Surly 2020 Beer Calendar

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Windvaner, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Windvaner

Windvaner Initiate (64) Nov 7, 2014 Minnesota

Here it is the 2020 plans from Surly !

Grapefruit Supreme. -Releasing it in six-packs and 12-packs this March

Rocket Surgery. Find it in sixers and on draft all year starting in January.

Overrated Returns !!!!
    Welcome the return of Overrated! West Coast IPA in four-packs of 16 oz. cans.

-Monthly Small Batch Releases- Yes

What's gone -GOODBYE !

SLEEK IPA !! ...That was a perfectly fine IPA , oh well...And they finally scrubbed the name TODD off the Axeman !

Observations !
    Long Live Coffee Bender (still the main beer I buy from Surly) and Xtra go away , I hate you !

Somehow HELL is still hanging in there with Xtra and First Avenue ( I suspect all 3 are cheap to make and you can charge a nice premium at entertainment venues for these even thought they are all very ordinary beers .

Surly badly need a Coffee Stout or Porter in their lineup ! Bring back COOPER or SURLY STOUT please even as a seasonal .

[​IMG]

ChicagoJ, pudgym29, maximum12 and 2 others like this.
  2. islay

islay Disciple (333) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

Both of the new beers in the 2020 Thaw Pack, Fall To Pieces Mosaic IPA and Scrillionaire (strong dark lager) sound promising. Surly Stout was great, and I'd love to see it canned, but straightforward stouts seem to be a dying breed.

I'll note that it looks like they've listed Thirteen where I'd expect to see Fourteen. I wonder if that's a mistake or if they're so confident in Thirteen that they're already planning on bringing it back next year.

JMN44 and Windvaner like this.
  3. Rajaholick

Rajaholick Initiate (157) Jan 9, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Isn't 13 a barrel aged maple syrup stout? I'd be surprised if it shows up in 4pack pounders from surly since then been sticking with the 750ml format for darkness and co.

4. islay

islay Disciple (333) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

13 will indeed be in 16 oz. cans., to be sold individually. It's aged in maple barrels, which I assume refers to the wood and not syrup.

gatornation likes this.
  5. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (450) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Hopefully regular Darkness is canned next year because regular stouts in bombers is stupid at this point. Even many BA stouts are in cans now.

JMN44 and Windvaner like this.
  6. eggsurplus

eggsurplus Initiate (92) Nov 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

Strongly disagree so hopefully both are options.

7. Windvaner

[QUOTE="islay, post: 6706356, member: 184611"Surly Stout was great, and I'd love to see it canned, but straightforward stouts seem to be a dying breed.[/QUOTE]

Surly Stout was fantastic I completely agree, and almost as close to a good classic Irish Stout in recent memory that I’ve found here in the US and just for reference in Ireland a half BILLION litres of stouts were sold in Ireland last year and stouts account for 63% of ALL beers production in the country so it’s no dying breed !

I would only hope the US Craft beer market wakes up and does not rely entirely on Hazy IPA’s and ignore the potential of Nitro Session stouts , Coffee stouts ,winter porters that a huge slice of what the population actually really want.

#7 Windvaner, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    pudgym29, JMN44 and eggsurplus like this.
  8. JMN44

JMN44 Initiate (171) Sep 19, 2013 Minnesota

Will 2020 be the year that the price on Axe Man is finally drastically lowered?
    I know many people who have said they would make Axe Man their regular IPA if the price was less.

pmccallum86, Cibsie and NickMpls like this.
  9. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (126) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

I enjoy HELL. Quite refreshing on tap. Nothing wrong with having a lager available year-round.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  10. BillManley

BillManley Aspirant (244) Jul 2, 2008 Minnesota

The barrels are oak ex-bourbon barrels, used to flavor maple syrup. 13 definitely has a pronounced bourbon maple syrup flavor.

Petcha and islay like this.
  11. BillManley

13 will be back in November 2020 (Friday the 13th.) I’m thinking it will be an annual release to coincide with one Friday the 13th per year. We’re on-the-fence about doing 14. We may get it out in 2020 we may not. The beer will tell us.

pmccallum86, JMN44 and islay like this.
  12. BillManley

Since we have Coffee Bender, we likely won’t do another full-time coffee beer. About the Stout. Have you tried Dark Phase Stout? It’s in the current Frost Pack and on tap in the Beer Hall. That is my beer-of-the-moment. Roasty, slightly sweet, and a manageable 5.5%.

JMN44 likes this.
  13. JMN44

JMN44 Initiate (171) Sep 19, 2013 Minnesota

I’d like to try Dark Phase Stout but since it’s only in the Frost variety pack I won’t be trying it unless I find a single somewhere.

14. Windvaner

Surly just made an update to their brand Calendar for rest of this year .

[​IMG]

THE BAD NEWS FIRST: There will be no packaged WET or Rose in 2020. There will be limited Rose draft availability at our Beer Hall and some local establishments this summer, but otherwise they are taking a breather this year.

THE GOOD NEWS:

• Thirteen. Our maple barrel-aged imperial stout w/vanilla returns on (naturally) Friday, November 13th.
    • Fourteen. We’re creating a 14th Anniversary beer. As with 13, it will be boxed and packaged in a 16 oz. can. More on what it is later.
    • Party Starter. Our newest variety pack is hitting stores as you read this. As we slowly begin the process of “being around other people again,” this party in a box breaks the ice. Features Furious, Rocket Surgery, the return of Warp Zone Pilsner, and the introduction of Mango Supreme, a tart ale brewed w/mango.
    • Culture Collab. In the Before Time, our friends at New Belgium came to Minneapolis and helped us create a blended culture American sour ale with blueberries, aged on virgin oak and red wine barrels. It lands this September in 4-packs of 16-oz. cans.
    • Darkness variants. There won’t be a Darkness Day this year, but we’ll still have our yearly Darkness bottle release on Halloween, and we’re introducing canned Darkness variants available in December. Flavors TBA, but they will be in single 16 oz. cans and an ideal stocking stuffer for the craft beer fan if your life.
    • Rocket Surgery 12ers. Our hit hazy ale will be available in the popular 12-pack format beginning in July.
    • Sabrotooth Tiger. If you’re a fan of the Sabro hop, and you should be, our next seasonal will be a 100% Sabro IPA. Coming in July.
    • Neon Dragons. BC Small Batch returns from sheltering at our ancestral Brooklyn Center home with this DDH Hazy DIPA in July.

ChicagoJ, eawolff99 and maximum12 like this.
  15. PolskaKielbasia

PolskaKielbasia Initiate (27) Dec 24, 2018 Minnesota

Just bought their summer mix pack and I am incredibly disappointed. The Mango Supreme was disgusting. The Rocket Surgery IPA was mediocre at best, and nothing is really as good as Furious anyways when it comes to IPAs. The Warp Zone pilsner was undrinkable.

So disappointed in Surly. And to think I used to almost exclusively buy Surly - to see Bender, Overrated, Cynic Ale, 'Merica (for fun) go away is heartbreaking.

Now I only buy Coffee Bender and Furious - but way less Furious than before, since there are so many IPAs. All their small batch beers are like $18 for a four pack, and are hit or miss. I really have no clue what they are going for long-term.

HoppyHawk likes this.
  16. iamcool

iamcool Initiate (94) Apr 11, 2009 Minnesota

I liked it better than last year's pack. I prefer Rocket Surgery to Xtra and like mango over grapefruit. I like Warp Zone during these hot humid Minnesota summer days we are going to have in the next few weeks and would buy it if they sold it individually.

PolskaKielbasia likes this.
  17. PolskaKielbasia

I agree on Rocket Surgery being an upgrade from Xtra - no idea how Xtra has lasted all these years (probably its low ABV). In fact, that substitution alone is what caught my eye and encourage me to try the pack. But the pilsner is just so bad compared to all the other Minnesota options (Fair State, Bauhaus, Utepils, etc.)

Makes me miss the days when Trader Joe's right by my house sold all of Surly's products and allowed you to buy individuals cans for exactly 25% of the 4-pack price. I always made a 4-pack of Overrated, Furious, Bender, and Coffee Bender. What glorious days those were...

#17 PolskaKielbasia, Jun 30, 2020 at 6:44 PM
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 6:51 PM
    TrailsandAles and iamcool like this.
  18. iamcool

iamcool Initiate (94) Apr 11, 2009 Minnesota

Summit Keller Pils has been constantly in my fridge the over the past several months. Like those others too.

19. BillManley

I know it's fashionable on BA these days, to trash Xtra, but it remains one of our most popular and best selling beers. After Furious and the Variety Packs, Xtra leads the pack. It may not be your cup of tea, but there are plenty of people who still really like that beer.

20. Windvaner

I also bought the new Party Pack and was not hugely impressed by Mango Supreme or Rocket Surgery . I will say the variety pack they put out before it was better and had one stand out beer - Yummi Bear west coast IPA was fantastic and one of the best I’ve had from Surly in a long time .

I’m hopeful for the mixed messages pack in fall that Surly can tap into some of the excellent beers they’ve made that have disappeared and are rarely brewed these days.

**Bender, Furious Black, Stout, Schadenfreude ,Cooper, Side Eye ,Witch’s Tower all come to mind as great beers that all worked for me but seem to be forgotten.

21. BeerDrinkinGuy

BeerDrinkinGuy Initiate (55) Nov 2, 2018 Minnesota

You should try Fair States Crankin Foamers, I will say it gives Keller Pils a run for its money.

22. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,827) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Really? That beer is an AAL. Summit Keller Pils is all malt. Fair State used to brew a keller pilsner (Keller Kazbek) but they never packaged it for retail distribution AFAIK.

(Although with the new beer style names, AAL becomes L-A? Doesn't have the same ring to it...)

23. HawkEye19

HawkEye19 Initiate (125) Jun 15, 2006 Minnesota

Fair State canned the delicious Keller Kazbek for one, glorious summer.

JMN44 and HoppyHawk like this.
  24. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,827) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Dang. I missed it!

25. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,316) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

Technically twice. In Aug 2017 it was a mixed 4 pack with 2 Kellar Kazbek and 2 Festbier. In Aug 2018, it was a 4 pack of Keller Kazbek only (Festbier was taproom). In Aug 2019, it was a 4 pack of Festbier only (Keller Kazbek was taproom).

They also did bring the Vienna Lager back for a canning run in February, so I am hopeful for Keller Kazbek as well. Those are among the absolute best lagers in MN and it is a shame to make them taproom only.

PolskaKielbasia and jera1350 like this.
  26. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,316) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

Crankin Foamers is BY FAR the best AAL I have ever had, but I don't see a comparison to a Keller Pilsner other than both pale lagers.

muck1979 likes this.
  27. muck1979

muck1979 Initiate (68) Jul 3, 2005 Minnesota

I also appreciate the new 12-pack can format.

28. PolskaKielbasia

The Fair State lager was absolutely phenomenal... was sad to see it gone when I recently when to the liquor store.