Teaching rookie home brewers

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Gregorykholt, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gregorykholt

Gregorykholt Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 California

I just joined a group of very nice guys who go to the local brewing shop and brew seasonally. Really nice guys, but kinda beergins. Just learning about reai beer. I learned about real beer 20 plus years ago when I married my Dutch bride. Came home to California and started home brewing, because I could not afford "real" beer. Fast forward a couple of decade, not only can I afford real beer, but yahoo, there is much, much more real beer around. So, I stopped home brewing, I bought a house that had an ugly kitchen and no temperature control. Now I meet these guys, once again, real nice guys, they brew at the local brewery. BUT, this place is using the same extract for wheats, porters, Ipa's etc. Also, the hops are all pellets and they use they same yeast strain for all the beers.
    My question is this, how can I get a better beer at this place, with these guys, without coming across as a know-it-all, beer snob? I already changed the IBUs on the house IPA, but, still, I am stuck drinking average beer. My standards are Hop Stoopid, Arrogent Basard, Balast point Sculpin, etc. Kinda a hophead am I, but I can and do appreciate all world styles.
    Thanks

2. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Disciple (347) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

3. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Initiate (0) May 21, 2010 Texas

Hop stoopid... that reminds me, I need to clone that one soon, as Lagunitas provides a great clone recipe for it, and it's a damn fantastic beer that I drink regularly. It's damn cheep too, best beer value in the local grocery store if you ask me. :grinning:

Personally, if I had someone with 20 years of experience in homebrewing that I could absorb knowledge from, I would learn all I could from them. I do have a few such friends and acquaintances, BTW. Some I've met here and there, some are brewers in micro (or not so micro) breweries, and some I've met (or at least interacted with) on forums. I know as much as I do know primarily from reading and absorbing from forums, and from the discussions I've had with other brewers in person. I do make some pretty damn good beers, but I have no illusions that I don't need to learn more, far from it. If I make "damn good" beer now, I aspire to make "outstanding" beer in a year or two, "freaking marvelous" beer a few years from there, and "utterly fantastic" beer a couple years down the road from that. I figure I'll stop learning about brewing when I die, and not before.

All I can hope for is that my final beer, the batch that I couldn't quite finish drinking before I kicked the bucket, is my most fantastic batch ever. Better yet, that one batch that I couldn't quite finish brewing, the coup-de-gras of all beers forever and since, is the one that I leave behind. It's the most enigmatic and fantastic beer ever known to mankind. However... my list of ingredients is missing, but a hint of them is written in the margin of my notes, and I live in infamy forever from that point onward, with millions of future brewers trying to replicate that one last batch. Kinda like the Fermat's last theorem of beer. :rolleyes:

(back to reality...)

You have experience and expertise that apparently these guys don't. They should seek out people who are better than they are at what they do, and absorb all they can from that person. However, their motivations and what they "should" do may not be the same thing. I think you should find tactful ways to let them know they can improve their product by taking better advantage of local resources (such as a 20 year experienced homebrewer). You might have to kinda "let them think it's their idea" on some things, but if your motivation is simply to have better beer available, this might be an option to consider.

4. clearbrew

clearbrew Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2009 Louisiana

Al had some good advice. Something to remember: You say these guys are brewing at the local brewery. Homebrewing as a hobby and producing beer for a living are two very different things. I don't argue that there are some things that could be done different, but that may only be better in your eyes. Example: you say they use one strain of yeast. There are many breweries out there using the same yeast strain for most of their beers. A fast attenuating, fast clearing strain is important for product turnaround. Once a small brewery is established, they might be able to experiment with new strains and recipes. But most new or small breweries don't have that luxury.
    I'm not saying that you are wrong. I'm just pointing out that they may already agree with you. Its just that principals and good intentions don't put food in your kids mouth.

Of course on the other hand, they might be idiots.

5. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,419) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I honestly can't tell from the original post and its subject line if these guys are newbies or pros, and whether they are brewing at a brewery or at a homebrew store. Or maybe there are two sets of 'guys.'

6. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California

Troll post.

7. MLucky

MLucky Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2010 California

These guys are brewers at "the local brewery" and they use extract? And the same extract for all styles? Hmm kay.

I'd say the best course of action would be to kill them and burn that "local brewery" down. You'd be doing everyone a favor.

8. VikeMan

Beer Trader

Yes, the local brewery. You know, the local brewing shop, where the pro rookie home brewers brew average beers seasonally, much to the chagrin of hopheads. Though I hear the IBU level on the IPA is just right.

barfdiggs and OddNotion like this.
  9. clearbrew

O.K. ya got me. I don't know, so I'll ask. What is a troll post?

10. VikeMan

Beer Trader

An insincere post intended to waste people's time and/or get them stirred up for the entertainment of said Troll.

barfdiggs likes this.
  11. clearbrew

O.K. Thanks. That also explains ipas-for-life's post, which had me scratching my head as well.
    But wait, are you saying everything on the internet isn't true?

12. VikeMan

Beer Trader

I never said that. Everything is true, especially if cut and pasted from a web site.

13. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Disciple (347) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

An incoherent post by someone who just joined the same day is usually a red flag for trolls. That along with the fact that they said they learned about good beer from someone who was dutch. German or Belgian I would of believed but not dutch:grinning:. Luckily we don't get as many trolls on the homebrew pages as the rest of BA. I just feel bad for Alcaponejr I know that post took at least 15 minutes.

14. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Aspirant (292) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

I know this homebrewer guy who lives in Washington who wants to manage all of my health care decisions and I'll get fined if I don't play along. He uses extract and pellet hops and sometimes honey that his health-nut wife grows for him on the family grounds, though they're moving out in a couple of years. Should I buy his kettle?

15. VikeMan

Beer Trader

Is it stainless steel?

barfdiggs and VonZipper like this.
  16. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Defender (675) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Can you write it off your taxes?

barfdiggs likes this.
  17. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Not anymore :frowning:

18. scurvy311

scurvy311 Disciple (343) Dec 3, 2005 Louisiana

It must be...since the news has never showed any stains.

19. AlCaponeJunior

I type really fast, even when drinking quite a bit, with little deterioration in spellin' or punctuation. And yes, I was drinking at the time. When I'm in an advanced state of beer saturation, I don't even look at poster's details, and often not even their names, unless I recognize their avatar. So no need to feel bad for me. I can easily spew forth that much bullshit in under five minutes, even with seven or eight empties waiting to go to the recycle bin. You see, I've been infected with the xkcd386 virus for quite a while, pushing two decades now. There's no cure, and yes, it's contagious. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

ipas-for-life likes this.
  20. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,003) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I'm on the troll bandwagon, and would also like to interject my disdain for people who look down their noses at extract brewers. I have won, and so have thousands of other brewers, gold medals with extract recipes. If you have a problem with it, go brew somewhere else.

ipas-for-life likes this.
  21. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Defender (675) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Is that any way to treat a newbie? He'll learn. : )

22. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California

In no way do I or have I ever looked down upon homebrewer's who use malt extract, however, I would really look down my nose at a commercial brewer who uses solely malt extract.

Shit, I'm actually brewing extract berliners and a sour next weekend alongside some all grain XPA and Mild.

23. AlCaponeJunior

I'm still making side-batches of extract. Really my original "kitchen sink IPA" (that turned out in reality to be a willamette/cascade IPA that was just fantastic) remains one of my top batches ever. I literally just weighed them (just to know, not that I was going to use more or less as a result), then dumped in the remains of several bags of hops into an IPA (most of it late), without really thinking it through very carefully. That one could have at least taken a bronze. :grinning:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.