Texas Brewvolution Beer Fest - DFW 11/9

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by mattisloco, Oct 28, 2013.

1. mattisloco

mattisloco Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

So I haven't heard people talking here about Brewvolution. I'm curious who all is going? Brewvolution is headed up by "one of our own" Chad Montgomery (thirdeye11), who happens to also put on my favorite beer fest, Big Texas Beer Fest. This fest will be more intimate though, roughly half the size of BTBF.

DFW’s first Texas-based craft beer festival to kick off North Texas Beer Week!

Texas Brewvolution will feature the largest collection of Texas craft brewers in one place at one time, in North Texas. We will have 25+ Texas-based breweries participating along with a handful of world-class brewers. The festival will shine the light on the best of Texas with special emphasis given to those beers born and brewed in our massive backyard.

I probably will not be able to attend, you will enjoy yourself a lot more without my patented... in your face fart humor? Though I may try to swing by a bit later in the afternoon, so to avoid my mug you may want to go VIP. A birdie told me Jester King is bringing something pretty nice

Here is a link to the BA Event Calendar TEXAS BREWVOLUTION kicking off North Texas Beer Week!, do those guys a solid sign up if you're going. Links to their website can be found there also, FAQ gives this a time of 2 to 6pm, VIP an hour earlier.

Drink up,
    -Matt

jsboots21 and ATA1K like this.
  2. Canti4341

Canti4341 Sep 27, 2013 Texas

A beer fest on my birthday - well happy bday to me! I'll be there.

jsboots21, thirdeye11 and mattisloco like this.
  3. elbrooksie

elbrooksie Jan 10, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

4. j_money

j_money May 18, 2013 Texas

Yes sirrr! I'll be there...I just purchased my VIP ticket this morning. I can't wait for the Pre-Party at the Craft and Growler!
    I was waiting on some of my friends to confirm they could go...but I went ahead and pulled the trigger and I'll be alone....I'm sure after a few beers I'll meet some interesting people.
    I'm just disappointed that I'll be missing DEBC's 2nd anniversary or Rahr's 9th...but they won't be able to compare...

5. Indytruks138

Indytruks138 Jun 28, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

The wife and I will be there, not going VIP, but excited still, hopefully that JK special beer lasts, I will never have enough of it.

6. morsetx

morsetx Mar 10, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Beer list ?

7. Indytruks138

Beer Trader

Said to be released next week.

8. morsetx

Beer Trader

Seems late :(

9. jsboots21

jsboots21 Jan 19, 2009 Tennessee

They've already noted that Atrial Rubicite will be pouring for what that's worth.

10. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Feb 3, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

I have 95% of the beer list, but we agonize over getting this from the brewers. We have already had changes as late as today, and I hate to publish anything that is incomplete, incorrect, or otherwise. Also, we often times have to ask for the best beers, multiple times. I'm sure that most festival organizers would take the list they are given, not realize what they have, and never know to ask for more. We continually push the envelope as much as possible, because we're beer nerds ourselves.

GABF is the gold standard of beer festivals and they publish their list 2 days before the festival opens. Why do you feel it is late? We're 8 days out and I should have it released on Monday or Tuesday, I promise! :)

This is my 3rd festival to produce, and it is the earliest we will have ever completed a beer list. Please believe me that it's exceptionally tough to put together a list of beers from 40 brewers, let alone 90+ from our big event in April.

Thanks for creating the thread @mattisloco. Hope to see a bunch of BAs at the event!

Cheers,
    Chad

#10 thirdeye11, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
    JJFoodie likes this.
  11. morsetx

Beer Trader

thirdeye11,
    1. thank you for responding - i think that is awesome.
    2. i am planning to go to dallas nov. 9th and have not purchased a ticket .... yet, because i am waiting on the beer list. there are other venues at the same time.
    3. long (and complicated ) beer list for the up coming nov. 16th houston event was out oct.18th. i recall similar lead times for austin, ft. worth and dallas festivals this past year.
    4. i don't think anybody here expects the beer list to be 100% accurate - **it happens.
    5. putting together a large event is a tremendous effort on your part and i appreciate it.

if the list is good i will plan on getting a vip ticket and again thanks for your reply.

Cheers,
    morse

12. thirdeye11

Beer Trader

Yes, there are 2 other great events going on at the same time. We hate to compete with anyone, but knew the day would come. Perhaps our list will be the best and you'll join us. Perhaps it won't though. I know our event will not always be everyone's first choice and that is ok. We do the absolute best we can to attract the best crowd possible. Usually we do a damn good job!

The beer list is awesome and I think any BA or beer person in general will love it. Will publish it early next week, and it will be closer to 98% accurate :) I try to look at festivals from the outside in, and I'd go to this event. Cheers!

JJFoodie likes this.
  13. aschwab

aschwab Mar 3, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

I think I decided today to go up from Austin and stay the night in DFW for this. Seeing how I have not had half of the DFW brews, this will be a good event I think. I am just trying to justify pulling the trigger and getting a ticket and a hotel room. I also really wanted to hit up some breweries, but this sorta takes it out.

Out of curiosity, how many tickets are available/sold for this? What sort of lines are you expecting for beer? The reason I ask is that I have been to many festivals in TX just to be disappointed (but have heard good things about yours).

14. thirdeye11

Beer Trader

Hey bud, we try to do it right and we plan it based on total attendees and how many will be at each booth in a line at any given time. Maximizing guest experience is what we're all about. We plan events as if we were an attendee and hope to execute events the same way we'd want them done for us. I'm a tough customer personally (or so I've been told) so I expect the best, and try to deliver that to everyone.

A few booths will have longer lines, but these are the usual suspects. Not much we can do about that. We also really don't know how many will show up at this time. We think 2,000-3,000. DFW is a very last minute town and this festival is proving to be the worst one we've experienced in that regard.

We will not sell more than 3,000 tickets in total for this event, and we have about 100,000 sq ft. You'll definitely never feel crowded I can promise you that.

Does that help answer most of your questions? If I left something out, feel free to quote me back.

Cheers,
    Chad

cfh64 likes this.
  15. aschwab

Beer Trader

Thanks for that....you may have sold me.

And on a completely unrelated note, I cannot find a damn answer for this on any Dallas website at all.

What are the hours of street parking in downtown dallas? I am thinking of a hotel on the DART and want to be able to have street parking (so I dont pay 20 bucks for hotel parking). Is it free parking on weekends? Or do they charge everyday?

thirdeye11 likes this.
  16. thirdeye11

Beer Trader

Really Depends on the area of downtown. Lots of hotels on the dart that are just outside of downtown though with free parking.

17. thirdeye11

Beer Trader

In case you, or anyone else needs it, here is a list of hotels on the DART rail.

http://www.dart.org/travelagent/darttravelagent.asp?zeon=travelagenthotels

Cheers,
    Chad

18. Indytruks138

Beer Trader

Beer list tomorrow Chad?

thirdeye11 likes this.
  19. thirdeye11

Beer Trader

Yes indeed. I have the beer list, and you shall have it tomorrow! :)

JJFoodie likes this.
  20. air

air Mar 28, 2007 Texas

You will have to pay for parking downtown during the day. In that case, I would park at Mockingbird Station and then take the train into town.

jsboots21 and thirdeye11 like this.
  21. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Jul 26, 2012 Arizona
    Subscriber Beer Trader

22. air

air Mar 28, 2007 Texas

Oh and re: street parking, meters are free downtown after 7 PM.

aschwab and jsboots21 like this.
  23. ATA1K

ATA1K Feb 4, 2013 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Any ETA on the list? Been refreshing the brewvolution site all day!

24. thirdeye11

Beer Trader

Haha sorry man. My day job blew up in my face today. I hope to have it out tomorrow morning. If you're on our email list, you will get it!!

JJFoodie likes this.
  25. aschwab

Beer Trader

Any chance you could post it here for those of us who do not live in DFW and are hoping to go?

26. thirdeye11

Beer Trader

Happy to accommodate. Here is the list. This is the first place I've posted it anywhere. Please note: due to an issue beyond our control, we will not be able to pour/serve Atrial Rubicite from Jester King. (because I kept the keg for my house.... not really, I wish. But we won't have it though)

Texas Brewvolution 2013 – Final Beer List

(all beers on this are subject to change, and many are very limited – some availability issues are beyond our control)

(903) Brewers
    Breezy Blonde
    Hoppy Roos
    Coconut Ale
    General Sherman’s Brown

Adelbert's
    Triple B
    Gypsy IPA
    Flyin’ Monk
    Philosophizer

Argus Cidery
    Idalou Brut

Armadillo
    Quakertown Stout
    Greenbelt Farmhouse

Avery
    Hog Heaven
    Salvation
    Reverend
    White Rascal

Ballast Point
    Tongue Buckler
    Dorado
    Sculpin
    Yellow Tail

Boulevard
    Bourbon Barrel Quad
    Reboot White IPA
    Wheat
    80 Acre

Bridgeport
    Ebenezer
    Hop Harvest

Brooklyn
    Cuvee La Boite
    Blast!
    Black Chocolate Stout

Cedar Creek
    Lawn Ranger
    Scruffy’s Smoked Alt
    Elliot’s Pale

Community Beer Company
    Vienna Lager
    Trinity Tripel
    Mosaic IPA
    Witbier

Dogfish Head
    Olde School Barley Wine
    Bitches Brew
    90 Minute IPA
    Midas Touch

Firestone Walker
    Wookey Jack
    Pivo Pils
    Union Jack
    Velvet Merlin

FireWheel
    Cool Beans Coffee Porter
    Texas Pale Ale

Four Corners
    El Chingon
    Block Party Porter
    La Bajada

Franconia
    Smoked Wheat
    Oak Aged Fall’n Bock
    Dunkel
    Amber

Jester King
    El Cedro
    Mad Meg
    Le Petit Prince
    Wytchmaker

Karbach
    Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter
    Mother in Lager
    Hopadillo IPA

Lakewood
    Goatman
    French Quarter Temptress
    Red Wine Barrel-Aged Till & Toil
    Lion’s Share #1
    Punkel

Leprechaun Cider
    Pomegranate
    Golden
    Dry

Martin House
    Imperial Texan
    Daybreak
    Pretzel Stout
    New Belgium
    Cigar City Lips of Faith - Ale Brewed w/ Anaheim & Marash Chilies
    Coconut Curry Hefeweizen
    Yuzu Berlinerweisse
    Accumulation

No Label
    Barrel Aged Elda M. Stout
    1st Street Blonde
    El Hefe

Ommegang/La Chouffe/Liefman’s
    Ommegang Scythe and Sickle Harvest Ale
    La Chouffe
    Liefman’s Cuvee Brut
    Oskar Blues
    Ten Fidy
    Dale’s Pale Ale
    Old Chub

Pedernales
    Lobo Lito
    Lobo Negro
    Hefeweizen
    Spiced Porter

Peticolas
    Velvet Hammer
    Wintervention
    The Duke
    Golden Opportunity

Prairie
    Bomb!
    Standard
    Somewhere

Rahr & Sons
    Winter Warmer
    Stormcloud
    Angry Goat
    Texas Red

Ranger Creek
    Southtown IPA
    Oatmeal Pale Ale (OPA)
    Mesquite Smoked Porter (MSP)
    Real Ale
    2011 Vintage – Sisyphus Barley Wine
    The Sword Iron Swan
    Four Squared
    Mysterium Verum Empire
    Coffee Porter
    Devil’s Backbone

Revolver
    Mullet Cutter
    Sidewinder
    Blood & Honey
    Bock

Rogness
    Boomslang
    Holiday
    Ost Porter
    Vinton

Saint Arnold
    Divine Reserve 12
    Christmas Ale
    Santo
    Icon Red
    Bishop’s Barrel 3

Sam Adams
    Fat Jack
    Hazel Brown
    White Christmas
    Rebel IPA
    Shiner
    Cheer
    White Wing

Sierra Nevada
    Hoptimum (cask)
    2012 Vintage – Bigfoot Barley Wine
    Narwhal
    Pale Ale
    Torpedo

Sixpoint
    Spice of Life Ahtanum
    Sweet Action
    Resin

Southern Star
    Pro Am
    Bombshell Blonde
    Le Mort Vivant

Southern Tier
    2XMAS
    Krampus
    2X IPA
    Unearthly

Uinta
    Detour
    Labyrinth
    Cockeyed Cooper

#26 thirdeye11, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  27. Indytruks138

Beer Trader

33 beers I would like to try off that list, I'd call that a damn good beer list. Thanks for posting it up for us Chad!

thirdeye11 likes this.
  28. thirdeye11

Beer Trader

Worked very hard to get stuff I had never tried, and stuff new or very limited to DFW. Glad to hear that even a beer nerd is impressed. Makes it all worth it!

Cheers,
    Chad

29. elbrooksie

elbrooksie Jan 10, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Good stuff! What I am looking forward to the most....

Lakewood

Goatman
    French Quarter Temptress

Sierra Nevada

Hoptimum (cask)
    2012 Vintage – Bigfoot Barley Wine

Saint ArnoldBishop’s Barrel 3

PrairieBomb!
    Somewhere

New Belgium
    Cigar City Lips of Faith - Ale Brewed w/ Anaheim & Marash Chilies

Argus Cidery
    Idalou Brut

30. Indytruks138

Beer Trader

All on my list aside from Goatman as I've had it alreadyl. Have you had Lion's Share and the BA Till & Toil? I am excited for those as well.

31. mattisloco

mattisloco Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

Those who are going, I highly recommend SsahmBBQ's Kimchee fries. Seriously one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth. (Insert joke here)

kcbaby, JJFoodie, thirdeye11 and 3 others like this.
  32. aschwab

Beer Trader

I am assuming it will be just like Chi'lantros in Austin for kimchi fries...so Korean/Mexican fusion truck?

33. air

air Mar 28, 2007 Texas

Food's pretty much identical at both yeah.

34. Indytruks138

Beer Trader

Kimchi is basically pickled cabbage right?

air likes this.
  35. aschwab

Beer Trader

Its the sauerkraut of South Korea

36. ATA1K

ATA1K Feb 4, 2013 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Got a VIP ticket. Sad Atrial wont make it, but lots of good beer there.

Will there be a sperate line on Saturday for people who have already picked up bracelets from Craft?

37. thirdeye11

Beer Trader

Possibly. That's a game time decision really. Based on the number of VIPs we have for this event (<500) I suspect we won't need one and may start letting VIPs in a few minutes early. Will decide that day though if things get rough.

38. ATA1K

ATA1K Feb 4, 2013 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Cool. I remember walking up to the Big Texas Beerfest VIP line, thinking it would take forever, but it went super-smooth. Sounds like this one should too.

thirdeye11 likes this.
  39. thirdeye11

Beer Trader

We had over 90% of our VIPs in the building in 6 minutes, and 96% inside within 12 (I think some just walked up late) and we had 1,000 VIPs for that event. This crowd is going to make me much less anxious I think :)

40. dpkpr

dpkpr Apr 19, 2008 Texas

Are these 1 ounce pours similar to GABF or something else?

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe