Ten Feet from Me and It Got Away!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ontherocks, Dec 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ontherocks

ontherocks Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2008 Georgia

A four-pack of Backwoods Bastard, that is.

I had stopped at a slightly out-of-the-way store in NE suburban Atlanta to see what they had. On the back shelves was one four-pack of BB. I have had it before and I even have a 2009 or 2010 bottle in my cellar.

They were having a free wine tasting, so I thought it would be safe to check out the rest of the beer aisle. I walked about ten feet, didn't see anything "Earth shaking" and when I turned around, a HEATHEN had picked up the four-pack. Gnarrgh!

I watched him out of the corner of my eye for a couple of minutes to see if he might change his mind, but he held tight to the handle. If I had never had it before, I would have grabbed it when I saw it or asked the buyer if he would sell one bottle, but I decided to not make an issue of it. I snoozed, I losed.

Maybe that $11.99 is destined to be spent on something else special. :flushed:

2. nickapalooza86

nickapalooza86 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2010 Wisconsin
    Deactivated

That sucks, whenever I spot something somewhat limited I carry it around with me while I shop, perhaps you should adopt the same policy:slight_smile:

3. ontherocks

I will next time. As I said, I thought the free wine would keep everyone else busy. :wink:

4. jrnyc

jrnyc Pooh-Bah (2,988) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

A bird in hand is better than two in the bush!

5. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (9,502) Apr 18, 2007 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

always pick it up in hand you can return to shelf if you decide but you may never get it back later

Bitterbill and DelMontiac like this.
  6. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Ok here's how you do -

pan and scan - use your eyes and don't waste time looking at each bottle for dates until you have them in your cart.

Then - elbows out a little so that you take up the entire aisle and no one can pass you. Turn the cart sideways in aisle also works. Always be ready to say "excuse me" even if you don't mean it. Fumble to cause distractions if necessary.

If you see someone sneaking up or closing in get a bead on them and cross check like in hockey!

I learned these techniques fighting off old ladies at white sales. :grinning: You get 'em next time!

kbuzz, mverity, BKnarr and 12 others like this.
  7. sisterthelonious

sisterthelonious Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2013 Wisconsin

Eh, BB is ok, but there are plenty of better 4-and-6 packs for the same price. Now if it had been a 4-pack of KBS or even Harvest Ale, then I could see getting upset...

8. John21

John21 Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2013 Florida

Likes are all subjective me personally think it's a great beer sucks you lost out on it. I bought a case of it the min I entered the store and then began my looks to see what other gems I could find. But like the others said next time apply the kung fu grip to that baby lol.

Spikester and ontherocks like this.
  9. Immortale25

Immortale25 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,549) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This one time I went to a free wine tasting at a store Northeast of Atlanta because I love wine and think it's far superior to beer since I'm extremely sophisticated. Well, none of the wines were doing it for me that night, so I thought, "Why not lower my standards for once and try one of these new craft beers that are becoming so popular?" I saw this one beer and thought "I gotta buy this; it has 'bastard' in the name!" I thought it was pretty expensive at $11.99 for not even a whole six pack but that made me think it might be great because the more expensive a bottle of wine is, the better it is. As I was checking out, I thought I noticed a guy oddly looking at me like he wanted to talk to me or something. I thought nothing of it, brought the beer home, drank the first bottle and hated it. It had flavors and tannins inferior to that of a nice Sangiovese or Bordeaux. I looked it up online and found out that it's actually the brewery's Scotch Ale, Dirty Bastard, that was aged in bourbon barrels. No wonder this craft beer thing is so popular. They're adding liquor to the beers and then aging it in bourbon barrels! Sounds like an alcoholic's drink to me. I poured the rest of the beers down the drain and swore to never drink beer again. What a ripoff.

10. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

Not if you're one who prefers scotch ales to stouts, and BA scotch ales to BA stouts :rolling_eyes: And what "better" BA scotch ales could he find for that price?
    :slight_frown: I'm sorry OP

11. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2009 New York

I want to shop in your area, if you're getting 4-packs of KBS for the same price as Backwoods.

To your point, it's obviously subjective. Had this year's Backwoods, and it was so much better than I remembered. The oakiness and bourbon character are outstanding. Sorry to the OP - totally feel you on this one. This is why you have to find the great white whale - the out-of-the-way beer shop with outstanding selection and rapid turnover.

12. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

There is always next year. :slight_smile:

StLeasy likes this.
  13. jdaddy

jdaddy Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2010 Pennsylvania

This is a pretty amazing story.

Jake_Ramrod likes this.
  14. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

I feel your pain. Four Prairie Pirate Bombs escaped me a few weeks ago. I entered an unfamiliar store simultaneously with one of its regulars who knew exactly where to go as I panned a long line of shelves. I felt like a 15 year old boy that finally made his way inside the local strip club only to find out it was closing time.

Fortunately, I found some at my last stop and bought all they had. I felt like a VIP at an upscale gentlemen's club.

TongoRad and John21 like this.
  15. ontherocks

:stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue: Good one, 'cept I didn't see you pick up any Dirty Bastard while you were there, HEATHEN! :wink:

16. Hoptimus-Prime

Hoptimus-Prime Pundit (910) Dec 7, 2012 North Carolina
    Trader

I feel your pain man, I showed up at a local shop that posted that they had BB on they're FB page, an hour later I showed up, just to see almost a case of 4 packs behind the counter with post-its on them....dammit man!

Other side of that, of I walk in the store and see BB, I'm getting it. I would've grabbed it at first sight!

17. Scalawags

Scalawags Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2013 Michigan

I was that guy today on a store's last bottle of Sweet Repute. Not entirely sure that I wanted to drop another $20 on a second bottle, I picked it up and started browsing the rest of their selection. After not finding anything else I started towards the register. On my way I passed a guy sadly looking at the empty spot on the shelf. Simultaneously felt like a hoarder (its only my 2nd bottle) and reassured in my purchase.

18. Mikecap

Mikecap Pooh-Bah (2,062) May 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Key word: Wine, were it craft beer, you would have that backwoods! This said, I always grab what "I THINK I might buy." You can always put it back, right?

ontherocks likes this.
  19. SteelSaw

SteelSaw Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2013 Indiana

I suppose now I am glad I dont have to fight for either. Sorry to here about the miss.

20. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,081) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Like you said man, you snooze. YOU LOSE.
    My question is: What else did you buy to drown your sorrow?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.