Switchback Now First Employee-Owned Brewery in VT

Discussion in 'New England' started by duchessedubourg, Feb 8, 2017.

1. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (232) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Bill Cherry sold his brewery to his 30 employees today. Much happiness in interviews with staff tonight. What a forward-thinking businessman - cheers to Switchback!

2. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (523) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

So unlike a certain other businessman we are hearing a lot about lately...

3. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (521) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Nice - can always enjoy a Switchback Ale apr├Ęs-ski. Hope they can stay true to their roots & have continued success amongst all the newcomers in VT.

4. sosbombs

sosbombs Initiate (171) Jan 12, 2016 Vermont

The guy sells his brewery, I hope for a profit- and he is a saint?

5. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (232) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Sold it to his employees, and now works alongside them as a partner. Wouldn't call it saint - like. More like a really great former boss who has treated his staff well since he started and wants to reward them for the success they helped create. That's laudable, imo.

NABS and SunDevilBeer like this.
  6. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (523) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Well, a pretty cool sinner at worst:-)

7. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (150) Dec 2, 2010 New York

Well, guy who doesn't know what's going on, considering he made this move through a stock ownership plan -- meaning the employees didn't have to spend a dime of their own -- I'd say he does qualify for sainthood.

rails, skivtjerry and duchessedubourg like this.
  8. sosbombs

sosbombs Initiate (171) Jan 12, 2016 Vermont

If true, that is awesome. I know that they sell a ton Switchback in these parts. But as far as working alongside it seems Mr. Cherry is retaining his position as President and brewmaster and their is an unsecured note to pay off in 15 years. But great for them.

9. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Champion (837) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

This is incredible and I'm happy for a buddy of mine who is a brewer there.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.