple IPA, Layer Up -some hazy something and DAF Brut IPA coming also.

11. user8991037426712693

user8991037426712693 Initiate (81) May 19, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

Was hoping they would release Pancake Party that they brought to Fobab.

12. hopb4fg

hopb4fg Initiate (40) Nov 8, 2016 Hawaii

Overrated should have been "axed" 5 years ago.

13. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,083) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

SurlyFest and Surly Oktoberfest are two different beers. Surly Oktoberfest is the traditional style Oktoberfest they've been pouring at the taproom for the past few years. SurlyFest appears to have gone away.

ECOBOOSTINST and ovaltine like this.
  14. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (132) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

I couldn't agree more. Bender was my favorite Surly offering. So sad to see Surly succumb to the mass movement towards Hazy beer & give up on tradition.

Omar, homework assignment: read a couple chapters from the Schells playbook!
    Chapter One: In 1860 August Schell.....

#14 barrybeerdog, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  15. muck1979

muck1979 Initiate (65) Jul 3, 2005 Minnesota

RIP, #Merica.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  16. HawkEye19

HawkEye19 Initiate (115) Jun 15, 2006 Minnesota

Tradition doesn't pay the mortgage as well as following the trends, sadly.

17. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Aspirant (274) Oct 27, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

Or at least stop putting Xtra-Citra in every variety pack. Besides the price point, it's the main reason I've never bought their variety packs.

18. JMN44

JMN44 Initiate (162) Sep 19, 2013 Minnesota

This is obviously a big shake up of Surly's core brands but I think Surly really needs a shake up like this. Long-time Surly drinkers like myself will miss Bender and Cynic but I wasn't buying them much anymore.

I'm excited to see what Surly will do with the new monthly BC small batch beers. Those beers will need to be pretty limited to ensure they will be sold before the next monthly batch arrives.

Unfortunately as expected Darkness is still in 750 bombers but that will probably always be the case unless sales slip drastically. Darkness is one of my favorite beers but there are many other good RIS in smaller packaging options at lower prices to justify buying more than a couple of Darkness bombers any longer for me.

BigIslandfarmer and KarlHungus like this.
  19. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,153) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Jazzed there will be a small batch release each month. I think this is what most of us have been hoping for...forever.

The only axed beer I'll miss is Overrated. My go-to West Coast IPA when I tire of all the sweet, barely bitter haze bombs.

Interesting that Thirteen will be in 16 oz. packaging. Assuming it's not awash in brett, I'll be more inclined to grab a four-pack than a massively overpriced bomber.

20. SipIt

SipIt Initiate (182) Jul 18, 2013 Minnesota

I mean, you can still find it on the shelves all over the place. Stock up??

smutty33 and pmccallum86 like this.
  21. cl3

cl3 Disciple (336) Aug 16, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Ahhhh Pentagram...

My favorite packaging in the Surly portfolio, but easily my least favorite beer I've had from them. I'm not sad to see it go.

22. ipeters1017

I only ever had the BA version. It was...weird? I think there was just too much going on, but it wasn't bad. I got it as a gift and it didn't make me want to buy it, that's for sure.

23. BillManley

BillManley Aspirant (233) Jul 2, 2008 Minnesota

Not gone, just gone in cans. We'll offer Nitro Bender on Draught all year long out in the trade. I'd expect to see some draught variations of it as well.

pmccallum86 and barrybeerdog like this.
  24. BillManley

Funny you should mention... You'll likely see that again next year under a different name.

25. BillManley

No brett in 13. In fact, no brett beers in package.
    If you like the West Cost style IPA, Sleek will be a new year-round. It's a crisp, bitter, IPA with a big hop flavor and oat-driven malt body. It might scratch that WCIPA itch you're after.

stinsonwbs, SipIt, ppohio and 2 others like this.
  26. barrybeerdog

Yeah, I hear ya, but still a bummer!:angry:

27. Dizmal

Dizmal Initiate (101) Oct 28, 2009 Minnesota

Bender gone.. WTF. One of the best oatmeal browns out there. I drank a lot of it this summer and fall. The others I couldn't really care less about. But Bender??

:shakes fist at sky:

barrybeerdog and islay like this.
  28. barrybeerdog

Not just one of the best oatmeal browns...Thee best oatmeal brown on the market.
    Sorry folks, I just can't get down off my soapbox regarding the now extinct cans of Bender.

BillManley said it's not gone & that it will be on at the brewery & some select locations. I guess I'm just SOL, since I won't be making regular trips from Sodak to Surly, (hmm, that reminds me of "Milan to Minsk....Rochelle Rochelle").

Sure glad GrainBelt/Schells never went the same route by shutting down distro of Premium:wink:

#28 barrybeerdog, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  29. TonyBaloney

TonyBaloney Initiate (148) Sep 18, 2008 Minnesota

Very sad to see Bender no longer canned. I get it though: the canned on dates here are 5-10 months out, so I'm guessing it doesn't sell.

30. Windvaner

The first of the new slate drops in a couple of weeks. Not crazy about Brut IPA’s but seems like everyone is doing them now.

maximum12 likes this.
  31. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (3,419) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota

Surlyfest (think ASPCA commercial) and now Bender to be replaced by... A Brut IPA :slight_frown:?

barrybeerdog and pmccallum86 like this.
  32. hopb4fg

hopb4fg Initiate (40) Nov 8, 2016 Hawaii

Remember the days when Surly wouldn't dare brew fad or trend beers, because they were so above that? How times have changed...

33. KarlHungus

Remember when consumers bought beers that didn't closely resemble wine coolers? It's hard to blame Surly for making such a product to sell to people who don't actually like beer, but like pretending they do.

*I don't mean this comment to sound snarky as I feel we're on the same side here.

JMN44 and islay like this.
  34. ipeters1017

I didn't mind Fair State's, but I tried the one Surly had at their taproom over the summer and it just seemed like lazy champagne. Not exactly looking forward to this one

35. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (444) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

I feel the same way about "milkshake" IPAs and stouts with adjuncts

smutty33, HoppyHawk and KarlHungus like this.
  36. KarlHungus

You need to add fruited kettle sours to your list, and you'll be right with me.

37. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,153) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

I do! And I, for one, am glad Surly is finally changing. Craft beer has always been about experimentation, & I'll be glad to try some new offerings from them.

Although the milkshake IPAs...yeah. Just a poor idea all around.

JakeJohnson likes this.
  38. pandera

pandera Initiate (67) Jul 10, 2011 Minnesota

Hey, brut IPA's are even replacing champagne in some circles in France :relaxed::pensive:

39. SipIt

SipIt Initiate (182) Jul 18, 2013 Minnesota

Found 12/19/18 abrasive yesterday and love the taste of it fresh. Would have it in my fridge all the time if available like this.

40. KiddVideo

KiddVideo Initiate (107) Jun 19, 2015 Minnesota

Local small liquor stores have said Surly will be having a price increase of a dollar per unit on almost all their beers.