Surly Darkness Day 2013

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by bfirkin45, Oct 2, 2013.

1. ryanfolty

ryanfolty Jul 17, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

No biggie, we met at the BA Abraxas release and you seemed like a cool guy. I was just giving you a hard time :)

This year was odd in that a ton of people showed up very early and then there was a gap after midnight with not many showing up until the morning. Regardless, it was another great year with awesome people and amazing beers shared.

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Apr 16, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

This cannot be more accurate. The car ride back was brutal. Also, Cacao Bender was phenomenal.

jegross2 likes this.
  3. themind

themind Mar 14, 2011 New Jersey

They had an open sale of left overs, your buddy got lucky, very cool.

4. mypenguin

mypenguin Jul 21, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

BM your email address. I have a good selfie picture of your Mom and me hanging out. She is an awesome lady. We chatted for quite a while when she was manning the grill.

Jetfire likes this.
  5. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 May 6, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

another great Darkness Day in the books. Thank you to all who came by the truck and shared beers, your welcome to all that came by the truck and just drank our beer. It was a great time with great friends and a great time meeting new people. The blind bottle BIF was a success with 75 bottles passing through. Cheers to Surly for putting on another massively successful event.

6. NIN1988

NIN1988 Oct 9, 2013 South Dakota
    Beer Trader

First time for me, and I will be back every year. Everyone is so nice and friendly and it was just an all around great atmosphere. Cheers to all of you and Surly for making a memorable expierence!

7. ryanfolty

Beer Trader

Were you the guy that stopped by our table at about 2 PM and shared the '09 Bourbon County? If so, cheers man that was awesome and look forward to seeing you in the years to come.

NIN1988 likes this.
  8. Ragnarok88

Ragnarok88 May 30, 2013 Minnesota

I'm sure most of you guys were closer to the front of the line, but I was pretty pissed as a volunteer by the amount of people flicking me off and shouting obscenities at me when I was trying get into the volunteer parking lot. Aside from that it was a great event. First time I've had Cacao Bender, and that beer is unbelievably tasty. Really liked Dumpster Fire as well.

9. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Jun 25, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Damn Wisconsinites :p

pmccallum86 likes this.
  10. NIN1988

Beer Trader

I was that guy haha. Apparently you guys got picked up yesterday.

11. ryanfolty

Beer Trader

Yeah, we packed up and headed out at about 3:45.

12. Buebie

Buebie Jan 11, 2007 Minnesota

Dumpster fire was super tasty!

biglobo8971 likes this.
  13. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Nov 12, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Thanks for stopping by and sharing beers multiple times on both days. Still trying to recover, took a nice 16 hour nap last night....

NIN1988 likes this.
  14. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 May 6, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    cheers to all who helped make an amazing Darkness Day

15. Revenant

Revenant Aug 8, 2012 Minnesota

Tons more people this year. Lot's of people without wristbands got shut out. Dumpster Fire had a real kick to it. Cacao Bender was ok, but for me the highlight was Darkness, Damien, Tea Bagged Overrated and especially El Hefe Nego. That Asian Invasion truck was delicious. I had 2 people come up to me saying I looked like Robert Deniro from Taxi Drive, which I thought was strange. What a fun day. Exhumed kicked some serious ass as well as Todd's band.

16. NIN1988

Beer Trader

17. grynder33

grynder33 Jul 31, 2003 Wisconsin

Every year we get there earlier and end up farther back. As always,a great crowd, thousands of bottles of high end powerful beers consumed, and no shootings ,riots or mayhem. Only the true craft beer crowd can pull this off. This festival works so well because of a quality front line of volunteers,who keep it together all day and all night. Loved the 11am start. They could start at 9 as far as I'm concerned. First class event that many other breweries could learn from

human24 likes this.
  18. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

you missed the crazed person stealing a car with people sleeping in the backseat crashing it into a fence and 4 cop cars trying to find the dude. no dumpster fires though thankfully.

Buebie likes this.
  19. Buebie

Buebie Jan 11, 2007 Minnesota

Did anyone light any dumpsters on fire this year? I saw a beyond drunk guy drop a bomber on the street around 2pm and one of the volunteers walk over and say, you broke another one, then asked if he was ok and the guys around him said oh no he is not ok. Thought he was going to do a header when he bent down to pick up the glass.

20. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Mar 22, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Man what a great time! Met some great folks while in line, got to try some fantastic beers, and went home with a trunk full of Darkness.

While in line before it condensed, Omar dropped off a fresh keg of cocoa bender literally at my feet. He didn't bring the tapper for it so went back to get that. By the time someone came back the line had condensed to the point where no one would have been by the keg so the guys around us picked up the keg and brought it with us! So much fun. What a great event.

21. jamal32

jamal32 Jul 31, 2008 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I can only imagine that was the same guy who got into my truck and tried to find the keys to leave. He was a complete mess.

22. grynder33

grynder33 Jul 31, 2003 Wisconsin

Talked to the guy this happened to. Pretty sure the couple who did this weren't there to buy Darkness

23. shadetree67

shadetree67 Sep 11, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

When I was leaving at 4pm I overheard some of the volunteers talking about a guy who was going to jump off the bridge if he was left alone - does anyone know what that was all about?

24. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Nov 12, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

That dude got blood all over our table, dude is a mess every year. I just know him as the BLS dude.

pandera likes this.
  25. Brewzma

Brewzma Jun 2, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I just have to say wow. What a well-run event by Surly and what an awesome time in line waiting sharing beers and meeting some great people. One of the best beer events I've ever been to. Can't wait for next year to do it bigger and better.

And hopefully someone will bring the Schmitt's Gay next year to tick off (you know who you are)

deebo likes this.
  26. jarrgal

jarrgal Mar 12, 2012 North Dakota
    Beer Trader

This was my first Darkness Day, and it was more than I had anticipated. Met some great people in our group (one spot behind Biglobo's truck) and had an awesome experience. Want to thank all the great Chicagoans and Ohioans for their hospitality and generosity. It made for a great event and something I look forward to doing in the future.

The highlight for me included this guy who wandered into the back of the SurlyFest parking lot, grabbed my co-parter in the front of our truck at 4 a.m., and told him, "the zombies are going to kill you." Then, he went to the car in the spot next to us only to find it was locked. Moving on, he got in the front of a Prius that had its keys in the ignition, started driving the car into the fence of the neighboring business, and had two guys who had waken up to a real-life nightmare screaming at him from the back of the Prius. Luckily, the individual I came down to Darkness with and the guy who was in the locked vehicle observing the situation were able to pull this inebriated individual out of the vehicle after pulling the keys from the ignition. Police showed up after he had already walked back onto the street and blended in with everyone else. Needless to say, Surly should name a beer for next year's Darkness Day along the lines of Blacked Out, Stolen Prius, or Zombie Preacher.

27. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

How about some Surly Fabulous?

Brewzma and shadetree67 like this.
  28. DooshBagalow

DooshBagalow Dec 1, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

LOL

pandera likes this.
  29. hopdragon

hopdragon Jan 6, 2007 Minnesota

Just told Todd "Zombie Prius"

30. morimech

morimech Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota

I like Zombie Preacher. Fits with the theme.

hopdragon likes this.
  31. dasmusik

dasmusik Oct 25, 2011 Minnesota

That was me and my buddy in the Prius. Woke up and there was some guy driving his car. Wut? The Prius is a push button start, the keys were in the back with us and as long as they are within 20 - 30 feet of the vehicle, the car will start. Luckily no damage, and the guy got out without trying to drive off.

I'm not so sure the guy was drunk. When I was talking to him in the car trying to figure out what was going on he had this thousand yard stare, and was dead serious about the Apocalypse and having to "get out of there" or we were going to die. Could've been sleepwalking/dreaming/intoxicated, could've been on something, could've been a psychotic/manic episode, but he definitely wasn't right in the head. There are all those apartments just down the embankment from the parking lot, so he very well could've just wandered over from there.

I was able to get out of the car and open the passenger door and others helped get this guy out. When he got out and walked away he didn't really stumble or seemed uncoordinated, so who knows. The Surly nightwatch and the responding officers were great, responded right away, took statements and gave us their card and tore off looking for him. They didn't hassle us for sleeping in cars or anything, and took it pretty serious.

Makes for one hell of a story. And lesson - LOCK YOUR CARS

JakeT469, jegross2, NIN1988 and 5 others like this.
  32. Drucifer

Drucifer Apr 16, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Dude is looking to escape the Apocalypse and chose a Prius as his escape vehicle? He was definitely drunk...

BeerGoogler, jegross2, iadler and 8 others like this.
  33. Brewzma

Brewzma Jun 2, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Then they could use that amazing unicorn design they were supposedly going to use for overrated. I still think it's cooler looking than what they went with.

34. NIN1988

Beer Trader

I was sitting here laughing my ass off reading both of these posts. I don't know what the hell I would do in that situation, maybe just tell the guy to cool his jets and that Rick and Daryl were on the way to take care of the walkers.

therobot and Dontcounttoday like this.
  35. theCoder

theCoder Oct 24, 2011 Minnesota
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Wow damn, I missed out having to work the next morning and unable to campout it sounds like...

I probably should throw public props out to the dude who cracked open a 1948 (brewed in 1934) bottle of Ballentine's Burton Ale and shared it with some of us hanging out by him. Darkness Day iz da shiz. Hoping to not be in the middle of a Beta Development Crunch during DD next year.

36. MNPikey

MNPikey Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Zombie Preachers sounds like the perfect theme for next year's Darkness bottle artwork.

37. mnbuffalo

mnbuffalo Jul 26, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I'm going with side affects of mixing Ambien and a .20 b.a

38. stealth

stealth Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

The moment I can't stop laughing about is when some friends and I were walking back to our table and they stopped at one to warm their hands over a fire. I impatiently stood there for a minute then noticed 'hey man they had Cacaonut too!', only to have Ryan (copslovebeer) remark 'Dude, this is your table'. Nice.

Charlotte09 and copslovebeer like this.
  39. dougofthefuture

dougofthefuture Oct 15, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

This is the strangest part of the story. Two dudes sleeping in the back of a Prius??

BrettHead, iadler, beerhan and 7 others like this.
  40. mjryan

mjryan Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

Think about, great gas mileage in those things, perfect for the apocolypse.

human24 likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe