Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Tennessee Beer Scene

Discussion in 'South' started by braggheim, Aug 24, 2013.

1. braggheim

Beer Trader

Hey all,

I am from Northern Indiana and will be traveling to Norris Lake over Labor Day. I'm looking for suggestions on beer I can buy down there that I can't get my hands on in my area. Any suggestions?

2. TNGabe

Stop in Kentucky and buy beer. Tn has highest beer taxes in the US and screwy ABV laws that really limit why gets distribution here.

AlexFields likes this.
  3. jbrana

Beer Trader

This isn't entirely accurate, and most of what is available in Kentucky is available in Indiana...

OP, I'm from Middle Tennessee, so I can't really comment on stores in East Tennessee, but something you need to know about Tennessee is that all beer that is 6.3% ABV and up must be sold in liquor store. Liquor stores in Tennessee are never open on Sundays and are rarely open on holidays. However you can buy 6.2% and below on Sundays after noon (or on holidays) from grocery stores, corner stores, gas stations, etc. Lastly, if you're looking for something interesting that isn't distributed to Indiana, I recommend Terrapin, Red Brick (their Brick Mason Series is quite good), Straight To Ale, Good People, and Lagunitas. If you're looking for Tennessee brewed beers, I recommend Yazoo, Blackstone, and Calfkiller (tap only). Jackalope Brewing (tap only) has a couple decent beers called Bearwalker and Rompo Red as well.

Hope that helps.

4. harperman69

Beer Trader

I would imagine that the beer scene in Norris Lake is garbage. I hope you're going through Nashville.

5. braggheim

Beer Trader

Thanks for the advice guys... I don't know our exact travel plans, but I plan to break away when possible to explore the beers of the region. I consider myself lucky to be in a good area for beer, but I also like to see what other states have to offer. Hopefully I can chug down a pint or two that you have recommended.

6. beerfoodlodging

Norris is going to be tough. There are a lot of dry or semi-dry towns and counties around there, I think. The best you'll find in a convenience store will probably be Fat Tire or Brooklyn something.

You won't be that far from Knoxville, though, and there are a couple of good places there. The Casual Pint and Bearden Beer Market both offer good selections. I believe both offer growler fills, as well (haven't been to The Casual Pint yet). You can also try Earthfare or The Fresh Market for good grocery store beer selections.

Local and regional breweries include Sawworks and Smoky Mountain Brewery (Knoxville area); Yazoo, Jackalope, Blackstone, Turtle Anarchy, Calfkiller (Nashville area); and Highland, Duck Rabbit, French Broad (NC). I'm not sure if you get any of those in Indiana. I don't think the Alabama breweries are in Knoxville yet, but Good People and Straight to Ale are definitely worth trying if they are.

7. CurtisMcArthur

Norris is a beer wasteland. Lexington (Liquor Barn) and Northern KY (Party Source) are your best best bets. If you make it to Knoxville, check out McSrooge's

AlexFields likes this.
  8. Atreides

I'm currently located in Nashville and I know it is probably a little late. I thought I'd add that the relatively new Mayday Brewery in Murfreesboro has my favorite lineup of the Middle Tennessee breweries, but they are tap only.

ImperatorScab likes this.
  9. TonyJ815

Beer Trader

Check out some Hop Project from Yazoo. Always different and always enjoyable IMO.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  10. KentT

Around Norris, Knoxville is your best bet. Remember the schizo laws and high beer taxation. Above 6.1 ABV, it must be sold at a liquor store. And none open on Sundays. That said McScrooges is great for the high ABV. Bearden Beer Market and the Casual Pint handle a great selection of what is under 6.1 ABV. beerfoodlodging's advice for local beer is what I would give you. Enjoy! Hope we meet in person.

11. jbrana

Beer Trader

Just for clarification, any alcohol above 6.3 ABV / 5.0 ABW (not 6.1 abv) must be sold in a liquor store, where as anything alcohol (except wine) below 6.3 ABV / 5.0 ABW may not be sold at a liquor store and must be sold at grocery stores, gas stations, corner stores, etc. More reading here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States Here: http://beerpulse.com/2011/05/ten-qu...-tier-system-wonky-tn-liquor-law-and-sb-1224/ And of course, here: http://www.tn.gov/attorneygeneral/op/2010/op/op10-92.pdf

12. KentT

So, 6.3 ABV. Thanks for clarification.

13. braggheim

Beer Trader

Thanks for all the collective feedback guys. The Tennessee trip was awesome. We never really made it off the lake long enough to search out any of the brewery hot spots, but I did enjoy some good beer. It's not a Tennessee beer, but they had Lagunitas IPA on tap at the resort. I brought down some Founder's and Three Floyds beer to be sure I wasn't starved for good drinks while I was down there. I will definitely be coming back down soon though. It was easily the best trip I've had in years.

