Texas Beer-Related Legislation Watch

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by WTKeene, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aschwab

aschwab Zealot (501) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

Small ones do not. Big ones do like Specs. But, it really should not come down to if stores want it or not.

corbmoster and elchicodelgado like this.
  2. txjustin

txjustin Initiate (82) May 29, 2013 Texas

No offense, but who cares if the store chooses if it will be open or not on Sunday? The point is .gov should have no business in meddling when a store can or cannot be open.

3. Collmorgen

Collmorgen Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2015 Texas

Just phoned my representative.

4. elchicodelgado

elchicodelgado Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Texas

Exactly. I don't think they do want to be open on Sunday, so long as everyone else is closed as well. If their competitors were all open Sunday then I'm sure they couldn't afford to close.

There could be an argument that they compete with grocery stores that can sell beer on Sunday (after 12…) so they are losing business but I don't think they generally feel they are losing much.

5. nathanmiller

nathanmiller Meyvn (1,187) Oct 7, 2009 New York

I agree with what you're saying here but I have to ask why you keep saying ".gov" - generally the period follows an abbreviation, not the other way around.

6. JimmyTheDook

JimmyTheDook Initiate (39) Oct 27, 2011 Texas

This scenario is what I prefer. Where the market sets the time when alcohol can be purchased. If a store isn't open I could either schedule around when it is open or go to another store.

My own personal time of day when I would like to purchase beer is Sunday morning when few are at the grocery store with good beer selection (for a grocery store) which is across the street from a liquor store with great beer selection.

7. ElChuques

ElChuques Initiate (92) Oct 8, 2014 Arkansas

That's the domain for a government email.

oppressive.moderator@BA.gov

TexasStout and WTKeene like this.
  8. txjustin

^^nailed it

ElChuques likes this.
  9. nathanmiller

Sorry, I should more clearly indicate sarcasm. I know that it's not a backwards abbreviation. It was more of a question of why on earth would you speak that way? Does this bleed into other areas of your life?

".gov needs to stay out of .com affairs! It's bad enough that they regulate .edu. And it's so frustrating that .uk and .au spent resources so much time helping .mil fight in .af and .iq. But if .aero weren't charging so much these days, even with falling prices from .energy, I'd spend more money on .travel and less on .xxx and at .pub."

I hope that's an accurate depiction.

And since I started this by saying "Sorry, I should more clearly indicate sarcasm," I should note that this was indeed sarcasm.

10. Beernerds

Beernerds Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2011 Texas

11. txjustin

It has to do with my feeling of the government as a whole.

I Just tend to use the .gov abbreviation often. For the rest, TLDR.

CaptainPiret likes this.
  12. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Initiate (187) Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Heard from a friend who talked to her office. They said it was a placeholder to remind the beer industry of the ~40,000 barrel requirement for self-distro. Sounds like a crock of shit.

13. Nick4444

Nick4444 Initiate (199) Oct 27, 2013 Texas

RE: SB 719: Sen. Konni Burton

Go Konni!:slight_smile:

WTKeene likes this.
  14. WTKeene

WTKeene Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2013 New Mexico

SB 1386 is going to be open to public testimony in committee on Tuesday, there's a process by which anyone who wants to can testify on the bill (will post more info on how to do this when I figure it out), and it is also possible to live stream the testimony if you're interested in watching it. I'll post the link on Tuesday once it's up.

15. tx_beer_man

Trader

16. Austinbeerworks

Austinbeerworks Initiate (98) Oct 23, 2010 Texas

We'll be there tomorrow to testify in favor of the bill. If you want to support (or oppose) the bill but don't want to testify, there's a sign in card that allows you to do just that. All you have to do is write your name and stance on the bill. They will read it aloud and put it into record. In fact, that's typically the best course of action unless you have a very specific reason for testifying.

17. saint0r

saint0r Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2013 Texas

18. WTKeene

Thank you @Austinbeerworks, I was looking for info like that but hadnt gotten around to posting it yet.

For those unable to attend, you can watch remotely on the senate livestream website, here:

Http://www.senate.state.tx.us/bin/live.php

Tomorrow morning at 8am that site will have a link to the Business and Commerce Committee hearing. They won't necessarily start with this bill but I'll be sure to post when they start.

tx_beer_man likes this.
  19. Austinbeerworks

Austinbeerworks Initiate (98) Oct 23, 2010 Texas

Tomorrow's hearing of SB 1386 has been cancelled and a new hearing date has not yet been scheduled. We'll keep y'all posted.

tx_beer_man and Heretic42 like this.
  20. aschwab

Of course it was....

Westyn and tx_beer_man like this.
  21. WTKeene

It's the committee chair's bill, he'll get it heard. Also saw that it's house counterpart has been referred to the House Licensing committee, on which Senfronia Thompson sits. Might run into trouble there.

22. greg__h

greg__h Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2014 Texas

So I'm kinda ignorant of the how exactly the TX legislature works... If the Senate bill makes it out of committee and actually manages to pass the Senate, does that bill then get referred to the House or does the House have to pass their own after it goes through committee?

23. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2011 Texas

Are there any costs other than labor that it would really increase?

I always feel like an alcoholic when I walk up to the unlit beer section of HEB on Sunday mornings because I forgot. Or when those assholes forget to turn off the lights for the beer section and I start walking towards the register with beer...

blastoderm55 likes this.
  24. nathanmiller

Hey y'all -

So as @Austinbeerworks stated above, the hearing has been postponed. Open The Taps just sent out this update in response to this: http://openthetaps.org/call-to-action-for-sb1386-update-off-premise-brewery-sales/

PLEASE PLEASE call your senators, especially Senator Eltife and express your concern. I called Senator Whitmire, who happens to be my Senator, and his staff was very helpful. It takes literally five minutes of your time, and all you have to do is politely support the bill and ask that they pass on your support (leave a name and number) and that you really want to see this bill passed for the good of Texas. Etc. Etc.

Beernerds and tx_beer_man like this.
  25. tx_beer_man

Trader

Nathan's on point. I sent an email out to all the committee members and will call my senators' when I get a chance. Two have already been back to me. Senator Whitmire's office was very helpful, I spoke to Doug Clements...

Doug said he has provided positive analysis and his support to Sen. Whitmire and cannot say whether Whitmire will support. He relayed that the principle argument in favor of this bill is that wineries and distilleries already have this ability but breweries do not. Of course, there are competing interests and distributors carry a lot of weight in the legislature.

Its Eltife's bill and Eltife's committee. Eltife may have pulled the bill because of the trouble it caused and that it may not move forward, but because Eltife was a proponent of craft breweries in the last session, this one may come back up to hearing and out of committee. It needs people like us to call Eltife's in an educated, respectful manner to voice our support of the bill and would like to see it heard.

The committee meets every tuesday and they decide which bills will be heard late in the week. So sooner than later, call Eltife's office: 512-463-0101

Beernerds and nathanmiller like this.
  26. WTKeene

From what I've heard, the bill may have been delayed because a compromise is being worked on with the forces against it. That is a common reason for why a bill may be delayed, but by no means the only reason. We should know more by the end of the week, when theoretically the schedule for the next weeks hearing will be posted. I would guess the bill be there then.

Beernerds and tx_beer_man like this.
  27. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Poo-Bah (2,698) Jun 14, 2012 Texas
    Society

I watched this last night, something that 512 posted on their FB page: http://www.myfoxaustin.com/clip/11344538/microbrewery-bill

I contacted my senator and representative and voiced my concern and opposition to this bill. I urge you to contact your representatives and senators and let them know where you stand.

28. nathanmiller

Please don't.

Senator Thompson has already indicated she would not go forward with this bill. The fact that this is still hitting news cycles is ridiculous. Continuing to harass her and others about it is harming our cause.

tx_beer_man and WTKeene like this.
  29. TX-Badger

Society

I disagree. And I think her use of the bill as a way to 'remind' craft brewers about how far last year got is ridiculous.

But wait, I come from a state where there are not archaic prohibitive laws on the books.

Krumb likes this.
  30. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

You also come from a state that just lost the National Championship.:flushed:...too soon?

31. WTKeene

So I work in Government and deal with this sort of thing all the time. Continuing to bother her will get us on her bad side and as she's very powerful and famously vindictive, it's best not to prod her too hard. We want her to stop pursuing that bill, we don't want her to torpedo all other efforts that may get past her desk. And she certainly could if she wanted to.

#71 WTKeene, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    tx_beer_man and donspublic like this.
  32. WTKeene

Seriously I posted about this bill in the private Facebook Texas Beer group and I was informed by my colleagues that if she found out, doing so may cause her to kill everything our firm cares about that crosses her powerful desk. Don't cause her trouble after she's already caved to our demands.

33. TX-Badger

Society

Just for the record, I contacted MY representative and senator, not her. I don't know where along the line that got diluted into people thinking I contacted her, but my post above clearly states I contacted my local rep and sen.

I still think it was a classless move by her in the first place. What a sellout.

jamescain and starkmarvelo like this.
  34. TX-Badger

Society

Nah, take your jabs. Couldn't hurt anymore than it did last night. We made it to the last dance, a lot more than 62 other teams can say.

mwbbq, tx_beer_man and starkmarvelo like this.
  35. starkmarvelo

You left the door open, I had to walk through it ;-) I don't know a thing about the game other than some alleged bad calls.

TX-Badger likes this.
  36. starkmarvelo

Oh great. Political strategy is entering craft beer at the lowest level. Where's the exit?

37. WTKeene

I'm taking a wild guess at your representatives, but Huffines didn't need any prodding to support getting rid of the three tier system in one fell swoop, and Sheets is friendly already too. Always helps a bit though to get some constituent input though.

38. TX-Badger

Society

Actually, it's Johnson and West given where I live. Glad to hear Huffines is supporting getting rid of it, same with Sheets. Unfortunately, they're not in my district.

39. TX-Badger

Society

I would've too, well played.

starkmarvelo likes this.
  40. aschwab

You know what I find pathetic? She gets a lot of calls/emails against her bill. Her response? Try to screw over what everyone is calling and complaining about.

Instead of actually listening to what the people who care about these things want, she listens to where her money is from.

She is an elected official. How does that seem elected to anyone? She isn't serving the people. She is serving her own self interest based on her money.

That is what is wrong with politics.

And I am done with politically related posts now.

corbmoster, jamescain, mwbbq and 12 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.