Surly Darkness Day 2013

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by bfirkin45, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattyG85

MattyG85 Aug 31, 2010 Minnesota

Anyone try Dumpster Fire yet?
  2. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

Went to the share last night...holy shit it's basically a grass roots beer festival at this point, but better. Got to try several of my wants: Fou Foune, Double Sunshine, Mexican Cake, BA Framinghammer, Lou Pepe Kriek. Had a great time sharing our growler of Hammerheart plus other goodies with guys who hadn't had them. Super fun!
  3. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

That's like a homebrewing Oscar right there man.
    williamjbauer and theCoder like this.
  4. MNPikey

MNPikey Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Just left. Grabbed a Darkness glass inside for a friend and didn't realize it was the same as last years. Did they have newer ones for sale outside with the updated "Darkness" font?
  5. hamham

hamham Oct 26, 2011 Minnesota

is there a line yet for the 3:30 release? any suggestions on where to park? heading over pretty soon.
  6. Pitmonkey

Pitmonkey Oct 2, 2007 Minnesota

It was a guy from Brooklyn Center who was having a lot of fun.
    igor likes this.
  7. josephwa

josephwa Jun 4, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Yes the new glasses were outside, the glasses always have the font from the year prior though.
  8. mnphish

mnphish Aug 19, 2012 Minnesota

Nice meeting some BA's last night. The community is very generous.
  9. CLevar

CLevar Aug 10, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Lot of cool folks stopped by for beer last night, thanks! I'm sorry I won't remember you all next year, but I'm already excited!
    mnbuffalo and Dontcounttoday like this.
  10. striker2160

striker2160 May 5, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Are there any bottles left?
  11. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Jun 24, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

No sales for anyone who didn't have a wrist band. A lot of oeople will be liquor store hunting
  12. shawnp

shawnp Jan 15, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Is this confirmed?
  13. EJJ1848

Beer Trader

Yes they announced over the band stage they are out. I lined up at 315 and moved about 6 feet in line to find out it was gone
  14. shawnp

shawnp Jan 15, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Bummer for those waiting for open sales.
  15. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Feb 23, 2013 Minnesota

Got there at 9:45 and they had 17 bands left. Lucky. The 3:30 line was f-ing huge.
  16. EJJ1848

Beer Trader

Rather frustrating Last year I got in line at 430 and was able to get 4. No idea what happened this year.
  17. mnbuffalo

mnbuffalo Jul 26, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

It was a pleasant surprise, the pepper up front was just right.
    theCoder likes this.
  18. PieOhMy

Interesting for s
    Interesting, for sure but I generally find chilli beer to be disagreeable and this was no different. The cask beer ran out fast compared to previous years. I didn't get any Applewood Cynic. That was a bummer. Had plenty of Darkness and Cacao Bender to ease my pain.
    jegross2 likes this.
  19. Powderhornphil

Powderhornphil Apr 30, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

A lot of people without Darkness wristbands still got bottles. My buddy got in line at 3:30 and got 4.
  20. shadetree67

shadetree67 Sep 11, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I was in line at 325 and struck out. Was production considerably lower this year?
  21. EJJ1848

Beer Trader

My assumption is they over distribute now. I would assume that signing with a distributor, X amount of bottles are allocated for stores. Even if the smallest stores get 2-3 cases it takes away from sales available at the brewery.

Just an idea. If anyone knows anything else it would be great to know
  22. lurpy1

lurpy1 Jan 15, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

This was my first DD and I fell in with a friend and his large group. I brought some good beer, but people in the group went above and beyond their generosity. This AM, some of them reported having rare beer (kopi, vss, rare) swiped during the night. Their willingness to share makes the theft doubly disappointing. Thieves, if you're reading this (and I hope you're not), go f*ck your selfish selves.
  23. Jetfire

Jetfire May 29, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Just got home after watching Impaler 28+ hours of fun. My mom loved it and is already talking about next years, ha! Thanks for stopping by my campsite and sharing beers, much appreciated.
  24. MattyG85

MattyG85 Aug 31, 2010 Minnesota

Just got back. Another well run event. Darkness was as good as ever and I liked the Dumpster Fire. Liked all the bands although those guys in Exhumed really rip it up.
    PieOhMy likes this.
  25. psychotia

psychotia Jun 27, 2009 Minnesota

guessing your buddy got in front of the line if your timing is accurate. I was in line at 230 and struck out.
  26. psychotia

psychotia Jun 27, 2009 Minnesota

What ^ he said. Darkness was tasting sooooo good!
  27. mnbuffalo

mnbuffalo Jul 26, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Your beer was great. Nice to meet another Duluth/Ely guy. The sausage and habanero jelly was a nice touch too.
  28. PieOhMy

Yeah, I don't think people will be ripping on the '13 Darkness the way they were on '13 Wet. Very good this year. To me, more sweet and less boozy than last year.
    MattyG85 and Penguin3200 like this.
  29. MNPikey

MNPikey Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Funny, I think its a little less sweet than last year and has more smoke or a burnt coffee taste to it? Excellent regardless.

Also, I feel like sh!t and am never drinking again.
  30. JAGI410

JAGI410 Nov 20, 2010 Minnesota

Every 6 pack of Darkness bottles also came with bonus rot gut and death farts.
    elshaggy, MattyG85, Drucifer and 2 others like this.
  31. PieOhMy

You are right, it does have some more smoke or roast to it. I thought the '12 was a little too hot and this year's was/is just right.
  32. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Jun 25, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

What a fuckin rad event. Nice to meet some of the folks here last night and share some great brews! Lookin forward to next year already.
  33. joh02034

joh02034 Jan 5, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Very impressed with the generosity of so many people at the event today. As I was sitting in line early this morning, a random guy poured me a sample of 2012 Dark Lord even though I had nothing to reciprocate with.
  34. hamham

hamham Oct 26, 2011 Minnesota

yep. it'd be the only way that would've worked.
  35. kdilks

kdilks Apr 1, 2012 Minnesota

I think they just allocate 6 bottles per wristband to Darkness Day sales, and only sell whatever is leftover at 3:30. So availability would depend on how many people with wristbands get less than 6 bottles, not how much total production there was.
  36. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

hopefully they gave you some insulin do go your diabetes lord.
    jegross2, Cyclone8 and theCoder like this.
  37. Yulles

Yulles Apr 12, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Heady and crooked stave are always welcome. But never bring an Alpar.
    Penguin3200 and maximum12 like this.
  38. ryanfolty

ryanfolty Jul 17, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I am sure you had the best intentions and possibly this was your first DD, but this post was a major fail. There were still wrist bands available at 9:45 and if you would have been to the event before you would have known there would still have been plenty left at 7:30 when you posted. I just hope there weren't people that decided not to come as a result of your post.
    hardy008 likes this.
  39. stbroome

stbroome Nov 19, 2007 Minnesota

40. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Apr 23, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Ahh yeah I don't have any idea how to guess a line count of that size. I was going off hearing that it hit 1k people about midnight and that he line was a lot longer around 5 or 6am. Not my first dd, but it definitely seemed much more crowded more quickly than the last couple years.

No ill intent. I just thought I'd like to know, if I had planned on waiting till later and the line might be getting close to max
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!