Swirling before pouring. Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tasterschoice62, Feb 27, 2020.

1. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (1,621) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Just curious as to how many kick up that yeast and protein before the pour.
    Especially in hazy and DDH beers. NEIPAs can go from slight haze to turbid. I do it it but not all the time. You? And whats your criteria?

2. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,632) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I will sometimes do it with a BBA beer, mostly as an experiment. I'll hold back an ounce or so of beer from pouring into my snifter, and once I've drank all but 2-3 ounces of the beer in the snifter I'll swirl the saved beer in the bottle with the dregs and pour it into the glass to see what effect it has on the rest of the beer. It certainly makes the remaining beer cloudy, and generally it mutes the flavor too so that I keep wondering why I do it and have less enjoyment while finishing the beer.

Hefeweizens are not my favorite style so I don't buy them often, but when i have one I'll swirl it sometimes and sometimes not. Typically I'll taste a sample of the beer before swirling to decide if I like the beer that way, and if I don't really like it I'll swirl and drink the rest of it with the yeast flavor added.

3. tasterschoice62

Society Trader

I never really thought of it in the context of a BBA stout. I guess there would be some interesting things at the bottom of that bottle. I would think lots of tannins and vanillin plus any remains of unfiltered adjuncts (cocoa nibs, coffee, fruits...). I think with the NEIPAs now the sediment can add something to the body in some cases and with proprietary yeast strains it adds distinction.

#3 tasterschoice62, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  4. nesarebad

nesarebad Devotee (474) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Shake shake shake them cans...

SawDog505 and tasterschoice62 like this.
  5. tasterschoice62

Society Trader

Old Nation, who is killing it right now actually has a sediment "warning' and how to handle it. Its not the first time Ive seen those instructions. Waaaay back there was a beer that instructed to roll the beer on the table. One of the historians help me here. @jesskidden
    @JackHorzempa
    [​IMG]

6. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,007) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

Depends. Wheats? Yes. Belgians? I'll pour the first part clean, then swirl the remnants into the second pour. Murkbombs? Yup.

mikeinportc, larryi86, Amendm and 7 others like this.
  7. AllOfTheCats

AllOfTheCats Aspirant (241) Mar 27, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

IPAs, never. Too much bitter hops at the bottom.

BA beers and imperial stouts, yes, unless I forget.

Amendm and tasterschoice62 like this.
  8. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Poo-Bah (1,817) Dec 29, 2013 Washington
    Society

Nope. Too many times after 2-3 beers like that my stomach starts to churn in unholy ways. Have even noticed NEIPA's give a splitting headache the next day, along with dying of thirst. Don't get that way with "clean" or clear beers so I personally stay away from a swirl.

9. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,166) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Redhook Rye bottles of the 90's had text about rolling the bottle. Maybe their other unfiltered beers too, but I remember first-hand experience with that one.

beertunes, Amendm and tasterschoice62 like this.
  10. Bruno74200

Bruno74200 Poo-Bah (2,797) Aug 23, 2015 France
    Society

I always make the following assumption : if it's in the can (or the bottle) it's supposed to be consumed. If not why do you let it in there? As a former professional brewer I know that there are many ways to make a perfectly clear/homogeneous beer. If you're missing that point, maybe you ought to correct your process.

Plus in many contexts the sediment is mostly made from yeast, this is a real vitamins gold mine.

11. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,689) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Hazy IPAs? Whatevs...

Everything else? NFW.

12. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (980) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Depends on the beer.

beertunes and tasterschoice62 like this.
  13. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (548) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Depends on what the beer is, and if I feel like rolling the bottle or inverting the can or whatever to put the sediment back into solution. I really don't care for it too much with NEIPA type beers because sometimes, more often than not actually. It's just hop related gunk which shouldn't have been pulled through which in turn tastes disgusting. If I see floaties in my pour. You better believe I'm taking the last ounce and swirling it.

14. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (214) Nov 8, 2009 New York

If I have a hazy in the fridge, I store it upside down. I figure that when I break it out and turn it right side up before I pour it, all the haze particulate will fall and kind of redistribute itself throughout the can.

AllOfTheCats and tasterschoice62 like this.
  15. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,353) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I swirl when necessary or If feel like it, I love floaties swirling in my glass.

Isn’t everyone afraid of over swirling introducing too much oxygen and changing the flavor of their beer. Swirling too hard causes bruising of the beer, rendering it shitty. After all if you sweat truck shipments of your beer so it follows a vigorous swirling of your beer must be a devastating thought. :slight_smile:

16. Ocalafox

Ocalafox Savant (994) May 17, 2016 Florida
    Society Trader

Shocktop had a roll the bottle comment on the label.

tasterschoice62 and mickyge like this.
  17. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (221) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

When I buy hefeweizens I definitely swirl the last ounce or so in the bottle and add it to my beer.

If I thought hazy IPAs were anything special and actually bought a can of one then I may try that but I don't know what it would actually add.

Any other style I won't add it back.

Amendm, tasterschoice62 and Scrapss like this.
  18. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (59) May 15, 2018 Virginia

No, I'd never swirl around a NEIPA and then pour the sediment into my glass. I've had too many beers with (hop??) sediment that burns my throat and I do not want that in my beer. Looking at you, Aslin with the excessive sediment in your IPAs and 'slugs' in your stouts.

19. mickyge

mickyge Meyvn (1,052) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

There is a reason Heady Topper tells you to drink from the can. If you saw what was left on the bottom of the can you might not drink it again. 1 vote for no swirl.

SABERG, beertunes, Amendm and 3 others like this.
  20. traction

traction Zealot (502) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

I tried Heady and Focal Banger for the first time recently and my batch of heady didn't have much sediment at at all but the cans of Focal Banger had an absolute ridiculous amount of sediment in them. Looked like big chunks floating from top to bottom in the glass and unlike any other sediment I have ever seen

21. Scrapss

Scrapss Defender (663) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania

I have swirled a few Hefeweizens. Every other style, no thanks.

22. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (333) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I've heard of the rolling and i'm very adamantly against it. I've drank Tree House/Trillium from the can and as it gets towards the end, the hop burn gets horrible. Pour the beer into a glass and keep that shit as settled as possible on the bottom of the can.

23. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (4,623) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

All IPAs 3 rolls top too bottom, so you get all the hoppy goodness to settle.

tasterschoice62 likes this.
  24. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (51) Dec 5, 2019

I swirl for Hefe's, but still I don't pour the bottom clung dregs into my glass.
    I don't really drink too many NEIPAs, but if I did I would not swirl. I find turbid beers to be off-putting

tasterschoice62 likes this.
  25. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,901) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

The bottom murk is the best part IMO. Always swirl to get all those yeasty sediments and thicken up the beer. Whether it’s Belgian, Hef, or NEIPA I always swirl the bottom 1/3 pour into my glass to make sure I get most of it. I have a crazy theory that yeasty stuff at the bottom of wild ales is healthy for your gut like kombucha or Greek Yogurt. Here’s to your health via beer!

26. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,025) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Makes me want a vegamite sandwich.

27. tasterschoice62

Society Trader

I believe thats the one I was thinking of. I used to dig that beer when it came out once a year.

beertunes and Amendm like this.
  28. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (426) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Industry

I know I am a curmudgeon and I know BRIGHT BEER is the way God intended for us to drink our beer. In a clear, beer clean glass.*

I don't know man. I just can't get out of bed some of these murky sludge pops. I do drink NEIPA but I'm fairly certain it's wrong.

Cheers
    * Unless the bottle says Weihenstephaner. Then hell yeah. Give me a shot of Vitamin B with that beer.

29. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,166) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Never the can, only once in the glass (old wine habits die hard). :wink:

30. VoodooBear

VoodooBear Crusader (708) Aug 25, 2012 Puerto Rico
    Trader

Been burned one too many times by disgusting trub in hazy cans to do it anymore. With belgians (and belgian-like beers) and hefes I just drink most of the beer "clean" and take my notes, etc. that way. Once I'm done I'll down the remaining ounces with the sediment as a fun exercise.

beertunes, Amendm, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  31. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,901) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

You must be 6’4” and full of muscles!

32. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,025) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I'm 6'3", but I'm withering nicely-I hope- like Joe Biden.

33. mickyge

Society Trader

:rofl: and a slack jaw and not much to say.

34. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Zealot (511) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

Belgian bottle conditioned, hell yes swirl it and enjoy the yeasty goodness. It is part of the beer.

35. tasterschoice62

Society Trader

"Can you speak my language?"

Amendm and mickyge like this.
  36. zid

zid Meyvn (1,416) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

37. mickyge

Society Trader

They were the epitome of the one hit wonder, but a pretty good song never the less

Amendm and tasterschoice62 like this.
  38. tasterschoice62

Society Trader

They had another hit

eppCOS, mickyge, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  39. zid

zid Meyvn (1,416) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I’m confused. If a brewer bottle conditions their beer, it’s not an issue of correcting their process and it doesn’t necessarily mean that “it’s supposed to be consumed.” (I’m distinguishing “supposed to” and “can be.”)

Amendm, tasterschoice62 and TongoRad like this.
  40. tasterschoice62

Society Trader

I agree with what you say but bottle conditioning and hop sludge and/or proteins in NEIPAs is a different kid. Im pretty sure there is no bottle conditioning in that process. However I will drink an entire Sierra Nevada Pale Ale no qualms. One of the original krausened "craft" brews. Totally agree with 'it doesnt necessarily have to be consumed'. And not sure a brewery could give you a definite answer. IE Old Nation.

Amendm likes this.