Surly's New Brewer's Table Restaurant

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Jackofallbrews, Jun 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackofallbrews

Jackofallbrews Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 Minnesota

iasanlee, nogophers, morimech and 4 others like this.
  2. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

I have no idea what you are eating, but it looks amazing.

3. Jackofallbrews

That is the chocolate peanut butter sphere served with Barrel Aged Darkness!

Mnmaverick and BrettHead like this.
  4. islay

islay Disciple (324) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

I didn't realize that Brewer's Table had a different set of beers available on tap than does the Beer Hall. I wonder if that's a new batch of Misanthrope, which would suggest that the long-awaited bottles should be coming soon.

Small point: Pentagram and Misanthrope are "pseudosours." They use Brettanomyces yeast, so they are "Wild Ales," and they are tart and funky, but they don't achieve the true souring effects of such bacteria as Lactobacillus or Pediococcus. To my knowledge Surly has yet to brew a true sour.

5. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Aspirant (262) Oct 27, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

[​IMG]

6. DineAlone

DineAlone Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2014 Minnesota

This is similar to what I tell people when they order a "sour". Or when other people say they don't like it because it is not what they were expecting and it is "too sour". Their eyes glaze over when I start talking about souring bacteria vs. "wild" yeasts.

islay likes this.
  7. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2013 Minnesota

wooden soul #1 vs wooden soul #2 is another example of Wild v. Sour

[​IMG]

islay likes this.
  8. islay

As sours and wild ales continue to increase in popularity, this distinction will become much more widely understood, at least within the industry and among homebrewers and BAs. Minnesotans benefit from the fact that @CLevar, who has been one of the most knowledgable and strongest advocates of this distinction here and at the other site, is a local. Note that to the extent that actual sour flavors are present in supposedly 100% Brett-fermented beers (as Pentagram is marketed), it seems to be because they are picking up actual souring microbes, usually from the wine barrels (i.e., they are infected and thus actually partially fermented by something other than Brettanomyces yeast). But that is something that could happen to almost any beer put into wine barrels, not merely ones that use Brettanomyces as the yeast, and it's not guaranteed to happen from wine barrel aging. A 100% Brett-fermented beer that isn't barrel aged isn't any more likely than any other beer to be sour; at least that seems to be the best current understanding.

CLevar likes this.
  9. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (121) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

Why do they have to make food look waaaaaay more than it really needs to?

10. cmannes

cmannes Disciple (336) Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota

I'm so conflicted. I like food. So when I read these reviews talking about how awesome it is, I think "I need to try that!" But then I look at the pics and read the descriptions, and I'm much less excited. I think I'm the opposite of a foodie.

11. psychotia

psychotia Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2009 Wisconsin

OP, great review, enjoyed reading through it!

Jackofallbrews likes this.
  12. sean_mpls

sean_mpls Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2012 Minnesota

The food is amazing. I guess it's not for everyone but I suppose that's why they have the beer hall.

13. mikevanatta

mikevanatta Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 Minnesota

Need this place in my life.

14. DarrenE

DarrenE Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2015 Minnesota

I could be wrong but I don't see how you get Pentagram-level sour without souring bacteria. It may not be intentionally added, but i think it has to be in the barrels which has more or less the same effect as intentionally adding. Again, I could be wrong.

15. mjryan

mjryan Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

I think you nailed it.

16. mrpeterandthepuffers

mrpeterandthepuffers Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Minnesota

I'd consider myself a foodie but $75 a person is quite a bit for a 5-course small plate tasting menu and 20 oz of beer.

Comparatively you can go to Travail and get 15-20 courses for a cheaper price.

17. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (611) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

And we called wine drinkers snobby and pretentious

18. islay

I've always considered Pentagram notably unsour for a beer presented as being sour. That said, I'll modify my initial contention to allow for the possibility of some actual sourness being present due to bacteria from the wine barrels, presumably Oenococcus oeni (not that it's inconceivable that some Lactobacillus could have snuck into the barrel). Nonetheless, I suspect that what many people are interpreting as sourness is mostly the result of the Brettanomyces, perhaps enhanced by a bit of Placebococcus. :wink:

Mnmaverick likes this.
  19. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (121) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

Forgot a word.... :rolling_eyes:

20. Jackofallbrews

Well at least this post started some chatter! Yup, not a cheap date, but still one of the best meals I've had.

iasanlee and Petcha like this.
  21. Petcha

Petcha Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2012 Minnesota

Thanks for the review. Going tonight with the wife, looking forward to trying that pork jowl :slight_smile:

22. Mnmaverick

Mnmaverick Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2013 Minnesota

I agree. It's funky but it's not all that sour. But I love it.

23. DineAlone

DineAlone Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2014 Minnesota

I agree, Pentagram and Misanthrope are not very tart to me. Any tartness that is there is definitely from the bacteria that was already in the barrels. Brett will also produce a little bit of acetic acid because of the slow oxidation from the beer being in the barrels.

24. CLevar

CLevar Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2009 Minnesota

Oh! Oh! I know something about this topic!

Here is a little writeup I did a while back. Any questions, just ask. I love chatting about this stuff.

[​IMG]

25. CLevar

CLevar Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2009 Minnesota

You are most assuredly not wrong.

mjryan likes this.
  26. MNBeer1017

MNBeer1017 Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2013 Minnesota

Does brewers table serve wine?

27. Stimulus199

Stimulus199 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2013 Minnesota

Nope, no wine.

MNBeer1017 likes this.