Texas Lambic Fest

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by hash_tagger, Jul 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chadzero

Chadzero Initiate (42) Dec 20, 2008 Texas

[​IMG]
    From Facebook.

Crazy that they charged for tickets so that they could rent a space to fit all those people isn't it?

zonker17, frognot, Chuk_Hell and 8 others like this.
  2. Strelnikov

Strelnikov Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2008 Texas

I've got to admit, I hadn't seen this thread until now. Kind of assumed that the event wasn't going to be listed on BA and subjected to the kind of monumental BS I've seen here. I am truly stunned by some of the sentiments here. I've attended both events and they have been, far and way, the best "bottleshare" gatherings I've ever attended; and Ive been doing them for over 9 years.

Did any of you moaner/groaners actually attend? Mhenson42? If you did, this would be a good time to post an apology. For those that didn't, here's a brief assessment:

There were roughly 280 dead bottles when it ended. In the space of the the 4 hours I was there, I must have had at least 40 tastes from bottles which I would otherwise not have had. I even had some Blabaer! Some of the folks attending showed up with at least 4 bottles, and a few (notably Nic -who brought 2 cases) brought more than a dozen. Considering what these beers cost, this event would have been a bargain at $40.

The facility was big enough, it was air conditioned, had ceiling fans, nice long table, chairs, water coolers, and a porch you could go out to for a smoke, t-shirts, glasses, and more good sentiment than i can list. I doubt any real profit was made and as far as I am concerned, that's a shame. Nic DESERVES it!

So I'm left with one final question for Mhenson42: Why do you care? Are you one of those people who would complain about buying Atrial from someone for $10, if you knew they got it for free?

zonker17, Chuk_Hell, mgr78704 and 4 others like this.
  3. jamescain

jamescain Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Texas

I'll go ahead and tag @mhenson42 since you failed to do that or to respond to one of his post.

4. Strelnikov

Sorry, I was under the impression that quoting someone was the moral equivalent of tagging them. Is that not the case?

Not sure what you mean about "...failed to respond to one of his post." (that should be "posts" -with an S by the way, plural, since you seem to be concerned about small things). What posts did I not respond to? The only new post to this thread, after mine, was yours.

#44 Strelnikov, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  5. Heretic42

Heretic42 Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2011 Texas

He's just saying that if you want a higher chance of a response from someone, you should quote their post or tag them so they get a notification. It's possible that they'd never see the post otherwise.

6. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2009 Texas

As a guy who's organized a few events, let's break it down:

There were about 110 people who attended so the total revenue was about $2,750.

Revenue: $2,750

Costs
    Venue: $500?
    Glasses: 125 (need to order overages) x $2 = $250
    Shirts: 125 x $7 = $875
    Catering: 110 x $10/head = $1,100
    Sales tax remittance: $210
    Profit: ($185)

So if he's lucky, they broke even. If the food and venue were SOMEHOW provided for free (no idea why Waller Creek would do that, but let's say maybe) then he could have made as much as $1,415.

And then he's paying income tax on $1,400 of 20-25%, plus self employment taxes of 15.2%, so he's left with about $800. This would be the maximum he made. And having done this many times, I can assure you his hourly wage was well below minimum wage.

If you don't want to attend these types of things, then don't. But if it's not disclosed that the event is for charity, guess what? It's not a charitable event.

zonker17, frognot, tony2beers and 5 others like this.
  7. thirdeye11

Forgot that he had a door guy too, and if he was paid anywhere from $18-25/hour (the going rate for TABC certified folks), he lost a bit more money. Could have been a volunteer, but the guy didn't drink a drop so I'm guessing he was paid.

Strelnikov likes this.
  8. Strelnikov

Ummm, but I DID quote him.

9. Heretic42

Heretic42 Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2011 Texas

I'm being charitable and assuming he just missed that part.

Strelnikov likes this.
  10. jamescain

Sorry, my bad, I missed seeing the quote

11. jamescain

That's really Matt wanted to know. He never said you shouldn't go to the event if you want to go. I on his side where I think it's a little strange to charge money to drink your own beer, but if people want to do that they're free to do so. It seems everyone had a good time so there is no issue there. I'm still also curious if it was for profit since that has not been disclosed. I personally don't care either way, but i feel it should be made public whether he is or isn't, obviously the people that went don't care.

