Texas IPA

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Roybert, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Roybert

Roybert Aspirant (247) Oct 2, 2014 Texas

Would anyone else like to see TX IPAs shift away from the malt bombs that seem to define the style in this state? I want more hop forward TX IPAs available on the shelf at HEB. Anytime a new IPA comes out, chances of a malt bomb are 20 to 1.

pjeagles likes this.
  2. mig100

mig100 Meyvn (1,005) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

bbrianmo11 likes this.
  3. aschwab

aschwab Devotee (493) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

I don't know which IPAs you are talking about. I am not going to argue that some do put out malt forward IPAs, but those are also from breweries most people don't consider to be putting out great beer regardless.

4. Roybert

I agree that progress has been made around what is available at the brewery but the grocery store is still a hop desert. For example, Zilker has fantastic hop forward taproom offerings but only sells Marco in cans.

I also agree with this statement, but a large part of why I consider these breweries to be sub par is because they are putting out the same style of malty IPA. Anyone who puts out a clean, hop laden IPA get traction.

jsprad likes this.
  5. DipaKamalaDude

DipaKamalaDude Initiate (15) Jan 23, 2018 Texas

Try these:

Real Ale Axis, NXNW Zombie Dragon, Hops and Grain Dispensary or Pellets and Powder, 4th Tap Kung Fu Robot, Austin Beer Works Fire Eagle (it's less malty now) St Arnold Art Car, Tupps IPA ( and Double Dry Hop when you can find it..wow. )

benzodrums, mig100 and ilikebeer03 like this.
  6. mig100

Trader

Off the grocery store or HEB shelf in Texas: Tupps DDH (as stated above) and Everything Rhymes with Orange, problem solved.

Techichi likes this.
  7. Techichi

Techichi Devotee (454) Sep 25, 2012 Texas

Roughtail ERwO is my new go to IPA. Also when their rotating Adaptation comes out...I'm on it. Their latest Adaptation 13 is really good.

#7 Techichi, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    mig100 likes this.
  8. Roybert

I'm with you on the H&G, Fire Eagle, Art Car, and the DDH Tupps. The others fall too far down the malt spectrum for my tastes. However, my post is not about specific beer recommendations. I'd like to know if other TX BA'ers want to see a general shift away from maltness. There are so many breweries still cranking out canned grain.

9. Chadzero

Chadzero Initiate (103) Dec 20, 2008 Texas

But isn't that what beer is?
    It does seem like there is a movement in IPA consumers to go from a hop-forward balance to complete hop bombs without malt character. Breweries making the "best" IPAs aren't just using American pale 2-row though. Low amounts of light crystal will add a honey-like sweetness which you see in a lot of NEIPA. Doughiness is coming from malted or flaked wheat.

Really it seems that consumers tastes are moving against using >30L crystal malt, or darker base malts like Vienna, Munich or MO. Grain character will always play a part in good IPAs, just with more subtlness than it has in the past. I still think it's a little funny when people describe an IPA with a more balanced malt character (noticeable bread crust, toffee, or biscuit) as being a malt bomb. It's not anywhere close toEnglish barleywine or scotch ale!

mig100, Jaycase, champ103 and 3 others like this.
  10. bbrianmo11

bbrianmo11 Initiate (23) Aug 30, 2018 Texas

I agree a lot of the IPA's local in Texas seem to head more towards the Malt these days, however there is a beer for every occasion. I need to get my hands on Dadgum IPA from Deep Ellum in Dallas again and see if I like it still or do I use it as steak marinade...

11. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,609) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

Rahr & Sons Brewing not Deep Ellum :slight_smile:

bbrianmo11 likes this.
  12. bbrianmo11

bbrianmo11 Initiate (23) Aug 30, 2018 Texas

lol my bad. It was a rough day at work so I was off it seems.

donspublic likes this.
  13. Hoopdreama

Hoopdreama Initiate (117) Mar 15, 2014 Texas
    Trader

If in Houston, give Mini Boss from Eureka Heights a try!

drewseslu and ilikebeer03 like this.
  14. mig100

Trader

Totally agree with you Chad, but this is taking the words "malt bomb" literally, whereas currently it's used as a disparaging term for older school tasting IPA's, which unfortunately now = bad, in the eyes of a lot of consumers.

15. HoustonHop420

HoustonHop420 Initiate (56) Apr 3, 2013 Texas

Try Spindletap Hop Gusher

ilikebeer03 likes this.
  16. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Champion (862) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

Delicious