Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Tailgating beers in Texas

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by HoodooOperator, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoodooOperator

HoodooOperator Sep 27, 2012 Texas

Wth tailgating season fast approaching, Do y'all bust out good stuff, or keep it sessionable before/after rooting for your college/pro team of choice?

We keep miller lite for the octabong, but I will usually have some decent lighter craft too depending on the weather. Love football season because you can usually cycle some good fall seasonals as the season progresses

StArnoldFan likes this.
  2. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Dec 28, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I tailgate all the time at Texans games as we have season tickets. I bust out Weisse Versa a lot of the times. Zoe is something I look forward to having this season.

jbeezification, Jvrdz24 and Ford like this.
  3. mattisloco

mattisloco Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

It doesn't get a lot of love but since they reformulated Lawn Ranger by Cedar Creek, I find it quite enjoyable for a light drinker. I plan on drinking that a good amount while tailgating when it's hot. I'll switch to Brewhouse Brown and various porters when it cools down.

4. djd07

djd07 Oct 3, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

What lot are you in?

5. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Dec 28, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Blue

6. Ford

Ford Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Man.. I just had some of this last week on tap at Whole Foods and thought it was one of the worst craft beers I have ever tried.

Last time I went I took cans of Dales Pale Ale, Mama's Lil yella pills, and Hopadillo.

7. Show

Show Jul 21, 2011 Texas

octabong??
    really??

wolffman17 and champ103 like this.
  8. champ103

champ103 Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

Sessionable beer is good beer. I don't know why people would not drink Zoe, Hans Pilz, Weisse Versa, or any number of other great Texas beers at a tailgate?

Phil_S, wolffman17, Jvrdz24 and 2 others like this.
  9. HoodooOperator

whats the problem?

10. mattisloco

mattisloco Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

Had to be the old stuff.

11. Ford

Ford Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Ok, I had no idea they were/did change anything, so next time I find it on tap, I'll give it another taste. I did have their Eliot phone home or something like that in a can recently and it was just fine.

12. TTUJohn

TTUJohn Nov 13, 2012 Texas

I didn't like Eliot or Lawn Ranger at all. Both were in cans and I don't know dates, but I don't think I'll try either again.

13. jbeezification

jbeezification Jun 6, 2012 Texas

Modus Hoperandi, All Day IPA will be in cans this August, Deviant Dales, Resin, Torpedo, SN Pale Ale, White Rascal, I just saw we get Upslopes IPA so theres another good one as well as most of the stuff already mentioned.

14. kmello69

kmello69 Nov 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Well, I have no skin in the game when it comes to local college football, so when I'm forced to go to tailgates with my rampant UT fan in-laws, I try to get as drunk as possible to pass the time. So I'm probably the only one brining stouts to these things.....;)

thebigyellowjoint and UHCougar12 like this.
  15. morsetx

morsetx Mar 10, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Tx going to get all day in cans?

16. cam_williams

cam_williams Oct 3, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

In September

17. HoodooOperator

perfect timing

18. Ford

Ford Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I just had an upslope ipa in a can Saturday night... not bad.. not great, but not bad.

19. Grendle

Grendle Apr 11, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Ford likes this.
  20. HoodooOperator

for the pregame swill & tomfoolery
    [​IMG]

although better company usually finds its way around
    [​IMG]

these should come in handy on September 14th to either celebrate balls, or drown sorrows ... either way will make for a badass tailgate bottleshare (any Ags up for the game, come on by)
    [​IMG]

beer related because it makes you 'oversleep' ;)
    [​IMG]

Phil_S and FishPondManager like this.
  21. JohnBender

JohnBender Apr 20, 2012 Texas

80 Acre is pretty good for it. Blood and Honey will be out in bottles the first week of August. Perfect summer beer/brewery.

22. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Feb 28, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I'm going to have to come by on 9/14 and hit this octobong

UHCougar12 likes this.
  23. HoodooOperator

Some octa hits combined with a baller share would be nice indeed, NCol ... Lookin forward to it

FishPondManager likes this.
  24. HoodooOperator

GAMEDAY! Tailgating at home over the smoker today, college football Christmas is finally here

[​IMG]

FishPondManager and Ford like this.
  25. Ford

Ford Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

If the tailgate allows glass bottles, then the options are endless...

I still have some Love Street Summer.. .so easy to drink.. I alternated those with Weisse Versa recently.. good fun.

26. Phil_S

Phil_S Feb 14, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

I know what isn't a tailgating beer.... Drinking a 30 pack of Coor's Banquet. Didn't agree with my stomach or the floor...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe