Surly Darkness Day 2013

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by bfirkin45, Oct 2, 2013.

1. crossovert

crossovert Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

Some people lit on last year at darkness.

2. Revenant

Revenant Aug 8, 2012 Minnesota

That was super funny to watch as it rolled on by.

3. NIN1988

NIN1988 Oct 9, 2013 South Dakota
    Beer Trader

Mmmm cacao bender. Great, guess I won't be able to stand up at work the rest of the day...

Revenant likes this.
  4. Revenant

Dampfbier too
    and I wanna say Schadenfreude and Misanthrope but can't recall 100%

5. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Jan 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Unfortunately replaced by Dampfbier.

6. elliott1184

elliott1184 Mar 31, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

phreak1983, josephwa and McRyan like this.
  7. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky Feb 13, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

If anyone doesn't have their allotment filled and would be willing to count me in for 2 bottles, BM me. I would be grateful, thanks!

8. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson Jan 11, 2011 Minnesota

Heh. Last year, Suitcase Jon (capra12) gave us a growler of 2008 BCBS on Friday afternoon, and most of us have fuzzy memories of the evening. The 2008 was great.

Dontcounttoday likes this.
  9. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Apr 23, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Hmmm there was a cask of BA Darkness in 2011. I missed all casks last year. Theres hope!

Revenant likes this.
  10. DooshBagalow

DooshBagalow Dec 1, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

So yes I have been following along in the thread and probably missed it, but I just wanted to verify whether or not they allow bottle sharing to continue on the grounds once the fest starts. Trying to gauge what amount to bring based on estimated arrival time. Thanks

Pidzik12 likes this.
  11. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Dec 25, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

No bottle share inside the gates.

12. McRyan

McRyan Jul 25, 2012 Minnesota

Anyone come just for the bottle share last year and head home for the night? I know a few that did that and still got 4 bottles at the 3:30 extra allotment. Not a horrible trade off, you get the best of both worlds and only two less bottles.

13. josephwa

josephwa Jun 4, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I certainly did! Was an awesome time on both accounts.

BigBadBeerSnob, cofeeguru and McRyan like this.
  14. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Jun 25, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Never been, but I hope to do this. Come hang out a bit Friday night, bottle share and such. Then come back relatively early.

McRyan likes this.
  15. smartassboiler

smartassboiler Apr 9, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'm going to be coming up from IL along 94. What's a good place along the way to stop that has a great selection of Surly beers? Or maybe something closer to the brewery? I know the brewery doesn't sell beer there.

16. DBijnagte

DBijnagte Dec 7, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Zipps on 94 and Riverside is probably the most convenient.

sacrelicio likes this.
  17. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

There's a few stores near the brewery that I can't vouch for, but Zipp's is right off 94 and awesome.

18. Ragnarok88

Ragnarok88 May 30, 2013 Minnesota

Morelli's Market in St Paul will get you the most bang for your buck, but they are cash only.

copslovebeer likes this.
  19. psychotia

psychotia Jun 27, 2009 Minnesota

About how long did bottles last in the stores last year? Range of a couple hours to a day? I may not be going to Darkness Day, and as a 9-5'er, I'm a little concerned...

20. NIN1988

NIN1988 Oct 9, 2013 South Dakota
    Beer Trader

9-5ers take PTO Friday. ;)

jebsinger likes this.
  21. psychotia

psychotia Jun 27, 2009 Minnesota

Hmm there's a thought... ;)

22. Revenant

There were bottles available 4 to 5 months in some stores. Also some stores got a few mystery shipments a few weeks later as well.

23. theCoder

theCoder Oct 24, 2011 Minnesota
    Subscriber Beer Trader

As mentioned this was the case in "some" stores. Many near me blew through their allotment in a few hours to a few days. Then the "mystery shipment" (that was rumored to have been slotted for Chicago but Surly decided to instead send it out to some stores locally to hook up locals, not sure the truth to this just what I heard and obviously if I hear it, it's true) lasted for longer at the stores that got it. Depends where you live and go. I work from home but am not sure I can actually stay the night so I may just go for the bottle share and go get my 6 days of release driving around.

24. tourdot

tourdot Mar 3, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

What's the average mark up at stores?

25. archi348

archi348 Nov 7, 2012 Minnesota

Most that I saw in stores were $22-25. A few up near $30 though.

tourdot likes this.
  26. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Jun 24, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I saw everything 19.99 except when I visited crochester some smaller store was selling it for 27

tourdot likes this.
  27. MNPikey

MNPikey Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

At the brewery on Darkness Day its $20 tax included. In stores, via a distributor now, expect to pay no less than $20 plus tax with a 2 bottle limit. Should be about the same price as Seviin.

tourdot likes this.
  28. Draughtsman

Draughtsman Feb 14, 2011 Minnesota

Anybody not planning on taking their full allotment? I'll be happy to pitch in/trade for the remainder. Unfortunate circumstances prevent me from going this year. :(

29. Will_Edgar

Will_Edgar Oct 23, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Anyone still looking to do some beer trades? Don't wanna use up everything I'm bringing for the bottle share Friday night.

30. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Jun 25, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I will post here if I have extra bottles after DDay. It is likely I'll have a few. I'll put em up for $20.

31. maximum12

maximum12 Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Where were these theoretical stores? Even my holes-in-the-wall places didn't last a week...are you confusing that second shipment with Darkness 'hanging around' for months?

32. JAGI410

JAGI410 Nov 20, 2010 Minnesota

Friendly reminder for out-of-staters...no Sunday sales in MN, so do your bottle shopping early!

phreak1983 and DooshBagalow like this.
  33. Revenant

No. I recall Big Discount Liquor and First Grand getting second shipments after blowing through them in a day. I think Ale Jail got some more a few weeks later too.

34. tjshippen

tjshippen Nov 13, 2011 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I know last year I walked in got my allotment then went back outside and went to another tasting table not to far from the main gate. I usually bring a case plus and whatever I don't drink I can always bring home rather have more than less...

35. theCoder

theCoder Oct 24, 2011 Minnesota
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Heritage as well got second shipments. The second shipments were in December as I remember my buddy picking up some before a holiday shindig we had. Either way it was a nice surprise :)

Ok, me go back to work, have about 15 hours of work to do today if I hope to make it to DD.

36. moonman14

moonman14 Sep 27, 2012 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Anyone going from the Milwaukee area Friday?

37. travdawg7

travdawg7 Mar 5, 2009 Minnesota

How many extra bottles do they have at 3:30? Tough to get out of the house while watching the kids.

38. MNPikey

MNPikey Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I picked up a couple bottles at Werwins just about 2 months ago. Many stores still have alot in the back they pull out for special events or for regular customers who might ask for one once in a while.

Revenant likes this.
  39. McRyan

McRyan Jul 25, 2012 Minnesota

What are people bringing for bottle share?

Here is my list so far:
    Sosus
    Justin blabaer
    Rye-On-Rye
    Hop Savant
    Prairie Funky Galaxy

josephwa likes this.
  40. tjshippen

tjshippen Nov 13, 2011 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Yeah my bro and I are leaving Friday morning from milwaukee

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe