Surly Darkness Day 2013

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by bfirkin45, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Zealot (572) Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota

I would suggest you drink your growlers while they're fresh, and bring something that you know will be good.

I brought a 2 week old growler up fishing last weekend - we drain poured it, and I apologized to my buddies.
    Good thing I had some serious guns along to make up for it.

mnbuffalo likes this.
  2. theCoder

theCoder Aspirant (233) Oct 24, 2011 Minnesota

That is seriously one of my favorite beers on the planet. So damn good, especially the nitro one (obviously one can't get growlers of that). I was going to go up north Friday, my uncle does a haunted house up there for Special Olympics (Haunted Shack) and I was going to go work it for awhile and check it out, and obviously get beer. But so much crap goin on. If you still have that growler next week we should meet up :slight_smile: I will probably refill the brauler with something from Barley Johns, I can't wait until Canal Park (where I got it) gets the CO2 kits to keep it carbonated longer. Already holds it for quite a long time. OK enough off topic, Darkness Day, beer, bands, food and beer.

3. BigBadBeerSnob

BigBadBeerSnob Initiate (196) Jul 31, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I can bring some more Gandy Dancer to share!

4. theCoder

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I have to admit that Smoked Wheat surprised me. I can't believe that thing is so light on the ABV. I wish I had more time when I was there, I couldn't believe their tap list and bottle selection. I haven't tried the Imperial Stout yet, tomorrow :slight_smile:

BigBadBeerSnob likes this.
  5. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,859) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

:rolling_eyes:

6. lonewolfcry

Not a good idea??

7. josephwa

josephwa Zealot (500) Jun 4, 2012 Minnesota
    Trader

Depends what the style is and if the growlers were reverse pressurized.

8. lonewolfcry

Makes sense to me.

Sounded like some of the earlier posters were in doubt if they would still be fresh.
    I know of people - myself included - who sat on them for even just two weeks, and ended up in the drain.
    All I was saying basically is if in doubt, drink fresh.

theCoder and mnbuffalo like this.
  9. mnbuffalo

mnbuffalo Initiate (169) Jul 26, 2012 Michigan

I got burned last summer on a Tree House growler. Waited a week too long so I could share it. What a waste looking at flat Julius in a glass.

10. mypenguin

mypenguin Initiate (108) Jul 21, 2009 Minnesota
    Trader

I drove down and picked up 2 growlers at TG (one Pseudo Sue and one Golden Nugget) last night to bring next Friday. They were all out of bottles. I'm hoping that a week old they will still be ok for people to drink and not end up dumped in the grass by Lobo's truck.

tjshippen, biglobo8971 and mnbuffalo like this.
  11. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Zealot (582) Jun 25, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

No worries, I am planning on heading there Friday afternoon to grab a couple fresh ones. In fact, if anyone wants a growler filled fresh, just let me know. We can meet up before Friday and you can give me cash (just the cost of the fill) and I'll get it to ya for DDay.

tjshippen and mnbuffalo like this.
  12. mnbuffalo

Dammit that would be a waste. I'd drink it this wknd if I were you.

13. mnbuffalo

I had someone get me a Mango Mama ticket, so I can cover that and the Cold Press if it's available in growlers. I'm leaning towards buying the smaller steel growler for shipping purposes down the road. I'm getting excited this will be my first DD, due to a variety of circumstances that have arisen in the past.

14. nogophers

nogophers Aspirant (210) Jun 28, 2011 Minnesota

BPBC's stainless steel growlers are 64 ounces. They just look smaller.

mnbuffalo likes this.
  15. maximum12

Trader

I wouldn't worry about ten days or so. I've shipped growlers across the country from Casanova's that have been consumed in that time frame & been told they were perfect, & they obviously took a lot more abuse. People get really wanky about growlers: it's all about the pour. Bad pour, short shelf life, good pour, they can last a month. But as always, the sooner the better.

copslovebeer likes this.
  16. Drucifer

Drucifer Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2012 Illinois

I've had growlers from HF (mostly IPAs and pales) that lasted 3-5 days, but were also fine after 7-10 days (not as good as fresh, but definitely not a drain poor). I've also had growlers containing high gravity beers that lasted years. Last year some awesome dude popped open a 2009 growler of Czar Jack from Town Hall and it held it's own with BCBS.

17. maximum12

Trader

Ha! No shit? That was probably my growler, though a buddy of mine had another growler of Czar Jack (I think it was 2010?). They were both still amazingly good, though I think his '10 was better & the '09 had begun to fade a bit. Still damn impressive for a three year old growler experiment.

dougofthefuture and Drucifer like this.
  18. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Initiate (0) May 6, 2010 Minnesota

yes I am

tjshippen and Gonzoillini like this.
  19. Alpar

Alpar Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2009 Wisconsin

I'm in

20. feloniousmonk

feloniousmonk Poo-Bah (4,975) Nov 14, 2002 Minnesota

This is Surly. Everything they do is surly. Get used to it.

jk.

21. shawnp

shawnp Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2010 Minnesota
    ¡Bad Trader!

If anyone wants fresh TG growlers, lmk.. I can head down Thursday after a work meeting. I will not be able to go Friday morning. Also, I'd have to imagine Clark and crew will be there with fresh growlers as well to share much the same as last year.

22. dougofthefuture

dougofthefuture Aspirant (280) Oct 15, 2009 Minnesota

Mine was 2008!!

I've got a 2008 Twisted Jim set aside for this year, along with fresh growlers from Hill Farmstead and Cigar City. I'm getting excited!

tjshippen likes this.
  23. dougofthefuture

Anyone want to do a Parabola vertical? I have a batch 1 and 2 that have been burning a hole in my cellar...

24. DBijnagte

DBijnagte Initiate (115) Dec 7, 2012 Minnesota

I have batch 2 and 4.

25. maximum12

Trader

I have a batch 3 Dougie Fresh. I am always happy when I have Parabola in my glass.

26. dougofthefuture

Let's do this! I'll send a message to coordinate.

27. fredmugs

fredmugs Poo-Bah (1,500) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Trader

I have Friday off so this would be an awesome little road trip for me. Newbie questions:

1. If I bring a tent I can roll in on Friday and be "in line" for Sat morning? I have a picture in my head of tent city before Duke basketball games.

2. If yes would I then have to pack up my shit, stay in line until I get the wristband, and then go put my stuff away?

3. What can/can't you bring to the party? Once I get the wristband is it just wait until they open and you'll be inside (eventually)?

28. Drucifer

Drucifer Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2012 Illinois

1. Yes, but you can only have the tent up during dark hours. You must get up before dawn and put away your tent.

2. The Surly volunteers will announce (loudly) when people need to be awake for wristbands. Tents will have to be down and you will have to be soberish.

3. You can bring anything legal. It's basically a tailgate. Just don't be extremely drunk in the morning or they will not give you a band. Once you get your band, you can leave/eat/drink/do whatever.

fredmugs likes this.
  29. eagles7251

eagles7251 Initiate (78) Sep 29, 2009 New Jersey

If I recall did Surly Darkness hit the stores the following Monday after Darkness day last year?

30. theCoder

They usually shoot for Halloween as release day, or at least that was the past 2 or so years

31. maximum12

Trader

All bets are off this year. Surly moved from a self-distributing model to using a distributor during the past year, so it's anyone's guess (other than those directly involved) when Darkness will show up in stores.

32. eagles7251

eagles7251 Initiate (78) Sep 29, 2009 New Jersey

33. DooshBagalow

DooshBagalow Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2012 Illinois

Anyone wanting to do a BA Dark Lord share? I have the Port. The buddy of mine that took me to DLD as his +1 has struck out all 5 years of his attendance, and I won on my first time. I promised him that I wouldn't open it without him, but we always have so many other bottles to open when we do get together that I feel like this is going to just sit for an awful long time. I can't think of a more appropriate time to share this one, than this release day, six months later, as a surprise. If anyone wants to coordinate on this, let me know here or BM, so maybe we can arrange to meet up. Thanks!

34. ChicagoShoop

ChicagoShoop Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2012 Illinois

Hey doosh, i dont have a BA DL but I will be bringing a 2009 DL if interested.

35. theCoder

I'd love to taste some of these, but do not have any DL to offer. Just setup an IP trade for DD to unload my 2012 I have. But I could bring things to share pre-post DL tasting that could be of equal awesome-sauce-ness (yea it's a word, deal).

If my buddy's going, I might be able to convince him to let me bring the bottle of Brandy Barrel Huna he's storing in my cellar.

36. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Initiate (0) May 6, 2010 Minnesota

might be a reason to break out some of my BA DL's, it's a toss up to bring it or drink it with the 6 freakin people crashing at my house Sat night. Oh the decisions.

37. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aspirant (235) Mar 22, 2013 Iowa

If anyone from a Deschutes market that's able to grab Chasin Freshies wants to grab me a couple, I'd be happy to bring up 32oz of TG Golden Nugget.

38. phreak1983

phreak1983 Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2008 Iowa

Todd listed the lineup on Facebook today! Fallen Empire, God Came from Space, Rivers of Nihil, Vulgaari, Exhumed and Impaler. I was just telling Todd last Darkness Day it would be cool to have Impaler play since they are another old school metal band from the cities :grinning: And Exhumed?! I can't wait!

Revenant likes this.
  39. manny90

manny90 Initiate (71) Feb 7, 2011 California

Isn't MN a Deschutes market?

40. shadetree67

shadetree67 Disciple (329) Sep 11, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Yup

phreak1983 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.