Taking a Beer Break

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yossle

yossle Initiate (149) Dec 31, 2016 New York

Starting a 30 day break today. For all the reasons mentioned (money, weight/health) but also for a mental break. I spend a lot of time just thinking about beer and tracking down every single new local IPA that's released. I need to remind myself that it's ok if I miss a Grimm/OH/Singlecut/etc release.

DBosco, JayWhitson, TEHieatt and 2 others like this.
  2. BEER88

BEER88 Poo-Bah (1,784) Apr 2, 2015 Washington
    Society Trader

I finally read this article and it totally made me look at my current cellar situation as well as looking in the mirror at my used to be beach body! I am taking a break from buying and trading beer for a while. When both my cellar and body fat slim down I'll be back in the game. Cheers! #craftbeerlife

DBosco, JayWhitson, BeerPugz and 5 others like this.
  3. rodbeermunch

rodbeermunch Poo-Bah (6,209) Sep 30, 2015 Nevada
    Society Trader

Anytime I want to take a break from fancy beer, I just go and read the trading boards and forums; That pretty much makes me hate beer enough to be more than content with the Sierra Nevada Pale Ales, Cuvee Renes and FW barrel aged shelfies of the world.

New money beer culture is my anti-beer weapon of choice.

JayWhitson and Nickwierda like this.
  4. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,568) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I haven't had much beer this week but it's all been IPAs, it gets to be a drag to a point. I'd rather have a simple AAL today, but were flying out tomorrow so I'm not buying any more beer. Shipping a box home though, got some Kbs/ Rainstorm/ Summerstorm.

5. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Disciple (396) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

I've gone a beer break as part of a low carb diet. I also went through a period of rapid weight gain because I wanted to try a new beer every day.

I've settled in now, and I drink 3-4 beers a week. That's it. I make them good beers. More beer than that just isn't healthy for me. I may break the rule for a special occasion, but will be right back at it. I'm currently ridding my cellar of all imperial stouts and barleywines, and when they are gone I think that will be the end of them. Maybe a couple a year.

DBosco, BeerPugz and TEHieatt like this.
  6. Babalu614

Babalu614 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2017 Ohio

Taking 30 days of for an upcoming match, but have some double crooked tree and founders carmagedon waiting for me in the fridge!

CanadianBacon likes this.
  7. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

It's always a good idea to take a break from beer,- or drinking- every now and again....that is unless your doctor has asked you not to!

DBosco and CanadianBacon like this.
  8. CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon Crusader (712) Aug 26, 2015 Canada (QC)

While I understand the arguments made by people against taking a break now again, (A break can be a week btw). This is why I am for a break now and then. All the reasons above, weight being the biggest I hit my 26th birthday in October of 2016 weighing in at 293lbs and 6"1... I took a break where I drank once per week and I am now sitting at 250lbs. Life can be too short for sure, but there is more to life than beer and when you walk half a mile and feel pain from doing so... I would rather taste the same amount of beers and live to 90 than be the guy who drank 7 days a week and lived to 50.

Then comes the dollar factor. The amount some of us spend on beer every week we could travel the world times over in the end. Don't get me wrong I love trying new beers but I also love to travel. To me it would be a waste to neglect travelling just to try every beer I came across.

A 3rd reason I will bring up here. I found my way into the social media platforms other than BA used by beer lovers by accident looking for a place to take photos that wouldn't bombard my facebook with beer photos. Since finding places like instagram and twitter I have made numerous other friends who are beer lovers, Met up with some of them on brewery tours, Had "Beersaints" mail me beers, and gotten free beers and glassware from breweries. With all the free stuff I get more than enough beer to take a break at times just to let my head clear before diving in head first again... which I always do and will do.

These are just my reasons why I think taking a break can be good. I love this industry and always will love it but sometimes a break is definitely in order. Cheers!

9. pbjclimber

pbjclimber Initiate (33) Jun 6, 2005 Pennsylvania

I recently started brewing kombucha and when I am in the mood for a break from beer I switch to kombucha.

DBosco and Badfish like this.
  10. Volbeer

Volbeer Initiate (99) Mar 20, 2011 Pennsylvania

Outstanding article... agree a 100%. I am currently on a workout and weight reduction program and have cut my beer intake. Don't get me wrong... I love beer and it loves me so much it likes to stick around my mid-section. No beer during the week and modest consumption on the weekend goes a long way to losing weight and enjoying those times you can "cheat" :-)

11. GQchris

GQchris Initiate (101) Sep 26, 2008 California

Of course I take beer breaks. When I'm asleep at night.

Gajo74 and mikeinportc like this.
  12. Lahey

Lahey Devotee (402) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I went on a 2 month sober patch due to health issues. When I came back to it beer tasted extra sweet at first as I also abstained from sugar for the most part. After the release of kbs I've refound my love of dark beer. But I did lose weight and needed the break from beer for sure.

BeerPugz and TEHieatt like this.
  13. nw2571

nw2571 Initiate (46) Feb 26, 2017 Indiana

One other reason not mentioned is for Lent or other religious reason.

I'm not terribly religious but did give up alcohol for Lent one year and I will say that it's rewarding to put your mind to something and being able to have the willpower to do it.

SFACRKnight, BeerPugz and TEHieatt like this.
  14. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (298) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

I've never tried taking a break, but find beer most enjoyable when I limit it to 6-13 ounces a day. It's an accent, not the main course.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  15. yossle

yossle Initiate (149) Dec 31, 2016 New York

Just ended my 30 day break. Was definitely worth it for all the reasons listed above. And I gotta say, that first beer after 30 days was just wonderful.

AZBeerDude72, JayWhitson and BeerPugz like this.
  16. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,124) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I take a beer break daily, its call sleep. LOL. Seriously though I tend to not drink during the week and limit it to weekends due to work, so that is a nice balance for me where I never feel the need to stop for an extended period. I do have some if in the mood after work but as a whole its minor just because I wake early and need a clear head.

VABA and TEHieatt like this.
  17. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (660) Mar 28, 2009 California

I always have homebrews on tap, which makes it that much easier to pour a beer or just a half beer. However, that half beer usually turns into 5 half beers. I found myself drinking a couple beers every night. I have finally implemented beer breaks during the week. When I find myself drinking daily I take a break Monday- Thursday. I've enjoyed the breaks and find myself waking up more
    Mornings to ride my mountain bike and being in better shape to ride.

DBosco, TEHieatt and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  18. RandyCongdon

RandyCongdon Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2016 Nevada
    Deactivated

I buy a six-pack a week. This allows me to enjoy a beer a night. (Sometimes none at all, occasionally two.) Given what I have read about a beer-a-day helping prevent heart disease, I don't worry about a beer break for health reasons. The junk food that accompanies beer, though, is a bigger problem for me.

Also, I frequently buy variety packs. This helps prevent burnout on any given type.

If I am really tired or dehydrated on any given night, I will pass on beer, but I usually don't take a break for more than a day or two.

Additionally, my consumption level doesn't hurt my wallet.

19. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (851) Jan 19, 2013 Canada (NB)

A few weeks ago I got off my "beer break" that last somewhere around a month. I've always been a fan of cocktails, but got on a bit of a cocktail kick after reading a fantastic book dealing with the matter.

Even when i'm my regular beer swilling self, I try to limit my drinking during the week days; usually a day or two and one beer a night at most. A few days separating beers makes it that more exciting when, at the end of a long week at work, I get to dig into a six-pack of deliciousness.

Bottom line is, if you feel like you're not "excited" about beer anymore, take a break. It's still going to be here when you return (I damn well hope so anyway).

laketang likes this.
  20. Gajo74

Gajo74 Poo-Bah (2,678) Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

I know this doesn't count as a beer break, but I went about a week without drinking IPAs. They're my favorite style but I was being to feel the palate fatigue. The pros...I got to reconnect with other great styles and the IPA tasted amazing once I came back to it.
    As for a total beer break? I might try that this summer as we are traveling to my wife's home country, in Eastern Europe, that has crappy euro Lager.

nc41 and TEHieatt like this.
  21. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (433) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

I've cut back to just a couple of beers every other weekend. Low carb diet.

yossle and BEER88 like this.
  22. nc41

Society Trader

I'd bet that some of that crappy euro lager fresh on tap is going to surprise you how good it really is.

tzieser and Gajo74 like this.
  23. Gajo74

Gajo74 Poo-Bah (2,678) Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

Yes! That was a month ago, but that crappy Eastern European lager was a pleasant surprise. It was clean, smooth, refreshing and had a surprisingly pleasant hops bite. Plus I had the bad luck of vacationing during a horrible heat wave, so it totally hit the spot! The trip really taught me a lesson about not being so Ale centric.

yossle, nc41 and tzieser like this.
  24. nc41

Society Trader

That's great, it's a freshness issue in most cases, glad you had a great trip.

Gajo74 likes this.
  25. chitownfanatic21

chitownfanatic21 Aspirant (251) Sep 25, 2016 Nebraska
    Trader

After the last couple of years of doing my break for all of January and February, I added a few more this year. As a teacher, I get a lot of spare time during the summer, I usually fill that spare time with some quality beer drinking time. So after a trip to DC and Florida, with some stops at Aslin, Adriot, Cycle, Angry Chair, CCB and MANY others, I had drank for 15 days solid, decided so to a 3 week break until the 4th July. Now with GABF insight, I decided to take another 3 week break until that weekend; after a week of drinking every night last week, I could use the break! Granted, when I drink, it's only 2-3 beers and not getting plastered.

Long story short, long periods of drinking beer needs a break.

But on the other hand, do beer breaks actually work, or do they cause to to drink more?

ManBearPat and yossle like this.
  26. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (498) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Funny seeing this pop up again... after another big weekend. I think I can take off from now until GABF sans this Friday night for Lefthand Octoberfest... I quit smoking, why couldn't I take a few weeks off from drinking??!?

27. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (886) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Depends how much and how often that you're drinking during that time, but, yeah, I'd agree. Delaying one's gratification does, indeed, make for a better experience once one actually chooses to do the thing that they are delaying.

Good question. I'd have to posit that they would be less successful at getting one to drink less than, say, simply drinking a couple days a week instead of every day.

28. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,782) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

You really want to lower your tolerance before GABF? Ballsy move.

I recently took a break for health reasons, and took a break from hoppy beers for the summer. My palate reset from it's lupulin threshold shift, and ipas actually taste like they used to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.