The Alchemist (August 2017)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Aug 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (249) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

The brewery is open in Stowe:

https://alchemistbeer.com/blog/

Where is it?

Our Brewery and Visitors Center is located at
    100 Cottage Club Rd in Stowe, VT.
    Stop by for a taster, beer to take home or some schwag.

When is it open?

DAYS & HOURS
    Tuesday – Saturday
    11AM – 7PM

What's for sale *now* (this is updated daily):

https://alchemistbeer.com/visit-us/

Other more generic info:

https://www.facebook.com/alchemistbeer

https://twitter.com/alchemistbeer

Q: Will there be a restaurant?
    A: No. We will not serve food or full pints of beer. However, there is a lot of great food and drink near us. Feel free to ask the staff for recommendations.

Check out this link:

http://www.gostowe.com/dining

Also, not listed in the guide above is Doc Ponds, for food and drink:

https://www.docponds.com/

Q: What will you sell?
    A: We will sell sample glasses of beer to taste, merchandise and packaged beer to go.

Q: What kind of beer will you sell?
    A: We will have 2 year round beers that are available every day for sale— Heady Topper and Focal Banger. Other beers will rotate throughout the year. John will be bringing back many favorites from the pub days. When these beers are ready for sale, they will simply show up in our retail cooler. We will not be promoting or ticketing any limited releases.

Q: Will there be limits on beer purchases?
    A: Yes. We are trying to accomplish 2 things with our daily allocations. We want to spread our beer out as much as possible. We also want to make sure our customers and beer enthusiasts can purchase enough beer so that the visit is worthwhile. When we open this summer we will start out with the following purchase limits per person: 1 case of Focal Banger and 1 mixed case of Heady Topper and current specialty (to be announced at opening). Of course, 4-packs can be sold singly, but only up to 3 four-packs of Heady and specialty per person.

Q: How much will beer cost?
    A: 16 ounce cans are $12.50/4 pack or $75/case plus tax and deposit. All canned specialties will be sold at this price.

Q: Will you still distribute your beer?
    A: We will continue to distribute Heady Topper (VT only) but not Focal Banger. We will pull back about 30% of our distribution so that we can have daily Heady Topper allocations in Stowe. All bars, restaurants and stores that currently carry Heady Topper will continue to do so. Our larger retail accounts will be pulled back more than smaller accounts. It is our belief that lines will diminish at these stores when our retail shop is open in Stowe. We hope that it becomes simpler for locals to buy a 4-pack at their local store.

Full credit to @F2brewers who posted the above back in July.

** Try not to arrive before 10:00 am. This causes an unnecessary line and traffic for the parking lot and creates trouble with The Alchemist's neighbors and the town. Thank you. **

Q:
    Should I come early?
    A: We have a lot of beer to sell. It is not necessary to line up prior to our opening at 11am each day. If you visit us later in the day you should still have no problem leaving The Alchemist with beer. Please help us keep our neighbors happy and our parking lot manageable by visiting us throughout the day.

Q: Will you run out of beer?
    A: We hope not. We are starting out with a limit of 1 mixed case so that we can spread our beer out as much as possible, but still make it worth a trip for beer. If we do run out of mixed cases later in the day, we will have plenty more Focal Banger to sell.

Q:
    How do I know what is available for sale each day?
    A: You may visit our website to see what is for sale each day and the 4-pack limit for each beer.

Q:
    Are samples available?
    A: Yes—we will have 2 ounce samples available for tasting.

Q:
    May I drink beer outside on your beautiful lawn?
    A: Sorry, no. This is illegal. However, we have plans to create an outdoor area for sampling beer in the very near future.

Q:
    Do you have tours available?
    A: No. However, our viewing area is in the brewery, right next to our canning line. We have lots of educational information and educated staff.

Q:
    May I bring my tour bus?
    A: Sorry, no.

We open our parking lot at 10 AM. Please do not arrive before that time. Parking on Cottage Club Rd is prohibited. Parking on the street causes issues with our neighbors. RV & trailer parking is allowed only after 4 PM. Please help us maximize our parking spaces.

We look forward to seeing you in beautiful Stowe!

2. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (228) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

Focal Banger down to 1 4 pack today ... (Maybe no one knows the answer) have they been over-distributing to bars/restaurants, have they been getting wiped out? This was "supposed to be" the mass readily available offering in Stowe ... Meanwhile with the continued 6 4 pack limits on Beelzebub and Pappy's Porter ... seems like they can't get rid of that stuff. Idle observations ... :-)

Skadoosh IX at 4 4 pack limit, however.

mltobin and yossle like this.
  3. DanPing

DanPing Aspirant (261) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I took today off to get some HT and FB and they are sold out! Alchemist owes me a vacation day! *

* This did not happen...but very curious as to why they don't have their 2 core offerings available.

4. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (160) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont

They have been getting smoked since VT Brewer's Festival. Foam has been dealing with the same thing, they're only pouring 3 beers right now. Hopefully it's just a brief shortfall.

DanPing likes this.
  5. mendham_mikey

mendham_mikey Initiate (70) Nov 11, 2014 New Jersey

bummer - i'm visiting the area in 3 weeks, hopefully they'll have it sorted out by then.

6. ShippinUpToBoston

ShippinUpToBoston Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2013 Massachusetts

They need to cut the shit with the Pappy's and Beezlebub especially in the summer months. Nobody wants that stuff right now.

7. PicoPapa

PicoPapa Poo-Bah (2,785) Mar 6, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

I went today and they sold out of Focal Banger before 1130.

8. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (208) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

The Alchemist
    We have had lots of questions regarding beer availability for the rest of the week, so here is a thorough update:

We decided to switch things up and we brewed a large batch of Skadoosh! This version, which we love, was switched out for Focal Banger and is for sale this week. So, the good news is that Skadoosh will be available through Saturday! Focal Banger and Crusher will both be available again next week. For the rest of the week, we will have Heady, Skadoosh, Porter and Beelzebub for sale each day.
    Now that summer is in full swing, Heady has been selling out by 3pm each day- please plan your visit accordingly.
    As always, we are pouring free samples of Heady, Focal and Porter all week...

We look forward to seeing you!

jhavs and yossle like this.
  9. woodfinish

woodfinish Initiate (198) Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

Speak for yourself. Beelzebub is a terrific summer evening sipper.

10. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (453) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Agree. It's my new favorite caskadian dark ale. Just a great hoppy dark ale.

lovindahops likes this.
  11. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (364) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Yeah they've really go to cut this "having a variety of beer available" shit. It's awful...

12. robo55

robo55 Initiate (68) Oct 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Not a fan of mosaic, but this version of skadoosh is really tasty! Ditto Beezlebub and Pappy's Porter - it's too hot for this type of beer.

13. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (364) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

About to drink an imperial stout just to spite this thread.

14. topsham134

topsham134 Initiate (16) May 18, 2017 New York

I reluctantly bought a 4 pack of Beez last time I was there thinking the same thing - who wants a stout in the summer. I was wrong - good thing my wife convinced me to get it. It's great on a cooler summer evening.

MarkJC1018 and woodfinish like this.
  15. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (473) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Finally made it up to the new place this weekend - what a great space! It was disappointing that both Heady and Focal were out (and no Crusher) but I was really impressed at how they're going to the trouble to pour decent sized free samples in a nice piece of glassware.

Loved Skidoosh and Pappy's but Beelzebub is a bit too hoppy for my taste in stouts.

Popped over to Von Trapp aftewards (which I didn't realize was so close) and enjoyed the hell out of that as well.

16. Dmbphoenix

Dmbphoenix Disciple (371) May 17, 2012 New York

Got there on Sat at 1:55pm after leaving NY at 8am. Got some Heady, Skidoosh, pap and Beez.

Later checked the website to find Heady was out within the hour.

Hopefully a bit better on weekdays? I did see some at Edelweiss in passing today but passed at $16

17. MakersNeat

MakersNeat Aspirant (287) Oct 2, 2012 New York
    Trader

Anyone have intel on the situation at Alchemist this week? They are not even open yet, but the site lists both Heady and Focal as sold out. I know Kimmich said Focal and Crusher return this week, but not an inspiring start to the week and I am visiting this weekend. Hopefully they can get the big three ready for the weekend.

18. MakersNeat

Trader

Someone's ears must have been burning at Alchemist, they updated their site a minute ago and Heady/Focal/Crusher all up. Skadoosh down to 1 4pack, might be trying to stretch it for the week.

19. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Meyvn (1,283) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I may be wrong - but from memory I think they typically don't update on Tuesday (which is for the week) until an hour or so before open.

20. Dmbphoenix

Just got back around noon.

i'm only up here once every 3 to 5 years so just paying it forward for all the information I've gotten over the years

Ska 1
    Focal 4
    Heady 2

Rest are 6:
    Crusher
    Pappy
    Beez

analogchainsaw likes this.
  21. Dmbphoenix

Quick question,

already been to doc ponds twice but looking for another place with the great tap list near the Alchemist. ...for tonight! Please? Thanks!

22. MakersNeat

Trader

@Dmbphoenix , just for drinks? If so The Bench is like 100yds away and has a great tap list usually. Cannot vouche for the food though. Piecasso might have some decent stuff also, and their pies are tasty.

23. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Aspirant (254) Feb 17, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

I second Piecasso. Only been to Stowe once but that was a good spot. HF on tap when I was there.

24. Shaymus

Shaymus Disciple (366) May 16, 2009 Massachusetts

The Bench...... Idletyme Brewery

25. NiceBeerCans

Trader

I like The Bench and it was recommended by the Alchemist staff. Food is good and nice tap list. Enjoy.

26. Dmbphoenix

Decided on Von Trappe for something different.

A BEAUTIFUL evening on the back patio. Highly advise.

And a perk since the wife loves that sound of music movie.

27. Dmbphoenix

Gonna hit the Bench for dessert. Thx!

duchessedubourg likes this.
  28. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (473) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I almost suggested this but thought it would be too far afield from your request :slight_smile: We went last weekend and really enjoyed it as well.

29. Dmbphoenix

Update......holy shit, what a trip to Bench! Nailed four Hill Farmsteads on tap as well as a few other goodies.

Doc Ponds has got a great burger and Fries but the Benchs 28 taps were amazing. Blown away!

Yes, Von Trappe was a nice prelude to it all.

30. Dmbphoenix

Oh and here's a great tip from my daughter...

She saw the box that carried the pair of Alchemist IPA glasses that we bought and as we were about to throw them out asked if they were tissue boxes....

Presto, got ourselves a pair of Alchemist tissue boxes too!

meefmoff likes this.
  31. JLK7299

JLK7299 Meyvn (1,213) Apr 21, 2016 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Headed up next Friday, can't wait!

32. DanPing

DanPing Aspirant (261) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We're releasing another batch of Lightweight today. It's a 4.4% American Blonde Ale made with all Pilsner malt and Hallertau Hops.

33. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (236) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Will be in Stowe next weekend and plan to grab some beer to go on Saturday. Is it dog friendly?

34. bla211

bla211 Initiate (119) Mar 17, 2015 New York

Yes

35. Justin42

Trader

Thank you! Couldn't find anyone on their website but thought I had read that in a previous thread. @NiceBeerCans , maybe something to add to first post for this and other threads?

36. NiceBeerCans

Trader

Can't edit this month's first post but I'll try to remember to add it to next month's first post.

I actually never saw any dogs inside the building. Can we get a second confirmation? Thanks.

37. analogchainsaw

analogchainsaw Initiate (188) Nov 21, 2011 California

Stopped in a couple times this week and on both occasions we saw dogs inside the building.

NiceBeerCans likes this.
  38. JLK7299

JLK7299 Meyvn (1,213) Apr 21, 2016 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Lighten up Francis

39. Dmbphoenix

So first off I want to thank everyone for their input. Was able to go to the alchemist on two separate days and tried several different beers.

We ended up going to doc ponds twice because their burgers are so good.

Also went to the Von trap beer hall which was very pretty and perfect for a sunset with my wife and no kids in tow

The huge surprise was the recommendation given here to go to the Bench. Seriously one of the most impressive tap lists I've seen in a long time. Four Hill Farmstead's, lost nation, alchemist, Hermit thrust, fiddlehead and 14th Star are just the names that I can remember. I can't thank you guys enough for recommending the bench.

40. Justin42

Trader

Looks like Focal hasn't been available at the brewery in cans this week? Any suggestions for where to find it in Stowe restaurants? Or is it like Heady and virtually everywhere? Apologies for the dumb question, been 4 years since I've made the trip and going this weekend. Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.