Surly Brewing night at Brouwers!?!?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Mages64, Nov 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mages64

Mages64 Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2009 Washington

waltersrj likes this.
  2. GiveMeNoBeer

GiveMeNoBeer Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Washington

Awesome! ALso digging some of that Bigwood list. Vanilla B-Bomb?! I'll take 6

barleywinefiend and fsck like this.
  3. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (146) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

well, looks like my saturday plans are set. been looking to try darknes and abrasive for awhile.

stoked for bigwood, but i'm out of town until Friday night. any chance berserker sticks around until the weekend?

4. GiveMeNoBeer

GiveMeNoBeer Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Washington

I would say probably a decent chance. No guarantee, but would be worth looking saturday

5. Aleforme

Aleforme Aspirant (202) Nov 26, 2008 Washington

Can't make it but would someone please kidnap Todd from Surly and hold him ransom until they agree to distribute to Washington?

Of course, I'm kidding.............................. just distribution to Seattle would be fine. :stuck_out_tongue:

sanford_and_son likes this.
  6. CardsWinAgain

CardsWinAgain Initiate (170) Jul 24, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

where's the big wood lineup?!

7. honkduh

honkduh Aspirant (237) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

On the page linked in the first post

Bigwood
    Alaskan Rough Trade Barrel Aged Smoked Porter
    Allagash Curieux #1409
    Alameda Barrel Aged RIS Nitro
    Almanac Barrel Noir
    American Stupid Sexy Flander
    Anacortes Dubbel Bourbon Critters
    Avery Samael’s Oak Aged
    Ballast Point Victory at Sea Rum Barrel Aged
    Ballast Point Barrel Aged Sea Monster
    Big Al Jupiter’s Blood Sour
    Big Sky Four Roses Barrel aged Old Bluehair.
    Big Time Sour Trombipulator Belgian Tripple
    Black Raven Cognac Barrel Aged Birdbrain Barleywine
    Black Raven Gunsmoke Porter Nitro
    Bokor Cuvee Des Jocobins
    Boneyard Barrel Aged Suge Knight
    Boulevard Rye on Rye
    Boulder Mortimer
    Breakside Rye Barrel Aged Fresh Hop IPA
    Cascade Barrel Aged Karma Citra Cide
    Cascade Sang Noir
    Cascade Vlad the Imp Aler
    Deschutes Black Butte XXIV.
    Dogfish Head Burton Baton
    Double Mountain Experiment 16 IRA
    Elysian Dry Fly Aged Split Shot
    Epic Big Bad Baptist
    Finn River High West Rye Barrel Aged Cider
    Firestone Hat Trick Sour
    Flyers Barrel Aged Brouwers 8
    Fort George Roses on Roses
    Fremont Vanilla B Bomb
    Fremont Old Bridgerider Barleywine
    Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti ’12
    Logsdon Cerusus
    Lost Abbey Deliverance ’12
    Lost Abbey Angel's Share '13
    Mad Viking Cognac Imperial Stout
    Midnight Sun Berserker ‘13
    Midnight Sun/Black Raven BEAK
    New Belgium La Folie ’13
    North Sound Sucellus BBL Porter
    Pike Entite ’13
    Schooner Exact Imperial Bourbon Barrel Aged Porter
    Snipes Mountain Terror ’13
    Sound Brewing G’Indescretion (Gin Barrel Aged)
    Speakeasy Syndicate #1
    Stone Vertical Epic 09.09.09 aged in Red Wine Barrels
    Stone Vertical Epic 10.10.10 aged in Bourbon Barrels
    Surly Misanthrope
    Surly Pentagram
    The Bruery Bottleworks XII ’13

flexabull likes this.
  8. CardsWinAgain

Trader

good grief.. I'm going to be hammered. Theres about 15 beers on that list that I can't live without.

9. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2007 Washington
    Deactivated

I would dare say this is the BEST Big Wood line-up in years...damn..I need to move North, AGAIN

waltersrj likes this.
  10. sanford_and_son

sanford_and_son Aspirant (250) Jul 23, 2012 Washington

Oh man, I LOVE me some Surly. My wife is from MN and my father-in-law sent me a 2013 Darkness recently and it honestly lived up to the hype. Fucking fantastic beer. Also, Coffee Bender is my favorite low ABV coffee beer by a long shot. SO GOOD. Def going to this.

11. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,928) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Just out of curiosity, how do distribution laws come into play when a brewery that's not distributed in a state brings its beer to that state to sell? This isn't exactly an under-the-radar event; do special arrangements need to be made? Backs scratched? Palms greased? Tails wagged?

I don't want to be a wet blanket here, just wondering how they get around the byzantine labyrinth of laws and regulations that determine what beer can and can't be sold in a given market.

12. CardsWinAgain

Trader

I often wondered this myself.. Fuckin Brouwers.. not complaining about the kegs of fresh hop Alpine IPAs -- just curious.

13. dayglo

dayglo Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2009 Washington

I'm not sure if this is the full answer, but it looks like they have a license to accept direct shipments of wine/beer from out of state.

http://lcb.wa.gov/taxreporting/licensee-list

14. CardsWinAgain

Trader

Good Call. Surly is a COA holder apparently. So in the event they wanted to sell Surly beer in WA they can..

libbey likes this.
  15. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,115) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Elysian had their Overrated IPA on tap during SBW 13, so there is a way...

16. archi348

archi348 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2012 Minnesota

As a Minnesota BA who is slated to be in Seattle on 12/5 I'm excited for this!

17. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,928) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Here's a thought. Try some Washington beers you can't get in Minnesota while you're out here. You can get Surly whenever you want. Just sayin'.

18. beefandbean22

beefandbean22 Aspirant (281) Oct 15, 2008 Oregon
    Trader

Or just bring us all some surly cans!!!!

19. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,261) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Wha-? Alpine from San Diego County? That's impressive. I couldn't even get Alpine in Los Angeles, except very rarely.

20. archi348

archi348 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2012 Minnesota

Oh don't worry, I won't be coming all the way to Seattle to drink Surly that I can get at home. I have my eye on some of those delicious Cascade Sours, Fremont B-Bomb Vanilla, Bridgerider, etc. Just seeing the name Surly in the NW thread got me to read it where I discovered the event listing...might not have made the trip from Bellevue to Brouwers otherwise simply for lack of awareness.

I may be able to make some room in a suitcase for some MN goodness....

21. distantmantra

Trader

The Force is strong with the Matt.

fsck, m4ttj0nes, libbey and 1 other person like this.
  22. PetitChouffe

PetitChouffe Initiate (101) Sep 28, 2009 Washington

Aw, that Surly night sounds cool, I'd like to try some of their beers (had a bottle of darkness in 2010, and it was a sweet sweet thing, but not bad!). I'm already committed to the evening session of the WA winter beer fest, though! C'est la vie.

23. adkieffer

adkieffer Aspirant (291) Nov 23, 2010 Washington

Too many beer events too far away from each other...already booked a place in Tillamook for the weekend. Hopefully can make it in for a couple at Bigwood...BA Suge Night

24. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,797) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm facing the same problem. I'd love to go to Bigwood again, but that's also the weekend of the Holiday Ale Fest down in PDX. I just don't think I can realistically make it to both events.

As for Surly, fortunately I'm in the twin cities for the holidays and have had more than my fair share of furious, abrasive and darkness already. The current Abrasive is a hophead's wet dream!

25. Eighty

Eighty Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2013 Washington

Brouwer's posted that there will be 57 beers on draft for Bigwood. The list they posted only has 53. Any speculation (or inside info) on what the other 4 are?

26. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Hmmmm..... bud, miller, coors and PBR?

27. Eighty

Eighty Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2013 Washington

28. Prufrockstar

Prufrockstar Initiate (84) Jan 15, 2013 Washington
    Trader

29. honkduh

honkduh Aspirant (237) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

Dogfish Head Burton Baton (10%) Milton ............................................................... $9.00

Seems like a good deal.

30. distantmantra

Trader

Since no one posted the list of Surly beers, I figured I'd do it to save anyone interested time finding them:

Misanthrope
    Pentagram
    Darkness
    Smoke
    Abrasive
    Coffee Bender
    Furious

I've had Furious a bunch thanks to it being at MSP Airport, but interested in Misanthrope, Pentagram, Abrasive and Coffee Bender.

31. Lansman

Lansman Aspirant (261) Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Trader

Pentagram is absolutely delicious. Stocked up on that one when it was released. Phenomenal stuff.

32. sanford_and_son

sanford_and_son Aspirant (250) Jul 23, 2012 Washington

Coffee Bender is straight up one of my favorite beers ever. Always buy a ton of it when I'm in MN. Such a smooth drinking and delicious coffee beer. Kind of a mix between a brown ale and a porter with tons of coffee.

Abrasive is a pretty decent imperial IPA, but I honestly prefer Furious to it. More balanced.

Don't miss out on Smoke, either. I opened a bottle from 2012 just the other day and it was just fantastic. A very unique smoked lager. Tons of flavor.

33. distantmantra

Trader

I hate smoke beers, so it's a definite pass.

I've had regular Bender at MSP before, but I've heard nothing but good things about Coffee Bender.

34. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Zealot (516) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

I hate smoked beers too but LOVED Surly Smoke. I don't recall getting a ton of smoked malt flavor. Just a super tasty Baltic porter IMO.

35. BuckeyeOne

I get to MN regularly and have definitely had my share of Furious and Abrasive. I think Furious has fallen off over the years with the change in hops, etc.

And IMHO Abrasive is much more than a 'pretty decent imperial IPA.' A couple of friends and I did a blind DIPA tasting a couple of years ago that included among a few others fresh Abrasive, Hopslam, and Pliny and the Abrasive was the clear winner from all tasters.

36. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Coffee bender was actually available at the OBF several years ago, which is where I got to try it. I confess I honestly do not understand the appeal, as I thought it completely sucked. To me at least, it tasted like a thin brown ale with a lot of cheap coffee added. I liked regular bender a lot more than coffee bender.

Maybe it's just me, as I confess I wasn't all that impressed with the cacao bender either that I tried over the holidays. It was better than the coffee bender by a wide margin, but still... I just thought it tasted like a chocolate flavored thin brown ale.

That being said, of course you should try it. Maybe you'll like it, as apparently plenty of others do. Good luck!

37. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Couldn't agree more on both counts. I've been a big fan of furious over the years, but I tried it at several locations over the holidays, including on cask at the Republic. While OK, I just wasn't wild about it. I had it side by side with the Steel Toe Size 7 at Republic, and much to my shock, I preferred the Size 7 by a wide margin.

I also had Abrasive at the tap room and a couple other places around town, and I've had it out of the can as well. I'd probably pick hopslam and pliny over it, but IMHO, there's no doubt that Abrasive is in the same class with those beers. My palate just happens to prefer hopslam and pliny, but tasting fresh Abrasive is always a treat (unfortuantely, I could only get one 4 pack into my suitcase!).

38. distantmantra

Trader

I kinda felt the same way about Surly Wet. I thought it was a very poor fresh hop. But then again, we are spoiled with incredible WA fresh hops.

39. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I didn't get to try it this year, but everyone I spoke to in the twin cities over the holidays told me it was a pretty weak effort this year. I don't think I met one person who had anything good to say about it this year.

I think Darkness is often hit or miss a lot of the time as well. I thought the current version was excellent, but a lot of people told me they didn't care for the 2012 version, that it was just a sweet hot mess. I actually got to try the 2012 on tap at a black friday event, and I had to agree that it was not one of Surly's beter efforts. It wasn't something I wanted to admit, as I still have several bottles I'm sitting on. Hopefully there'll be another PDX bottle share soon where I can unload them. :-)

40. BuckeyeOne

This year's Surly Wet was a total mess. Tasted awful, nothing like I've had the past three years. Similar to Chasin' Freshies but not even that good --- and I hated Chasin' Freshies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.