1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Surly found a distributor

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by leezy, May 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,032) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

From the Press Release:
    I'm wondering whether the new wholesaler will have dibs on distribution rights outside of the State, considering the fact that they maintain subsidiaries which are active in other states.

evilgenius1917 likes this.
  2. dc55110

dc55110 Aspirant (293) Oct 24, 2010 Minnesota

http://www.surlybrewing.com/newsblog/

3. Philly82785

Philly82785 Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2008 Minnesota

I highly doubt that we will raise the price to those. Johnson Brothers didn't receive any of those items. I think stores are just trying to jack the price and they needed an excuse.

4. Scoobydank

Scoobydank Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2007 Minnesota

I have not talked on this site for about a year but......
    So your telling me that all of us stores in the other Distributors territory, got together and said "Let's all be higher priced than the stores who Surly self distributes to. When people ask, put it on the distributor. No one will be the wiser and we can rake in money." I hate having to hear that my prices are higher on Surly products than those that Surly self distributed to. To think that for the 7 years I have been carrying Surly, I have been lying to regulars, employees, friends, neighbors...... so I could just "jack the price" is wrong.
    I see that you work for Johnson brothers. It should be rather easy for you to see an invoice from a store that does not receive Surly from Johnson Brothers. Heck, come to my store and I will show you the pricing myself.We pay more for Surly.
    I wish you could have seen my face on Monday when I found out that Johnson Brothers was keeping the same pricing that Surly had been giving stores they directly shipped to. What followed were phone calls from people within the industry asking me "Is this true, how can they hold that price" My short answer to each one of those calls "I have no fricking idea".
    Like I said, I don't respond on this site much anymore, but I felt I had to speak on us "trying to jack the price".

5. dougofthefuture

dougofthefuture Aspirant (281) Oct 15, 2009 Minnesota
    Trader

What a strange deal. I wonder if Johnson Brothers offered to take the account on razor thin margins with Surly's promise of expansion to other areas, or something of the sort. Either that or Surly is selling at different prices, which just seems weird.

Either way, someone should get some answers.

6. Lifeofbrian

Lifeofbrian Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2010 Minnesota

Correct.

7. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,068) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

Some clarification from the brewery about pricing across the board would be really nice right about now.

8. incutrav

incutrav Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2007 Minnesota

Wouldnt the simple answer be that the NW distributor is adding a markup, and obviously Johnson Bros is not? This is assuming Surly sells all beer to all distributors for the same price out the door. No reason to think otherwise on that front.

Perhaps their are other incentives in place for Johnson Bros that they intend to make their $ on

9. feloniousmonk

feloniousmonk Poo-Bah (5,026) Nov 14, 2002 Minnesota

Or the simple answer could be that Surly is taking a hit, and not enjoying the margin it used to because now it's playing on the same field as the big guys and that's what happens. When they started up seven years ago, distributors were peeved that they weren't playing in their sandbox, and giving them a bite. Seven years of getting bigger margins has helped pay for a lot of their expansions.

10. opwog

opwog Zealot (573) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

I wouldn't expect any changes to those costs in those markets, but it certainly give you enough reason to have that uncomfortable conversation with them abiut why they are over priced :wink:

11. evilgenius1917

evilgenius1917 Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2009 Minnesota

It's entirely possible, if not likely, that the NW distributor takes a different mark on select packages. Everybody's right!

Philly82785 and Chaz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.