The Alchemist (September 2016)

Discussion in 'New England' started by downesadam, Sep 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downesadam

downesadam Initiate (147) Jun 24, 2016 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I'm going to give this another try after talking to one of the Mods.

New brewery is open in Stowe:

https://alchemistbeer.com/blog/

Where is it?

Our Brewery and Visitors Center is located at
    100 Cottage Club Rd in Stowe, VT.
    Stop by for a taster, beer to take home or some schwag.

When is it open?

DAYS & HOURS
    Tuesday – Saturday
    11AM – 7PM

What's for sale *now*:

https://alchemistbeer.com/visit-us/

And now a few questions for those with recent experience:

I am planning to go tomorrow morning. I could probably get there as early as 10 and I would really like to be back on the road around 11:30 with a goal of having lunch at Pro Pig en route to Stratton for the rest of the weekend. I will be with my wife and two young daughters who will be indulging me with this side trip having been bribed with Ben and Jerry's and cider donuts. My goal is to be in and out as quickly as possible with two mixed cases during that time frame. If I show up sometime between 10:30 and 11, am I likely to find a full parking lot? Am I risking missing out on any of the three beers?

Also, semi-related, is there likely to be anywhere in the greater Waterbury/Stowe area where I can buy an additional 4-pack or two of HT (or SOS) tomorrow morning (or even late tonight, to the extent they are still open when I arrive after 9)? It seems unlikely given that no deliveries are scheduled for Fridays, but I am trying to bring as much great VT beer as I can to a large family reunion down in Stratton, and unfortunately southern VT is simply not fertile territory for that sort of thing. I plan to at least stop in a CBC in Waterbury and look for whatever is available - Tribute, Fiddlehead, Foley Bros, etc.

FlashAK, Jaycase and F2brewers like this.
  2. downesadam

downesadam Initiate (147) Jun 24, 2016 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Does anyone know what their new "Harvest" beer is that they just posted about today?

3. thedude180

thedude180 Initiate (138) Apr 3, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Posted this in the last thread that was deleted, here is a video of John Kimmich talking about the Harvest Ale. Looks to be an amber ale, also he says it was brewed at the brewpub but was different every year.

Brad007 and downesadam like this.
  4. Todd

Todd Founder (5,259) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

Note: It looks like the original thread was inadvertently nuked when cleaning up a problem user. Our bad. But what we don't need are asinine comments about moderation, demands that we explain ourselves or multiple threads being created; improperly. Thanks, and thanks to @downesadam for starting a new one; properly.

5. distantmantra

distantmantra Savant (968) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

Does anyone know if Harvest is a fresh hop beer or just a harvest ale?I've heard conflicting things all over the Internet and would like to know either way. You know, for science. Thanks.

6. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Aspirant (211) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

What? I always loved those posts when I moderated one of my college sports boards years ago. :)

7. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Defender (650) Nov 15, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

If you watch the video directly above your post, you'll get an answer right from the horse's mouth.

Jaycase likes this.
  8. lic217

lic217 Crusader (751) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Finally got to try Crusher and Focal Banger. To me, Alchemist is my favorite hoppy beer brewery in New England. They do a great job of having tropical, citrus, pine, resin, and other flavors in their beer. Some of the other "great breweries" beers do not offer the same complexity in their hoppy offerings. Heady topper and focal banger are incredible.

MA_hops, bfitzge2, meefmoff and 2 others like this.
  9. Pete_Gill

Pete_Gill Initiate (112) Oct 9, 2015 Massachusetts

Any idea how long harvest ale lasted yesterday?

10. FlashAK

FlashAK Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

I, too, would love to know what to expect in terms of availability from people that have visited. I plan on swinging by tomorrow hopefully between 12-1. I imagine that it gets pretty packed on Fridays. Appreciate any insight from people that have any experience buying from there.

11. Gsulliv2

Gsulliv2 Initiate (158) Dec 9, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

get there early

Note: sorry i have no idea how long it lasted..

12. marcrgrenier

marcrgrenier Initiate (131) Apr 22, 2015 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

looks like per their facebook it has lasted until about 4 pm each day. Today might be a bit busier as it is friday and the last day its available.

Pete_Gill likes this.
  13. MattOC

MattOC Aspirant (204) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

They also said it is very likely they will have some left for sale on Saturday. They will give an update regarding availability Friday night.

14. xanok

xanok Disciple (369) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I was considering making a trip to Alchemist today, but I wouldn't be able to get there until around 5. Would I still be able to get a full allotment at that time?

15. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (221) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

Just wanted to add that the operation could not have been smoother this week. We arrived at 10:45 on Thursday and were out the door by 11:15. Was really well organized. We were very impressed. Admittedly, it's a slow week between Labor Day and Foliage, but they seemed to have it down.

jhavs and woodfinish like this.
  16. mendham_mikey

mendham_mikey Initiate (121) Nov 11, 2014 New Jersey

this just in:

For the next 2 weeks we will be selling Broken Spoke instead of Crusher. This is a 6% abv American Pale Ale brewed entirely with Amarillo hops. Our purchase limits for this week will be as follows:

Broken Spoke- 2 four-packs per person
    Heady Topper- 2 four-packs per person
    Focal Banger- 6 four-packs per person

As always, 4-packs are $12.50 + tax/deposit

Although Crusher will not be available for sale until October 4, we will be pouring complimentary samples throughout it's absence. We look forward to seeing you!

[​IMG]

jhavs likes this.
  17. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (281) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

I bet that stuff is terrific

Pete_Gill and jhavs like this.
  18. mendham_mikey

mendham_mikey Initiate (121) Nov 11, 2014 New Jersey

...Gonna be there this Thurs, so I'll let u know!

19. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (281) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

That's the spirit

20. Str8fromtheGrnMtns

Str8fromtheGrnMtns Initiate (168) Sep 8, 2014 Vermont
    Beer Trader

here's the video on broken spoke. gonna go pick some up today! very excited.

meefmoff and jhavs like this.
  21. atticmonkey81

atticmonkey81 Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Does anyone know what the rules are with bottle sharing in line? I know the line moves quick but I will be visiting next month from Illinois and was considering bringing a few beers to share but don't want to ruffle any feathers.

22. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (173) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont
    Beer Trader

You cannot bring alcohol to consume on premise. Samples only. If you are coming in a month (late October), there shouldn't really be any lines anyways.

23. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (267) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I realize it's probably too far out to speculate, but have any cans been available in the evenings near closing? We are going to Burlington for the weekend of Oct. 21-23. If there's a chance of cans Friday evening around 6ish, I'll try to leave Boston early and swing by there so we can avoid the roundtrip Saturday morning. Thanks!

24. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (221) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

I am fairly certain (but don't hold me to it) that they did not sell out of anything but Harvest last week when I was up there but I was not there late in the day (just observation of their website and facebook throughout our three days). I would think 10/21-23 would draw similar lines to what 9/15-17 period did (i.e. nothing crazy as leaf season will be over).

As I posted above, as an example Thursday 9/15 was 2 cases plus the Harvest 4 pack and we were in and out in 30 minutes showing up at 10:45. We drove by the next day around 1 and there was no line.

But ... as you said ... speculation at this point.

25. jhavs

jhavs Meyvn (1,160) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I have picked up a full allotment one time, and 4 four packs of Focal another time at around 6pm in the last month.
    Based on forums, etc. they have had Focal till close recently.

26. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (267) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Thank you @EDNOSE and @jhavs, much appreciated. I'll check back in on the October thread and see how things are looking then, but great to know that selling out daily hasn't been the norm.

jhavs likes this.
  27. meefmoff

meefmoff Aspirant (265) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Interesting that around 2:30 he says that haze is largely malt/mash driven. All the discussion/arguing about it on the main board has always focused on yeast and hops.

And more on point, it's really cool to finally see a variety of beers start coming out of the Alchemist again. That damn flood cost the world almost a decade of beer.

28. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Initiate (86) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Ive really been enjoying the videos john k is doing for each "new" release from the brewery. he always seems so excited and proud in these videos.

How often do you get the opportunity to hear insight from one of the worlds top brewers?

OnlyTheFinest and skleice like this.
  29. Str8fromtheGrnMtns

Beer Trader

agreed, i found that interesting as well. as a fairly inexperienced homebrewer, i can't expand on that topic to much.

i'm so happy he's able to bring back recipes. like @JonnyJuicebox he always seems so proud to deliver these beers he used to brew, rightfully so.

anyway, broken spoke is... delicious. it is a very light, crisp pale ale. nice clean, soft stone fruit when you first sip and then slight bitterness in the middle and leaving a earthy and slightly spicy aftertaste, almost as if they put a small amount of rye in the malt bill. showcases amarillo very well. i love seeing a not over the top hoppy pale ale coming from the alchemist. it's well balanced. pic of it, it's hard to tell, but it's quite a clear beer:
    [​IMG]

30. OnlyTheFinest

OnlyTheFinest Initiate (179) Feb 5, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

Sorry everyone but I missed the timing of this post....

How is Harvest Ale tasting?!

Z0827 likes this.
  31. CharlatanSin

CharlatanSin Zealot (513) May 28, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Finally making the pilgrimage this Saturday. What can I expect? Is it a "get there before opening" spot these days?

32. Phreeballing

Phreeballing Initiate (188) Sep 19, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Is broken spoke going to be a semi regular offering?

33. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Initiate (86) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Actually went to the new brewery for the first time today. Got there at 2, waited maybe 5 minutes. Could have gotten a case of focal, and 2 four packs of heady and broken.

I imagine right now is a slow period between summer and leaf season.

34. mendonjoebeer

mendonjoebeer Aspirant (258) Nov 9, 2010 New York

Went yesterday, Friday, in at 12:30, out by 12:20, very friendly and efficient. Went today, Saturday , arrived at 2:10, was out by 2:35, still very friendly and efficient, but ran out of heady about 15 people in front of me. They did a good job of warning people when they were running low on heady. Still got limit of focal.

Life is good.

JonB25 likes this.
  35. Str8fromtheGrnMtns

Beer Trader

how have i never noticed time travels backwards when in the brewery? ;):p glad you scored!

JonB25 likes this.
  36. mendonjoebeer

mendonjoebeer Aspirant (258) Nov 9, 2010 New York

OOPS! Out by 12:45, the samples made time go backwards

Str8fromtheGrnMtns and JonB25 like this.
  37. Minipork

Minipork Initiate (162) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I went made the trip from Chicago this past week. I turned 40 (damn that's wierd to type) on 9/21. I got there 5 minutes before closing on 9/20. My wife and I got a the limit. We did the same on 9/21 around 11AM. Both times no wait. I drove around Stowe and got about another case each of heady and SOS. Glad I finally made it. I left Stowe with close to 9 cases of Alchemist and 1 of Sip. I have plenty to drink and share. Glad I dont have to trade for a while.

OnlyTheFinest likes this.
  38. headyhunter526

headyhunter526 Initiate (136) Nov 24, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

It was nice to see that Farmhouse Tap and Grill got a small alottment of focal this past weekend. 2 cases, one for Friday and one for Saturday. Must've been a nice surprise for locals in Burlington and anyone staying there these past couple days or those who were in from SIP fest.

39. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Disciple (336) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Quick question for the locals who have heady all the time. My folks brought me Some. Kept it cool to cold. Drove it all the way back to Atlanta chilled to cold. Purchased at the brewery 9/17. Have had it plenty of times... It just taste off or different to me. Am I crazy, does it not like long car rides or what?

40. WolfsburgVW

WolfsburgVW Aspirant (295) May 21, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I've had it months out. I've also had it where it's been warmed to room temperature and back to cold and never had any issues. What did you have to eat or drink prior? A lot of things that can effect the taste of a beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe