The Alchemist (April 2017)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Apr 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Str8fromtheGrnMtns

Str8fromtheGrnMtns Initiate (170) Sep 8, 2014 Vermont
    Beer Trader

that was quick... Skadoosh V. man I wish I could get up there for this one.

ManapuaMan and 7irondave like this.
  2. heffnate77

heffnate77 Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2011 New York

So am I reading their website correctly...we can walk out of their Brewery with about 4.5 cases of beer?? Or is there some type of mixed case limit??

CmHC likes this.
  3. CmHC

CmHC Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2016 Pennsylvania

Actually 5.5 cases per person per day

FTFY!

4. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (228) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

Keep in mind that tomorrow could be different ... They update every morning and if allotments run out during they day.

5. WillemHC

WillemHC Initiate (198) Jun 21, 2013 Utah
    Beer Trader

I've only had the pleasure to drink focal, heady, and crusher. But crusher especially is one of the best beers I've ever had in general. These guys just are the best. I just can't appreciate them enough for the respect they show their employees and community. Beyond that, they continuously keep their prices so much lower than many of their competitors because they want beer to be as accessible as it can possibly be for a much wider range of incomes. I can't wait to have an opportunity to drink their other styles.

lic217 likes this.
  6. ManapuaMan

ManapuaMan Meyvn (1,042) Apr 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Top notch beer and culture, for sure. Came across this long-ish article about their brewpub-to-brewery journey. It's a great read regardless of your knowledge of their history -
    https://longreads.com/2017/03/01/the-story-of-heady-topper-americas-most-loved-craft-beer/

#46 ManapuaMan, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  7. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (178) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Skadoosh V is the shit. You need to get you some of that. I find myself getting tired of zero bitterness juice bombs, and The Alchemist is killing it with the Skadoosh series.

smutty33, kool-aid and purephase like this.
  8. goblue30

goblue30 Initiate (195) May 18, 2016 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I will be visiting in a couple weeks on the back end of a beer inspired road trip and just curious what I should expect. I will be coming from Portland, Maine on Saturday 5/6 and plan to hit HF around 12-1pm and then head to Alchemist. Just curious if I get there around 3pm or so will there be a line? Chance that specific beers are already sold out? I figure Saturday is probably the busiest day, but just not sure how crazy it gets there. From the sounds of it I should be there on a decent weekend though (i.e. after school breaks, but before summer). Any insights would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

Coronaeus likes this.
  9. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (248) Jan 12, 2014 Utah
    Beer Trader

Picked up some Skadoosh V, FB, Farmers Daighter on Tuesday. Skadoosh is pretty darn good, not amazing but good.

Must say I had a pout of Heady at the Brewery that was downright horrible. Maybe the most vegetal tasting beer I've had in a while. Straight green pepper flavor. Never tasted a Heady like that. It was weird. FB wasn't especially awesome either. It was super musty/armpit you get sometimes from
    Mosaic. Cans u picked up weren't that bad.

10. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (178) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Shouldn't have any issues at The Alchemist, but getting there at 3:00 may be a stretch. You may want to push HF up to 11-12 time frame. Saturday Growler Fill lines can be a decent wait, especially if there is a popular release.

Coronaeus likes this.
  11. purephase

purephase Initiate (166) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Heady is still my favorite Alchemist IPA but I've been consistently disappointed with how the samples on draft have tasted since the new brewery opened.

12. EDNOSE

That's why you should drink it from the can! :-)

I agree that the samples I had of Heady were not great, but not "vegetal" as mentioned above.

13. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (171) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Wish they would bust out Ouroboros one day soon....

AlonzoMosely and BoldRulerVT like this.
  14. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (178) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Heady is still brewed in Waterbury.

15. purephase

purephase Initiate (166) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Yeah I didn't mean to imply that. I've just been disappointed with how it's tasted on draft since they started serving it in Stowe, especially compared to my memories of it on draft at the Waterbury location and at Pro Pig (never had it at Hen of the Wood).

16. goblue30

Beer Trader

Thanks for the advice. Will definitely keep this in mind if I see something I'm going to want a growler of.

17. EDNOSE

I oils also say that they may have sold out of something by the time you get there ... too many variables to predict. Just saying you should be prepared for that possibility.

18. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Defender (653) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Planning the same route on the same day. Thanks for asking the question and providing the answer even before I asked it!

If I can tag on to this:

I am planning to arrive at HF at about 10:30/10:45 on the Saturday. Is it better to get in the bottle, or growler fill line first? I am assuming growler from what you say above.

Also planning a mid-afternoon meal at Prohibition Pig after a stop at the Alchemist. Is it likely I will have trouble getting seated? (Party of 2).

Thirdly, If I want to hit one bottle shop in either Waterbury or in Burlington, which one should I make a priority?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

This will be my first trip to Vermont in forever. The last time I was there, Magic Hat had just started production and were giving away samples at the bar on Church Street I was at. Had my first Zima that trip too.

19. goblue30

Beer Trader

Yeah, I figured that could be a possibility especially with it being Saturday. Only ever had Heady before so just hoping to be able to grab a few cans of their other beers.

20. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Aspirant (211) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

1. Growler - unless there is something super limited you can't live without.
    2. Probably a crapshoot. Hard to predict restaurant busy times, but mid-afternoon for two is normally doable with a minimal wait. If it's slammed there, do yourself a favor and go to the blackback across the street.
    3. Waterbury CBC

Coronaeus and kwardle like this.
  21. meefmoff

meefmoff Aspirant (287) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

That's a great read and thanks for the link. I particularly liked this line:

"You can be socially responsible and still make more money than you need."

I don't begrudge anyone who does decide to go corporate or decides that they want to make the really huge bucks. But I don't like that that is often described as the only sensible goal for a business.

ManapuaMan likes this.
  22. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Defender (653) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Thanks for the help!

23. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Champion (837) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

When this was released a few years back on draft I made the drive down to Waterbury for it and it was one of the best beers I ever had. Can't agree more.

LukieBL likes this.
  24. just_sugar_water

just_sugar_water Initiate (29) Dec 14, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Just curious, got a can of what I was told was skadoosh v. Opened it up and there were a ton of floaties. Never seen this from a can from other breweries that's supposed to be less than 2 weeks old. Can anyone else confirm they have seen this in their cans as well?

25. DirtyDawg10

DirtyDawg10 Aspirant (204) Apr 5, 2016 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Just had one tonight. Yes it had floaties in it but they were delicious floaties!

26. MarkJC1018

MarkJC1018 Disciple (365) Dec 27, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I made the trek to The Alchemist today. Skadoosh V is fantastic!

DirtyDawg10 likes this.
  27. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Zealot (526) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Visited the brewery today -- empty around 2pm. Mud Season in full swing. Place is just gorgeous and the vibe is inviting. Got a 4 pack of all the beers being offered. Cracked an FB with dinner and had forgotten how absurd the nose is on this beer -- I can't think of a more aromatic IPA. :slight_smile:
    [​IMG]

jlordi12, cgwami, kool-aid and 4 others like this.
  28. wasatchback

Beer Trader

FBs I grabbed from the Brewery a little over a week ago have more floaties than I've ever seen. Looks like cold break not "hop resins". A little excessive IMHO. Haven't had that many TH beers but never had one floaty and their beers are substantially better than Alchemist stuff IMHO.

29. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (178) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Tree House and Alchemist make pretty different beers. So many people lump Alchemist in with the NEIPA, but it's just not what they're about.

30. wasatchback

Beer Trader

I wouldn't say some of them are that different honestly. TH might use a small percentage of XXXX to accentuate haze and a slightly different water profile than Alchemist but all of their beers are more refined and balanced than any Alchemist beer I've had.

31. MakersNeat

MakersNeat Disciple (300) Oct 2, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

First off, I think the comparison is not really applicable. Alchemist makes fantastic beer, and lots of it. When can you walk into Treehouse and buy 3 cases of top notch beer with very little wait?Not only that, but Alchemist is really consistent and their beers varies greatly in style. Luscious smokes pretty much all TH stouts save Good Morning (yes, better than any single/double shot/twss/whatever). Petite Mutant is really good, and Beelzebub is a great twist on a stout. When you can walk out of TH with a couple mixed cases of J/Green/AE/etc in under an hour, they can wear the belt (until someone Treehouses Treehouse).

As for HT and FB, they are superb beers in any conversation. Heady set the standard, and years later still is badass. It is such a well rounded IPA, and that cannot be said for many of the NEIPAs out now. Do I love the latter, yes of course I do, TH Green is one of my favorite beers. Very few beers match Heady though on nose, mouthfeel, hop character, taste, and bitterness. I am a little older, and like bitterness in my IPAs which a lot of TH and other NEIPAs lack. I like a good hop pillow as much as the next guy, but I want more backbone which both HT and FB deliver on every time. Last note on these guys is shelf life. No other IPA has a shelf life like Heady or Focal do, it is an incredible testament and a real accomplishment few if any breweries can replicate. Keep in mind also TH is mostly on the map because of people trekking north for Heady/Hill Farmstead.

Both are great, great breweries and we should be thankful they continue to crank out such wonderful goodness.

jlordi12, cgwami, smutty33 and 6 others like this.
  32. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (171) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Totally correct with Heady shelf life. It is still a great beer with 6 months on it.

After sort of burning out on TH, Trillium lately, I've returned to HT and it really is quite a departure from the new school NEIPAs

It's pretty much just a benchmark beer in terms of balance

33. lic217

lic217 Crusader (798) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I prefer Alchmist beers by a lot to treehuse and trillium, because they meet my expectations of a great hoppy beer.. I think there is a significant difference between them. They are less tropical and more complex to me.

34. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Zealot (526) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Skadoosh V is incredible. Citra monster -- juice to sharp and pleasant full on hop bitterness. Loving the new regular offerings. Despite all the new competition - the Alchemist is still on the podium. :slight_smile:
    [​IMG]

jlordi12, cgwami, CraigMack61 and 4 others like this.
  35. kool-aid

kool-aid Initiate (171) Apr 3, 2017 Vermont

I recently had a Heady with one year on it, saved as an experiment. It was crystal clear and amazingly delicious. It wasn't sweet or stale and didn't turn into a barleywine like other aged IPAs do sometimes. For comparison, it was drank side by side with a just-purchased Heady straight from the brewery. I slightly preferred the old one which totally surprised me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.