American Ales Sweet Stout - AG

Discussion in 'Homebrew Recipes' started by InVinoVeritas, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Devotee (427) Apr 16, 2012 Wisconsin

Sweet Stout
    All Grain
    5.3 Gallon
    OG - 1.064
    FG - 1.024

Basically a Buffalo Sweat clone converted to sweet stout, with adjustments to the recipe and process / mash temp.

Malt Bill:
    0.5 lbs rice hulls
    7.75 lbs pale malt
    1.5 lbs flaked oats
    1 lbs roasted barley
    1 lbs vienna malt
    0.5 lbs victory malt
    0.375 lbs black malt

Mash:
    Rest - 160 deg F for 60 mins
    Mash Out - 168 deg for 10 mins
    Mash pH - 5.4

Hops & boil additions:
    0.5 lbs lactose @ 60 mins
    1.0 oz pellet Glacier @ 60 mins
    1.0 oz pellet Willamette @ 5 mins

Misc:
    Brewhouse efficiency - 74%

Yeast:
    British Ale Yeast Wyeast 1098

Fermentation:
    Primary for 2 weeks, fermenting on the cool side of range 62 to 64 deg F
    Secondary for 3 weeks

Vanilla beans addition:
    Take 3 beans (madagascar), cut the ends, and split it down the middle. Scrape out the guts, cut the case into smaller pieces and add to a jar. Pour either bourbon or vodka, enough to cover them roughly in a glass jar and seal the jar. Let the mix soak for a few weeks (2.5 weeks). Add to secondary to taste, generally 2-4 weeks (3 weeks).

#1 InVinoVeritas, May 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
  2. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Do you have the IBU's that the beer should be, or the AA% of the hops you used? If so, add those to the recipe and be sure to put all the info on the recipe up top like the sample recipe I posted. It'll make it easier to hover over a recipe and see the "basics" of the beer, such as OG/FG/IBU/Batch size.

sarcastro likes this.
  3. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2006 Michigan

I wish, if the bro's want the recipes in a specific format, that they would make the recipe page like a form you fill out instead of just a blank page like the forums. It sure would be easier to post recipes.

inchrisin and DerrickW like this.
  4. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

I was somewhat thinking the same thing, like maybe a template or something.. I'm wondering if I just put the format in a sticky, and you can copy it, paste it, and fill it in before posting.

5. InVinoVeritas

@FATC1TY sorry for missing the IBUs, think it's in the 20s. I'll confirm once I get home with BeerSmith. I thought that I was being crazy with details, however missed the bitterness. Thanks for the pointer and I'm also in favor of a template to standardize.

6. InVinoVeritas

On a side note, judge feedback from the competition I entered this into was to add a little more roasted malts. Whatcha guys think, an extra 0.25 lbs of roasted barley?

7. inchrisin

inchrisin Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

From what I see in the recipe, I think that'd be a bit much. maybe the lactose and vanilla helps hide the roast? What did you think of the beer?

8. InVinoVeritas

By far the best beer I've made thus far. If you hadn't seen my other post, it scored well with a 41.5 and place second in class. I'm just trying to see if this has in it to advance me to be considered, maybe not win, to best in show with small recipe changes. How about 0.25 lbs light roasted barley or even a less amount?

9. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California
    Deactivated

English chocolate, coffee malt, pale chocolate, midnight wheat or dehusked carafa III will get your beer where it needs to go .

inchrisin likes this.
  10. InVinoVeritas

@barfdiggs thanks for the advice. Northern is my local shop and from their selection, I think I like Simpsons Chocolate Malt, compared to: Simpsons Coffee, Fawcett Pale Chocolate, Briess Midnight or Weyermann DC III.

Any thought on amount as a starting point? Perhaps drop down to an 1/8 lbs to start. Then if needed, I can add more in future recipe revisions.

11. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California
    Deactivated

Try adding 0.25 lb or 0.5 lb. Its not nearly as potent as black malt or roasted barley, but will give you some dark chocolate and mild roast flavors (enough to round out your beer a bit).

InVinoVeritas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.