The Answer Brewpub (Richmond, Va)

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by TomCat11, May 16, 2017.

1. montman

montman Disciple (353) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Officially they say Joose crowlers only on Tuesday and Thursday, however they have been doing them pretty regularly on Sundays as of late.
    You can get crowlers of the IPA's any day. The stouts are random special releases (lines/sellouts).

KEEPonPOURING likes this.
  2. HeyLady

HeyLady Aspirant (281) Sep 17, 2015 New York

Thanks so much, appreciate the info!

3. bushycook

bushycook Initiate (174) Jan 31, 2011 Virginia

Their beer is kind of shit, I think

4. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (319) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

All of it?

5. TomCat11

TomCat11 Devotee (424) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia

Strong statement. Care to add context?

6. TomCat11

I think last week I came across something like 5 or 6 beer brackets going on with March Madness getting under way. This one here has The Answer pitted again their neighbor up the street (Veil) in the Elite Eight. The Answer is currently ahead with 70% of the votes. The other 6 left are heavy hitters too so be sure to add another tick for An and his crew.
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/03/bracket-madness-craft-beer-best-brewery-united-states-vote

KEEPonPOURING and Macsimus like this.
  7. KEEPonPOURING

KEEPonPOURING Initiate (168) Oct 28, 2015 Virginia

Has Sean O'Herns time to shine started? I have no doubt he will manage well at the helm.

8. TomCat11

I believe his first official date as head brewer was March 1st but I'm guessing Brandon let him unofficially take the reigns soon after it was announced of his last day being the end of Feb.

Precarious Beer Project / Amber Ox posted yesterday that Sean was down there to brew an Answer collab with them.

9. KEEPonPOURING

I thought that might be the case, Brandon letting him get after it sooner rather than later. With all of the collaborations and time spent away Brandon has done over the past year or so, im sure Sean is broken in pretty well.

10. MeanDeuce

MeanDeuce Initiate (50) Dec 4, 2013 Virginia

Do joose crowlers ever make it to the next day? Going down Friday and wonder if it’s worth stopping by if they have some left from Thursday

11. TomCat11

Joose will be available on draft but Crowlers are typically only sold Tues and Thurs. Someone recently posted they may be available Sundays too but any other day except these 3 is typically not an option.

12. MeanDeuce

Thanks, just assuming that since they are prefilled some may hang around until the next day.

13. TomCat11

It's been a while since I stopped by on a Tues / Thurs but I think they only fill enough to get through the opening rush along with maybe a little bit after that to help limit the wait times but then fill on demand once those Crowlers are gone.

if you are on facebook you may want to ask on Questions and The Answer. Several of the staff frequently post on the page and worst case scenario maybe you could hook up with someone to snag Crowlers on Thursday and meet up with you when you are in town.

Also, if it's not already in your plans definitely swing by Triple Crossing. They have a 2 can release on Friday beginning at Noon which includes a new Waxing Poetic which is very similar to the Jooses. Lines are typically very minimal if any but the beer they pump out is fantastic.

14. MeanDeuce

Definitely hitting TripleC and Veil. Thanks agaib

15. TomCat11

The Answer has made it to the Finals (vs. Weldwerks). A couple hours since voting opened and it's a very tight race. The Answer = 48.99% Weldwerks = 51.01% as of this post. Voting shuts down tomorrow (Friday) at Noon ET. Take a moment to vote. Hopefully for The Answer. http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/03/bra...best-craft-brewery-final-weldwerks-the-answer

#215 TomCat11, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  16. TomCat11

Noticed last night the pinned post in the Questions and The Answer fb group has been updated to note Joose Crowlers are now available Tues, Thurs and Sun going forward.

17. TomCat11

FREE glass giveaway today from 4 - 6 for anyone going. 200 Available. Look for the well groomed bearded man named Matt at the back bar.
    [​IMG]

fehrminator and Hamilax like this.
  18. KEEPonPOURING

Those glasses are pretty nice, glad I picked one up. A really nice gesture.

TomCat11 likes this.
  19. JohnB311

JohnB311 Initiate (104) Aug 19, 2008 Massachusetts

Do they ever put this Nintendo glasses up for sale online? I need that Punch Out glass.

20. TomCat11

Don’t think so. They do not have an online store.

21. blkgld

blkgld Initiate (22) Mar 21, 2018 Iowa

How long do the crowlers typically stay good for? Having a buddy pick some up for me and curious what kind of shelf life I'll get out of them after receiving.

22. TomCat11

23. TomCat11

In case you don't follow them on social media, The Answer (and Mekong) are closed Mon - Wed this week due to a family emergency.

24. will_eye_e

will_eye_e Aspirant (244) Jul 29, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Mekong question - Do they post their draft list anywhere online? I've checked their website, Facebook, Insta, and Untappd and didn't come across an official list. Also, is their food menu on their website up-to-date? Thanks!

25. Macsimus

Macsimus Initiate (176) Feb 19, 2014 North Carolina

^^^ understand the question but trust me - their food and beer selections are delicious and that is the answer across many styles of beer and food!!!

26. TomCat11

The menu on their website should be fairly accurate. I don't think it has bene updated in a long time but other than a few small additions here and there it always stays the same.

You're not going to find an online taplist that they maintain anywhere (at least that I know of). I always have a chuckle the times I just happen to go to their website and click the "beer" link. It has literally said Tap list coming soon for years. I think it has to be an ongoing joke or something. But as @Macsimus notes, you will not be disappointed by either even not know what their beer list is. The closest you will probably come is looking at recent Untappd check-ins or the possibility someone snapped a pic of the board for their check-in. While equally delicious beers at both locations, An keeps completely different taps at both Mekong and The Answer. Unless they have added more lines that's between 90-100 total taps between both spots. You will not find the same beer on at either place. Both places have Andalls but they are different ones. You will also not find The Answer beers on tap at Mekong but it's a short walk around to the back of the building to the brewpub.

will_eye_e likes this.
  27. TomCat11

If anyone happens to be in the Fredericksburg, Va area I just saw Harry's Alehouse is doing a tap takeover this weekend with some Revierie stuff including The Answer beers. They noted as having...

- The Answer (Untappd currently showing DDH Piece of the Action)
    - Equilibrium
    - Foreign Objects
    - Benchtop
    - Oxbow
    - American Solera
    - Precarious Beer (Williamsburg, Va)
    ....and some more.

Can see their current taplist on Untappd

kingholmes likes this.
  28. TomCat11

5/8 JOOSE Day availability...

[​IMG]

29. TomCat11

No confirmation (as of this post) but subtle hints are the Tyson glass could be coming very soon...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Macsimus

Macsimus Initiate (176) Feb 19, 2014 North Carolina

^^ looks to be a nice weekend!!!

31. ontheterrace

ontheterrace Initiate (17) Oct 20, 2016 New York

The Answer will be pouring (alongside Triple and Hardywood) at Juicy Brews Summer Craft Beer Invitational on June 10th at Triple's Fulton location. One beer will be a new DDH TIPA brewed for release at the fest and at the taproom the same weekend.

32. ChrisV784

ChrisV784 Initiate (53) Jun 1, 2016 Massachusetts

I'm planning a trip to go here and Veil on our way down to Tennessee for a music festival. We'll be there on Tuesday June 5. Should I go here or Veil first? Not sure what lines are like at either place

33. TomCat11

I have not been by on a release day in a bit but seems like Veil lines are not too bad (50ish) at opening from what I have followed and cans are lasting at least through the day until something sells out if not multiple days as you have probably noticed cans from the previous week carrying over to the next week. That being said my personal preference would be to stop by The Answer at opening to grab JOOSE and have a few small pours then head to The Veil 1-2 hours after opening to most likely very little, if any line. It all depends on what is being released but I don't expect lines at Veil to be bad and rarely do I see posts these days about The Answer have long waits for JOOSE. Now if The Answer happens to release a glass, which I think mainly happens on weekends, then there could be a wait although An has been known to casually give them away randomly during the week.

if you get into town earlier in the day then highly recommend stopping my Final Gravity. The brewery side opens at 2pm on Tuesdays.

34. oldn00b

oldn00b Champion (855) Feb 23, 2015 Virginia
    Trader

I second this. When I go up just for Veil cans I'm usually on a time crunch so I just go to Veil. But when a friend comes and we make an afternoon out of it we do Mekong (if we're hungry/earlier enough) then Answer at 4PM, then Veil for pours/cans. These days it seems like unless it's a hyped bottle release there isn't much of a line come 5PM and you can have a beer while you wait if so.

I think the Glass Joe giveaway was on a Tuesday, so there is hope but that doesn't happen often I don't think.

TomCat11 likes this.
  35. TomCat11

Anyone in the RVA area waiting for the Jackie O's / Answer collab, Orange Crates, to show up looks like De Fles Winkel and Corks & Kegs received bottles today. Likely showing up at your favorite local shops today or later this week as well.

36. TomCat11

Memorial Day weekend glass giveaway (in remembrance of An's father) starts TODAY (Friday) when doors open at Noon. Per The Answer, they will be handing out 250 per day (Fri - Sun) at 1pp (ages 21+). Noon opening each day.

[​IMG]

37. TomCat11

Anyone in the group live in the Williamsburg area? One of the admins in the Questions and The Answer FB group, who happens to live in W'Burg, will be giving away a Megawoman glass to the first person that comes up to him at Qdoba between Noon - 1pm.

38. montman

montman Disciple (353) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

haha, someone please be Matt's lunch buddy today.

TomCat11 likes this.
  39. TomCat11

Answer release today (6/8)....TIPA should be available for pours / Crowlers when doors open at Noon......Glass release @ 4:20. NO confirmation on price yet but post in Q&A by Admin stated $15 each.
    - Ti Esrever Dna Ti Pilf Nwod Gniht Ym Tup? Is it worth it? We think so! Peep our collaboration with the minds behind the Juicy Brews festival series, @hopculturemag. We took our beloved Calculated Risk TIPA and reversed it! Featuring Citra Hops in the kettle and triple dry hopped with Mosaic.

Additionally we will be releasing these beautiful Duck Hunt glasses for the occasion [​IMG].
    - 400 glasses will be available tomorrow at 4:20pm (Limit 2 per 21+ adult human). Heads up we may distribute tickets around 3pm, but limit will still be enforced.
    [​IMG]

40. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (149) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

So how long do their cans typically last? I will be in Richmond from out of town on Saturday evening.