12. thirdeye11

As I mentioned above, it's for profit. No one has ever done a charitable event in the history of events, without mentioning that it is for charity.

And this is anything but paying to drink your own beer. It's collectively sharing costs for a space that's able to accommodate this many people for a lambic share. If sharing costs for a large-scale share aren't your thing, there's no need to participate. Or call others out for doing so. Nic went to a lot of trouble to organize this thing, and it was not done to make money. As I outlined above though, it probably lost money. Not to mention other things he could have spent money on, such as event insurance. Unless Waller Creek was willing to name him as an additional insured on their policy. I'm guessing that's a no.

zonker17 and ElChuques like this.
  13. johnsaulrubio

johnsaulrubio Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2006 Texas

I'm not sure how I missed this insanity.

For 2 decades, I've wondered when the beer scene would become more rabid, silly, and entitled than what we criticized the wine scene for being. I think we're finally here.

mgr78704, jamescain, NiceFly and 2 others like this.
  14. GreatStoutman

GreatStoutman Crusader (751) Jan 5, 2016 Texas
    Trader

Let's not be too dramatic... It's like 3 or 4 people taking issue here, I don't think it's reasonable to extrapolate that to the entire craft beer community (or even the local scene)

erushing likes this.
  15. mhenson42

mhenson42 Devotee (494) Nov 20, 2011 Texas

Agree with this sentiment. Who cares at this point.

I only ever wanted to know if it was a for profit event. Charging people to cover costs isn’t a profit-making venture. It’s what happens with any left over $ that I wanted to know about. Never got that answer, but it’s obvious it was likely profit, albeit not much. I think I said that was an ingenious way to make $....charging people to drink their own beer. Wish I’d had thought of it first. lol

No need for all the butt hz because you chose to go or the guy who put it on is your buddy. Why so defensive? If your making $, own up to it. I really don't care either way.

16. thirdeye11

"If you're making money, own up to it"

"I really don't care".

Did you really just put these 2 sentences together @mhenson42 ? Do you know the definition of hypocrite?

It's none of anyone's business if it made or lost money. And there's always a break even point with events. Below X number of tickets, you will lose money. Above X number you'll make money. And X is the break even point. Nic took the risk, so it is his info to know, no one else's. He wouldn't have known until after the event was over, and it's seriously no one's business. Certainly not yours since you had no intention to attend. Your only goal here was to complain about something that didn't affect you in any way. Congratulations, you succeeded.

zonker17 and TXhomebrewer like this.
  17. mhenson42

The "I don't care" meant I don't care if he makes a profit. Not sure where that point got missed. Good for him. He's just not gonna earn it from me, which is why I wanted to know. Not sure how the "Bros" would feel about them marketing on their site though.

If he replied to my first post with a yes, then that would have answered the question. Again, why so defensive about it. I let it die already but I keep being dragged back. Thanks @jamescain lol

18. jamescain

You're welcome :wink::grinning:

19. mhenson42

Damn you!

James... Can you explain it to me...if I'm supplying the beer for a share, how the hell is it not my god damn business if someone is making profit? :rolling_eyes:

20. thirdeye11

If you wanna get technical about it, beer was also supplied. You could have come with no lambic and drank beer from The Collective Brewing Project and Big Bend Brewing. And you got food, a glass, and a shirt. If you wanted to drink other people's lambic, there was no one enforcing whether you brought in lambic bottles or not. So you could have done that as well.

And let's further clarify that I'm being as defensive as you are, since we are both defending our positions.

zonker17 likes this.
  21. Strelnikov

This just keeps getting better. Are you an accountant? Here's the basic question which still hasn't been answered: Why do you want to know? (and the corollary) What difference does it make?

When I get a burger at Wendy's, someone is making a profit. If you're making every profit oriented interaction you experience in a day your "damn business", do you ever sleep?

22. jamescain

Was the other beer available mentioned in the original post? I asked if I could show up with no beer to share, but I don't think that question was ever answered.

23. thirdeye11

It was on the ticketing page, which was linked in the original post.

zonker17 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.