American Ales The Averagely Perfect American IPA Project

Discussion in 'Homebrew Recipes' started by meatballj626j, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meatballj626j

meatballj626j Initiate (0) May 7, 2009 Georgia

Noticed this wasn't in here, figured I would add it here. I copied and pasted the pellet all grain version from the following thread: http://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...rfect-american-ipa-project-the-recipes.74647/

Averagely Perfect American IPA Project Recipe 1: PELLET HOP version

Targets:
    5 Gallons into Fermenter (5.18 gallons including trub prior to xfer to fermenter)
    Target ABV: 6.5%
    Target OG: 1.062
    Target FG: 1.012
    Mash Efficiency: 70%
    Apparent Attenuation: 81%
    Recommended Mash Temp: 151F
    Ferment at 66F
    64 IBUs (per Tinseth Calc)

Grain Bill:
    Two-Row Brewer's Malt - 11.78 lbs
    Crystal 40 - 0.64 lbs
    Carapils - 0.38 lbs

Hop Schedule:
    60 Minutes
    --Magnum, 14% AA, 0.11 oz
    15 Minutes
    --Simcoe, 13% AA, 0.5 oz
    --Centennial, 11.5% AA, 0.5 oz
    --Cascade, 5.9% AA, 0.5 oz
    10 Minutes
    --Simcoe, 13% AA, 0.5 oz
    5 Minutes
    --Simcoe, 13% AA, 0.75 oz
    Flameout/Whirlpool/Hopstand
    --Simcoe, 1.0 oz
    --Centennial, 0.75 oz
    --Cascade, 0.75 oz
    Dry Hop
    --Simcoe, 1.25 oz
    --Centennial, 1.0 oz
    --Cascade, 1.0 oz

Yeast: Wyeast 1056/WLP001/US-05

Notes:
    - This recipe is for 5 gallons of wort going into the fermenter. With such a massive hopload, absorption matters, and it affects a lot of things. Read on.
    - This version of the recipe assumes pellet hops, with a 10% bonus utilization due to pellet form, and a wort absorption of 3.2 ounces wort per ounce of hops. The Standard Tinseth formula assumes leaf hops (without the 10% bonus utilization.) If you will use pellets, but don't believe in the pellet bonus (or believe in a different bonus), adjust. YMMV.
    - I used my own boil off rate (in conjunction with hop wort absorption) to determine a starting wort volume, which impacts hop utilization. YMMV. Adjust as necessary. Use your software. You paid for it. If it's freeware, good luck!
    - Anything you change that relates to absorption will change the total fermentables you need to get out of your mash. So you may need to adjust the grain bill up/down.
    - If your hops have different Alpha Acid percentages, adjust as necessary.
    - This recipe assumes 70% Mash Efficiency, a little higher than BYO recipes (for example) assume, but probably closer to the average efficiency on this forum based on what I've seen over the years. YMMV. Adjust as necessary.

pweis909 and PortLargo like this.
  2. Slatetank

Slatetank Poo-Bah (5,486) Oct 9, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Wasn't there an averagely perfect American Stout recipe too?

3. meatballj626j

meatballj626j Initiate (0) May 7, 2009 Georgia

Yea, but Ill let someone else post that because I am lazy.

4. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,948) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I will post them all. Just need to find time to put into standard BA recipe forum formats.

Slatetank likes this.
  5. MCBanjoMike

MCBanjoMike Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2014 Canada (QC)

I'm going to brew this in the next few weeks, just ordered the ingredients for it today. Am I right in assuming that I can swap out that 0.11 oz bittering charge of Magnum for equivalent AAU of pretty much any other hop? Also, is there a recommended temperature and duration for the hopstand addition?

6. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (479) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

A purist would say no . . . but I use whatever I have open. IIRC the voting process didn't address Hopstand time/temps. I tend to lower the wort below 190 and whirl it at least 20 minutes, but this is brewer's option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.