The Alchemist (April 2017)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Apr 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (208) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

The brewery is open in Stowe:

https://alchemistbeer.com/blog/

Where is it?

Our Brewery and Visitors Center is located at
    100 Cottage Club Rd in Stowe, VT.
    Stop by for a taster, beer to take home or some schwag.

When is it open?

DAYS & HOURS
    Tuesday – Saturday
    11AM – 7PM

What's for sale *now*:

https://alchemistbeer.com/visit-us/

Other more generic info:

https://www.facebook.com/alchemistbeer

https://twitter.com/alchemistbeer

Q: Will there be a restaurant?
    A: No. We will not serve food or full pints of beer. However, there is a lot of great food and drink near us. Feel free to ask the staff for recommendations.

Check out this link:

http://www.gostowe.com/dining

Also, not listed in the guide above is Doc Ponds, for food and drink:

https://www.docponds.com/

Q: What will you sell?
    A: We will sell sample glasses of beer to taste, merchandise and packaged beer to go.

Q: What kind of beer will you sell?
    A: We will have 2 year round beers that are available every day for sale— Heady Topper and Focal Banger. Other beers will rotate throughout the year. John will be bringing back many favorites from the pub days. When these beers are ready for sale, they will simply show up in our retail cooler. We will not be promoting or ticketing any limited releases.

Q: Will there be limits on beer purchases?
    A: Yes. We are trying to accomplish 2 things with our daily allocations. We want to spread our beer out as much as possible. We also want to make sure our customers and beer enthusiasts can purchase enough beer so that the visit is worthwhile. When we open this summer we will start out with the following purchase limits per person: 1 case of Focal Banger and 1 mixed case of Heady Topper and current specialty (to be announced at opening). Of course, 4-packs can be sold singly, but only up to 3 four-packs of Heady and specialty per person.

Q: How much will beer cost?
    A: 16 ounce cans are $12.50/4 pack or $75/case plus tax and deposit. All canned specialties will be sold at this price.

Q: Will you still distribute your beer?
    A: We will continue to distribute Heady Topper (VT only) but not Focal Banger. We will pull back about 30% of our distribution so that we can have daily Heady Topper allocations in Stowe. All bars, restaurants and stores that currently carry Heady Topper will continue to do so. Our larger retail accounts will be pulled back more than smaller accounts. It is our belief that lines will diminish at these stores when our retail shop is open in Stowe. We hope that it becomes simpler for locals to buy a 4-pack at their local store.

Full credit to @F2brewers who posted the above back in July.

** Try not to arrive before 10:00 am. This causes an unnecessary line and traffic for the parking lot and creates trouble with The Alchemist's neighbors and the town. Thank you. **

Q:
    Should I come early?
    A: We have a lot of beer to sell. It is not necessary to line up prior to our opening at 11am each day. If you visit us later in the day you should still have no problem leaving The Alchemist with beer. Please help us keep our neighbors happy and our parking lot manageable by visiting us throughout the day.

Q: Will you run out of beer?
    A: We hope not. We are starting out with a limit of 1 mixed case so that we can spread our beer out as much as possible, but still make it worth a trip for beer. If we do run out of mixed cases later in the day, we will have plenty more Focal Banger to sell.

Q:
    How do I know what is available for sale each day?
    A: You may visit our website to see what is for sale each day and the 4-pack limit for each beer.

Q:
    Are samples available?
    A: Yes—we will have 2 ounce samples available for tasting.

Q:
    May I drink beer outside on your beautiful lawn?
    A: Sorry, no. This is illegal. However, we have plans to create an outdoor area for sampling beer in the very near future.

Q:
    Do you have tours available?
    A: No. However, our viewing area is in the brewery, right next to our canning line. We have lots of educational information and educated staff.

Q:
    May I bring my tour bus?
    A: Sorry, no.

We open our parking lot at 10 AM. Please do not arrive before that time. Parking on Cottage Club Rd is prohibited. Parking on the street causes issues with our neighbors. RV & trailer parking is allowed only after 4 PM. Please help us maximize our parking spaces.

We look forward to seeing you in beautiful Stowe!

2. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (151) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Crazy rumor I heard today. A woman claimed that she drinks Heady Topper on the reg and she is celiac. One of those claims has to be bullshit right?! Problem is my gluten free wife heard it and is getting her hopes up.

Why wouldn't they advertise that everywhere if that were true. Even the addition of Clarity Ferm to achieve it would be noted by them right?

3. vtcraft

vtcraft Aspirant (217) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Beer Trader

My wife with celiac had a few good size sips of a heady few years ago and regretted it.

4. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (233) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Jen Kimmich has celiac disease, so John came up with the GF recipe for "Celia", and sold it to Ipswich, I think. None of the other Alchemist beers have ever claimed to be GF, though, as far as I know...

BoldRulerVT and InspectorBob like this.
  5. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Champion (856) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

Two weeks since they posted that sweet pic of lupulin powder for next edition of Skadoosh. Any guesses on when they'll drop it?

6. scrub0bk

scrub0bk Initiate (172) Feb 21, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

how has the wait been recently? heading up in a couple weeks and i know itll probably busier since itll be warmer but figured i'd gauge.

7. MattOC

MattOC Aspirant (210) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It's April school vacation for many in New England in a couple of weeks - starts Friday 4/14 through the following weekend. Something to keep in mind as well.

Sheppard, skleice and scrub0bk like this.
  8. CmHC

CmHC Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2016 Pennsylvania

My guess is once Farmers Daughter is gone

Seems to be a pattern that once something is out the next one shows up!

9. vtcraft

Beer Trader

My wife was in and out in less than 5 min last Thurs around 5, could have gotten full allotments of everything.

10. BoldRulerVT

Well they said Farmer's Daughter should be around for 3 weeks and Skadoosh has now been in tanks for 16 days +...so I dunno.

11. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,590) Oct 25, 2003 France
    Beer Trader

Have read over the thread and website, and have a question. I have no interest in buying any cans to go, but would like to purchase a sampler tray of whatever is on tap at the brewery. Is there a separate area in which I can do that, or do I have to stand in the same line, regardless of whether I want to purchase some cans to go or buy sample tray (the latter arrangement is how things work at Bissell Brothers, for example).

Thanks!

12. skleice

skleice Aspirant (226) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

There is a sample area to the left when you walk in. Retail is on the right.

13. vtcraft

Beer Trader

Samples are free- no trays or flights, one sample at a time but very easy to sample everything they are pouring

14. Phineasco

Phineasco Devotee (466) Sep 4, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

They were sampling heady, focal, and beezlebub today.

15. John_M

Beer Trader

Thanks guys. This is very helpful. Much obliged.

16. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (303) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Skadoosh IV

DirtyDawg10 and 7irondave like this.
  17. Soloveitchik

Soloveitchik Disciple (397) Feb 7, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Video has gotten me excited for my trip to VT this weekend. Hopefully the Skadoosh lasts till tomorrow. Looks delicious!!

18. 2Xmd

2Xmd Devotee (469) Apr 19, 2013 New York

Is he baked? I don't know if it's that or Denali hops are really good...

jlordi12 and mig100 like this.
  19. mig100

mig100 Crusader (795) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

I think so, another reason why he's awesome.

2Xmd likes this.
  20. BoldRulerVT

How long have previous Skadoosh's lasted?

21. TheMagnanimous

TheMagnanimous Initiate (198) Mar 16, 2011 Vermont
    Beer Trader

He's gone on the record many times about cannabis. A fan of the headies.

smutty33, mig100 and BoldRulerVT like this.
  22. Seany

Seany Initiate (185) Sep 27, 2005 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Usually a couple days I believe...

BoldRulerVT likes this.
  23. Tine802

Tine802 Aspirant (279) Jun 21, 2014 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Already sold out.

24. BoldRulerVT

Not even two days? Wow.

25. John_M

Beer Trader

Just noticed that Alchemist is closed on Sundays (unfortunately). Was at HF today, who I also noticed is closed on Sunday. Given the rather remote location of HF (it may be spring, but the roads near the brewery are still all muddy, slushy and laced with a minefield of potholes), I could see why HF might want to close on Sunday, but I was surprised to see the Alchemist closed. That made me wonder if possibly state low prohibits the retail sale of alcohol from stores or breweries on Sunday (I worked in wine store in Memphis years ago, and stores in Tennessee weren't allowed to sell alcohol on Sunday). Given the location of the Alchemist, it just seemed to me that they would likely be open for business on Sunday if they could be.

26. dwmetsfan13

dwmetsfan13 Initiate (153) Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I don't think it's a legal thing as I know I've been to Long Trail on Sundays. More likely they just want to give themselves and their employees a day off.

jlordi12 and HuskyHawk like this.
  27. John_M

Beer Trader

Which I completely understand. I was just kind of surprised to see them include Sunday as an off day, seeing as how it is the weekend, and a day that traditionally most American's still get off. Or so I've heard... :-) Not everyone who wants to can make it to the brewery on Saturday, so I just assumed they would be open on Sunday.

I live in Portland Oregon, where pretty much everyplace is open on Sunday. So it just caught me by surprise to learn that the Alchemist is closed on Sunday.

We'll be here in Waterbury through Monday, and fortunately there are plenty of great restaurants and beer bars in town where you can find Alchemist stuff. I'm a bit disappointed we can't visit the brewery, but C'est la vie, this is still a great place to be, with plenty of great beer options in town.

28. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (233) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

The Kimmichs are notoriously employee-friendly and family-friendly. It may also be a stipulation of arrangements they made with the Town of Stowe to maintain an operation that won't suffer the same fate they did in Waterbury re: traffic, zoning, and neighbor conflicts. Suffice to say, they've planned very carefully this time around.

John_M likes this.
  29. John_M

Beer Trader

Good, well thought out points that never crossed my mind. The comments in the OP repeatedly reflect their concern for their neighbors and the local community.

Oh well. Fortunately, there are plenty of places around town that carry their beer. I don't think the wife and I will suffer too greatly.

Thank you.

30. jhavs

jhavs Meyvn (1,393) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Lost Nation is a good Sunday stop for lunch.

EvilAsh likes this.
  31. John_M

Beer Trader

Thanks. Appreciate the recommendation. Our problem is that there are so many great places to visit... it's really hard to narrow things down. :-)

mltobin and jhavs like this.
  32. Jdubz78

Jdubz78 Initiate (119) Nov 23, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Having the pleasure of going to the Alchemist for the first time this Tuesday. What should I be expecting with regards to the overall experience tasting / and getting cans?

Thanks in advance

33. Soloveitchik

Soloveitchik Disciple (397) Feb 7, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Tasting is not an enjoyable experience. More like an assembly line. Small pour (1-2oz) of 2-3 of beers they have available that day. Line was about 30 people deep when I arrived at 10:25am this Saturday. They opened the doors right when we arrived and we were out the door 10 minutes later. Good merch, good vibes, great beer, cool space that is designed for efficiency not for comfort.

34. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (208) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

If you don't arrive at opening, you don't see the above. The staff member serving the tasting samples then has more time to spend with each person. The samples are free and enough to help you decide on a purchase of a four pack.

jlordi12 likes this.
  35. abkayak

abkayak Disciple (391) Jan 8, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

not being lazy, looked around for the answer but didn't find so here goes ....cash only?

36. CmHC

CmHC Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2016 Pennsylvania

No, it is not.

37. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (303) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

I will always love the Alchemist.

38. Slshap

Slshap Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2015 Pennsylvania

Their website is showing "Limited Edition" - Not available yet as their 5th beer. Admittedly, I have been checking their site way more lately now that I am headed up there next week. Any ideas what it could be?

39. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Initiate (104) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I gotta gush for a minute. I, like a lot of others cut my teeth at the Alchemist brewery way back in the day...like 05 back in the day. Before then Dogfish head was my beer.

I honestly forgot just how good all of Alchemist's other beers are aside from the a-team(heady focal crusher). Farmer's Daughter is just an absolute delight to drink. fruity, peppery funk with a whole bunch of hops. Beelzebub is a truly unique take on a stout. it's as hoppy as it is roasty. Just amazing. Pappy's Porter was just incredible too. Luscious lived up to the name.

I'm so happy that they're able to provide these beers again. Now that the brewery is in full swing we're starting to see 4-5 different options available at a time?! In a world of IPA, the Alchemist proves that they're still so much more.

40. JG__

JG__ Initiate (123) Mar 26, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

That slot was filled with Skadoosh earlier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.