Tapping Keg in Cellar

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by BeastOfTheNortheast, Apr 3, 2018.

1. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (217) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

What would be the cons of getting a sixtel, tapping it, and then leaving it in your 55-60° cellar?

Could this work? I am thinking more along the lines of an RIS or barleywine.

2. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,908) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

By "tapping" it, are you are referring to a CO dispensing line? Using a party tap would leave the beer oxidized after a day or so.

youradhere likes this.
  3. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (502) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

Yes it could “work” and the beer lines will be a direct bacterial conduit if you leave it on tap and cellar for any amount of months. My homebrew will usually and eventually sour if left on tap in my kegerator- sometimes that would be a pleasant surprise (“why yes I did intentionally brew this sour beer and it didn’t spoil while sitting on tap for 6 months without drinking it during one of my dry spells”), other times it would be an indicator to dump that batch and bring up the next sealed keg to tap.

4. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (371) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Not to mention the warmer temp will cause a lot of foaming, creating a significant loss.

5. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (409) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I'd say it depends on how long it'll last.
    I presume with a bigger beer it'll last longer than a pale ale or something.
    If you are using an air-pump tap, it won't last long enough. With a CO2 dispenser, it may.
    If you plan on doing this, if at all possible keep it in a fridge or at least a water bath and rotate ice bottles in and out a couple times a day. You may get long enough out of it.