The Alchemist (2020)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Davl22, Mar 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YourDigitalGrave

YourDigitalGrave Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2019 Massachusetts

Interesting. Thanks for the info.
    I wonder if @Takeanotherswing "normally" drives from Connecticut to Brattleboro to pick up beer.

2. MattOC

MattOC Defender (663) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I’d say so. You’d be traveling to VT from out of state for non essential items, beer, etc.

“On March 30, Governor Scott ordered residents and non-residents coming from outside the state for anything other than an essential purpose to home-quarantine for 14 days...”

Why is this hard for people to wrap their heads around? Yes, breweries and liquor stores have been deemed essential, but why is it essential for you to cross state lines to get beer if you’re not going to follow the state’s guidelines of a 14 day quarantine? Is there not enough beer in each person’s state or local stores/breweries to satisfy consumption during this time?

FBarber, jonphisher and rozzom like this.
  3. Takeanotherswing

Takeanotherswing Initiate (123) Jan 14, 2011 New York
    Trader

This wasn't directed at CT specifically but overall people from NJ, MA, NY,etc. traveling far to grab a certain beer when most have multiple local options that would deliver to your doorstep.
    I'm not gonna waste time on it but OEC is one with many options delivering to CT doorsteps..

MattOC likes this.
  4. Takeanotherswing

Takeanotherswing Initiate (123) Jan 14, 2011 New York
    Trader

not sure what this even means? I live in NYC

5. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,059) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

yeah common sense / some semblance of social responsibility would stop people traveling long distances for beer. governor scott forgot that beer geeks are not normal tho - based on that thread in the main forum it seems like a “typical” beer run for some people involved 4+ hour round trips

MattOC and jhavs like this.
  6. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,053) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Yep, Pre-COVID-19 I would typically go to HF for every Wednesday release but have held off since they requested instate or 14 day quarantine.

papposilenus and MattOC like this.
  7. nathanb47

nathanb47 Initiate (179) Dec 14, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Fort Point Market had Heady and Focal. Points south of there this week as well will have both

Takeanotherswing likes this.
  8. YourDigitalGrave

Oops. I meant to @Mjmoney23. Sorry about that. Plus I ruined my own joke.

9. BigStein88

BigStein88 Disciple (309) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

I get it, and it isn't that there is not enough beer locally to be happy with, it is also that it has never been so easy to get some beers that you would not normally be able to get. Foam and Hill Farmstead in White River Junction (which is 5 minutes across the border from NH) and guaranteed what you want at Treehouse with no concern about something running out or a 2 hour wait in line? It isn't difficult to see why people might go a little out of their way, especially when they are just looking for an excuse to get out.

MattOC, Rysk22 and jhavs like this.
  10. MattOC

Trader

I don’t necessarily disagree, but this was a question specific to VT, which has a 14 day quarantine order. Off the top of my head I don’t know of another state in New England with that stipulation. Otherwise, I’ve been on the side of, sure go to places, but I don’t see the need to travel multi hour round trips out of state for some beer during all this. That to me seems excessive and unnecessary.

Takeanotherswing and Sheppard like this.
  11. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,053) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

I thought all the New England states had similar recommendations regarding out of state travelers. I know NH and ME do. VT has a bit stronger language and is much more specific though.
    I have not been personally, but I do know that Lawson's Finest allows people from out of state to get curbside pickup of cans/bottles/kegs and does not mention anything about the 14 day quarantine prior for any out of state purchasers.
    Not sure why people need to go either way though, a lot of the beer from these breweries is available at a lot of grocery stores, beer stores and gas stations currently, at least in my area.

rozzom and MattOC like this.
  12. MattOC

Trader

Yeah, I wasn’t sure about others. Maybe it sticks out since it’s the most specific to that timeline.

And I wholeheartedly agree with you. I don’t see the need at all.

jhavs and rozzom like this.
  13. YourDigitalGrave

I just don't think a beer run is a big deal.
    Whether it is out of state or not, if the person is wearing the proper ppe and taking the necessary precautions the risk is close to zero. A lot of these breweries have preorder with no contact pickup and have much better procedures in place than some grocery stores and restaurants.
    As for the need to go on these runs, I think about it kind of like alimony. You get used to a certain lifestyle. Do you need to live like that? No but it is nice.
    Full disclosure, I haven't left my house in a month except to go to the hospital. I wouldn't make any long distance beer trip but if someone really wanted to, I believe they could without having any effect on the pandemic.

TedStrosser and BigStein88 like this.
  14. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,059) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Good analogy. My ex-wife stipulated that if I don’t have a specific amount of Treehouse on hand at any one time, then she will take me to court.

spersichilli likes this.
  15. pointbreak

pointbreak Initiate (53) Dec 16, 2017 Massachusetts

PSA: Heady and Focal have arrived all over Metrowest MA today

Sheppard and Trull like this.
  16. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (153) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I happened to read that before going to CVS, which happens to be next to my favorite packie. I just ducked my head in and asked if they received any Alchemist. "Would be today if we do, but not yet. We'll post on social media." 1 hour later, they post that it'll be available at 6pm. 3 cases of each, only 2 cans of each per person. Hard pass. Oh well.

17. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (669) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

And if you weren't able to get to the store in a manner of seconds after its arrival - tough luck, it's all gone already. Which is fine by me, I got lucky and got some the 1st drop, but I'm not dropping everything to chase it all over the region.

18. celtsfan33

celtsfan33 Initiate (39) Nov 12, 2019 Massachusetts

My local pizza place/arcade is doing a special tonight for curbside pick up. You get one can each of Heady and Focal plus two other craft beers, a large cheese, a large curly fry and an arcade type prize for the kiddos for $30. Easy dinner choice for tonight

19. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (347) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Where's this magical place?

20. lic217

lic217 Savant (924) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

Heaven

21. celtsfan33

celtsfan33 Initiate (39) Nov 12, 2019 Massachusetts

Paragon Boardwalk, Nantasket Beach

22. SnugTeam6

SnugTeam6 Initiate (50) Apr 7, 2014 Massachusetts

The Wegmans in Westood, MA had both Heady Topper and Focal Banger when I did my grocery trip today! One 4pk per customer, apparently they're getting semi-regular shipments of it on Thursdays. Absolutely wonderful surprise in another otherwise depressing grocery trip.

23. nathanb47

nathanb47 Initiate (179) Dec 14, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

From what I’ve read and been told it will be about every 4-5 weeks but could change.
    With that said, south shore got it as well today!

JrGtr, kgfhld4369 and SnugTeam6 like this.
  24. ggang

ggang Initiate (11) Nov 6, 2015 New York

Anyone end up making the trip to Alchemist from out of state today? Did you get stopped at the state border and get told to turn around and go back home? Were you taken against your will for the purpose of locking you up for your mandatory 14 day quarantine? Any beer-run success stories from today? Please share!!

25. Seb_aschn

Seb_aschn Initiate (69) Nov 28, 2018 New Jersey

To preface, I have had Focal Banger plenty of times since 2015 or so .

My last batch ( before the 5.27 one) was in March. That batch had a weird soapy taste to it ( I didn't check the date on the can, but bought it straight from the brewery). It made me not buy the initial drop of it in NJ

I decided to get last week's drop of The Alchemist in NJ. This batch is something else. I don't know what it is (maybe it's me) but this batch is really fucking good. Just the body itself has more ooomph to it than what I remember. I'm enjoying every sip of it, without any soapy flavor like mentioned before.

You know when you really had a good lunch and you keep savoring the taste afterwards? This is how I feel with the 5.27 batch. I should have gotten more than 1 4 pack.

eppCOS and Davl22 like this.
  26. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (2,029) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Howdy - New Englanders - never posted here, but just poppin in to say - I had my first Focal Banger moments ago and it's damn good. Glad to finally try it. 6.3.20 canning.
    What really surprised me was less the grapefruit on the nose, palate, and nose - but the "everything bagel" impact of this beer was a complete WTF moment. And I'm good with that.
    Because I fucking love everything bagels. Cheers!

smutty33, colby600, jhavs and 2 others like this.
  27. Stormfield

Stormfield Aspirant (229) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

I like your analogy. And one thing is for sure: there is absolutely nothing like Heady Topper. To me, it remains a singular creation. Many wonderful hoppy beers out there and plenty of lively discussion about which one is the best. That argument never made sense to me, as we can enjoy all of them. To me, Heady Topper is a treat every time I have one.

Mikecap, eppCOS, smutty33 and 5 others like this.
  28. Stormfield

Stormfield Aspirant (229) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

He’s been doing it for a few years anyway, but I still LOVE watching the clips of John Kimmich introducing and sampling his beers. The faces he makes...the eyes...it’s awesome. His reactions are priceless.

29. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Aspirant (208) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

best thing going in beer several years running at this point

30. followerofmen

followerofmen Initiate (104) Sep 9, 2012 Massachusetts

I scooped a 4 pack a few weeks ago for the first time in... 2 years? and this beer holds up so hard. The body is just right, the hop profile is just right, it drinks so easy for 8%. HT and Lawson Double Sunshine are probably my 2 favorite hoppy beers. Just perfect specimens.

JayORear, jbertsch, eppCOS and 9 others like this.
  31. TedStrosser

TedStrosser Aspirant (269) Jun 19, 2015 Pennsylvania

What are the chances of extending hours to include Monday or Tuesday by 7.13, 7.14?

32. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (187) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

No sure on expanding the hours but Alchemist has been sending more heady and focal out into the wild. They have been easy to find in grocery stores and gas stations

Sheppard likes this.
  33. dbphoto04

dbphoto04 Initiate (22) Nov 22, 2015 Massachusetts

just announced that as of 7/1 they will be open 7 days a week

34. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (798) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Being a little lazy here.....

Where are the Heady/Focal drops in Southern Vermont?

Appreciate some help!

Was really hoping they would send some to CT...Bummer.

35. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Devotee (401) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

I get mine at the Brattleboro CoOp. It drops at noon on Thursdays. (Usually a little before noon).

Also the Market 32 right off 91 has it. Not sure when it drops, but likely same day as the CoOp.

Good Luck!

smutty33 likes this.
  36. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (798) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Thanks for the info. Looks like friday if I make it up there.

NYR-Zuuuuc likes this.
  37. Jason

Jason Founder (8,354) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Society

38. YourDigitalGrave

39. Jason

Society

40. Jason

Society

Latest FB post ...

"We were honored to be a part of getting these classics into cans for the first time ever. Looking like a beautiful weekend to grab some cans at the VPB. Call 802-865-0500 x 2 Thurs thru Sun to pre-order cans and set a pick up time, or make a reservation to enjoy a snack and a can in the beautiful and expansive beer garden. Curbside pickup is also available, just ask!"
    #alch3mistb33r
    #vtpubandbrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.