ImperatorScab likes this.
  14. Volntitan

Lagunitas IPA on tap is a win imo. What resort?

15. Infinite1

Beer Trader

Heading to Nashville in November... So any bar worth going to on Broadway ?

16. beerfoodlodging

For good beer, or in general? There has been some very slow improvement in beer quality in the last year or so. Robert's Western World has some decent craft beer available and is probably your best bet for an authentic honky tonk experience.

The Flying Saucer is also on Broadway, but is at 10th Ave., a bit of a walk from lower Broad. Plenty to choose from there.

Infinite1 likes this.
  17. TheGordianKnot

Haven't been to Roberts in a couple years, but Broadway Brewhouse was my go to on Broadway. Pub5 is a nice gastropub place basically on Broadway (across from Bridgestone) with a small but quality selection. A small walk away is Flying Saucer or Beer Sellar

Infinite1 likes this.
  18. Infinite1

Beer Trader

Thanks all

19. jbrana

Beer Trader

These are great recommendations, and the only thing I would add is Beer Seller. It's a couple blocks north of Broadway and has a pretty decent beer selection.

Infinite1 likes this.
  20. Jkoeneman

Get to 12 South Taproom. Not too far out of downtown and great selection.

21. AlexFields

Beer Trader

I second recommendation for Straight to Ale. Also Schlafly, Terrapin.

Best place to drink beer in Knoxville is at my house or Photekut's house. ;)

Photekut likes this.
  22. swooshjtb

I would go to the Broadway Brewhouse nearer to Vanderbilt (still on Broadway). In my opinion, it has a much better selection than the downtown location. Plus, it has an open air bar that should be quite nice in November.

beerfoodlodging and Infinite1 like this.
  23. Socalfan21

Beer Trader

I'll be in town with my pops for the 49ers/ Titans game this weekend (yes yes I am a 49ers fan I apologize). Where are the best places to go before the game (seeing as it doesn't start until 3pm)?

Side question: Is that Yazoo Sue a year round beer? Is it easily accessible? Do they have it at the brewery?

Thanks guys.

EDIT: I might as well as here also. I know this is a beer forum but how about the best BBQ places in Nashville regardless of the hype. How about some hidden gems?

24. Volntitan

You can't get Sue at the brewery. You need to go liquor store for that. I would look at Midtown or Frugal's, with Midtown being the best.

If you are looking for walking distance from the stadium, you can go across the river into downtown. The Beer Sellar probably is your closest and best bet, although I'm not a big fan. Then Brewhouse downtown. A little farther down broadway (past the arena) is Flying Saucer. On the stadium side, you could go into East Nashville and check out 3 crow bar, which is pretty good.

And oh yeah....GO TITANS!

25. creepinjeeper

Subscriber Beer Trader

Going the week of Halloween . . . I thought Yazoo sold cases of their brews? Planning on picking up Sue and their Hop Experiment. By the way, thanks for all of the great info on this thread!

26. Volntitan

They do sell cases at the brewery, but not Sue because it is a high gravity beer. Silly law. But should be able to get some sue at the better bottle shops.

27. beerfoodlodging

Peg Leg Porker is near Yazoo and Jackalope (a short cab ride or maybe a long walk from downtown) and has very good ribs. I really enjoy Edley's, which has two locations in 12 South and East Nashville (East would be closer to the stadium). Both have decent local taps, but Edley's is superior. Edley's East still had Yazoo's anniversary IPA on, and it is the best beer Yazoo has produced.

I think Yazoo's Hop Project is not worth picking up, but YMMV. I would pick up Blackstone's Adam Bomb, which is high gravity, over Hop Project. And I would strongly recommend Straight to Ale's high gravity offerings, if you're going to a liquor store to get Sue and/or Adam Bomb.

harperman69 and creepinjeeper like this.
  28. rundownhouse

It's becoming less "hidden," but Peg Leg really is fantastic.

Agree Adam Bomb is good - probably the best thing Blackstone brews - but saying Hop Project, which is different every time and has had ~75 different versions, isn't worth getting seems odd unless you just think it's got too much crystal character or something (which I could see).

29. beerfoodlodging

I really don't like Hop Project at all. It might be the crystal character; I haven't had a version I thought was worth buying. I actually dislike most of the beers Yazoo bottles, in part because their bottling is so inconsistent, and I've mostly stopped buying their bottles as a result. If Hop Project were on tap, I wouldn't discourage trying it, but I think Blackstone's bottling is far more consistent.

30. harperman69

Beer Trader

The problem with Hop Project is that it's never easy knowing which version you're getting. 73 was ok, but 74 was awful IMO and is probably still on a lot of taps.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe