The Dakotas

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by JohnGehan, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnGehan

JohnGehan Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2016 Massachusetts

Hello,

I am seeking two beers, one from each Dakota state. Would anyone be willing to trade something from the New England region for the Dakotas?

Thanks,

John

2. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Pundit (907) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

South Dakota might be difficult.......? North Dakota is much easier. Keep us posted and me or someone could help out.

3. ZAP

ZAP Grand Pooh-Bah (3,964) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

There is a place from South Dakota that distributes to west-central Minnesota...Perham, Park Rapids for sure...Fernson Brewing Company out of Sioux Falls...anyone in those areas should have access..

4. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,561) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I know they don't make it to St. Cloud. From what I've heard, not a bad thing.

VABA and NIN1988 like this.
  5. ZAP

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The one I had wasn't terrible....not recommended but not the worst..

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  6. sahd-1

sahd-1 Savant (1,155) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Ok, so my family and I are vacationing in SD this summer. I posted a similar question asking South Dakotans for their best beer/brewery and everyone who replied (maybe 3) all said their breweries were average at best. Is this really true?

staticchaos likes this.
  7. bbtkd

bbtkd Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,326) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Well, some are OKer than others, but I have not experienced one that knocked my socks off. These are all pretty small and/or young breweries for the most part. Only one distributes outside the state, and then only a few miles into adjoining states. That said, I have not tried them all, but do live near Sioux Falls where a large number of them are. At this point, my favorite two are Woodgrain in Sioux Falls, and Miner in the Black Hills. Crow peak is not far behind.

Where specifically will you be vacationing?

siouxbrew likes this.
  8. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Pundit (807) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

I assume you will be vacationing in western SD, (most everyone does). Depending where you are coming from or going to, the following are decent to very solid beer stops in the area:

1. Wooden Legs Brewing Co. in Brookings SD
    2. Bank Brewing Co. Hendricks MN (western MN)
    3. Brau Bros. Marshall MN (SW MN)
    4. Disgruntled Brewing, Perham MN (W central MN)...*best of the bunch, well worth the drive*.
    5. Junkyard Brewing Co. Moorhead MN

Nothing in SD, ND, or western MN is very close, so a few extra miles behind the wheel maybe required to get beer from the area.

You have a tough choice as to what beer route you want to take coming from IL. You could come up through WI, load up on Central Waters, New Glarus, & other great WI beers, then hit the Twin Cities metro area for MN beers or you could head west & catch TG, Pulpit, & the other great Iowa beers...Hmm, tough call.

Have a great vacation, South Dakota is a great state w/ a lot to see! Cheers!

#8 barrybeerdog, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    hardy008 and bbtkd like this.
  9. sahd-1

Trader

These last 2 posts sound more encouraging. Wood grain and Wooden Legs have shown up on my radar after some research. I'll look into the other suggestions and see what's feasible. We'll be staying in Custer National Park with several stops along the way via I90 including Spearfish, Rapid City, Sioux Falls and a detour to Decorah on the way back.
    Thanks for the feedback.

10. barrybeerdog

You should be able to find good beer along the way. I haven't tried it, but the Midwest BA folks are raving about Forager beer in Rochester MN, (you'll be going right through while on 90) might be something to check out. There is a new Forager thread going right now.

Are you camping at Custer State Park in SD or going to the Little Bighorn site in Montana? Either way, enjoy your trip & good luck on the beer hunt! Cheers

11. ZAP

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Great recap...personally I still have Junkyard in front of Disgruntled but definitely more of a detour if coming from the south....both are excellent...splitting hairs but I'd at least call them co- best of the bunch.

BigIslandfarmer likes this.
  12. barrybeerdog

Yeah, those two places maybe a little out of his way from I-90, but well worth the detour in the area!

13. bbtkd

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Be sure not to dismiss anything without trying it for yourself, as reviews can be biased. You'll have a chance to visit Miner Brewing which is owned by and co-located with Prairie Berry Winery, not far from Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Miner has some decent Belgian styles which I tried recently. There is also a Prairie Berry wineroom and Miner taproom on 8th street in downtown Sioux Falls.

hardy008 likes this.
  14. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Pundit (907) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

Disgruntled and Junkyard are waaaaay out the way from I-90. Both are fantastic. But that's quite the detour.

15. SD-Alefan

SD-Alefan Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2013 South Dakota

Wooden Legs in Brookings, Woodgrain in Sioux Falls, Lost Cabin in Rapid City as well as Miner and Crow Peak all do solid, and occasionally, outstanding stuff.

hardy008 likes this.
  16. sahd-1

Trader

We're staying in a cabin at Custer State Park in SD. We've got a 7 and 10 year old who haven't roughed it much outside of Chicago. Doing most of the touristy SD stuff.

17. sahd-1

Trader

This is always my attitude going in provided the reviews don't totally pan a place. Again, thanks everybody for all the suggestions.

18. barrybeerdog

Nice! What a great vacation plan for young kids! They will have a blast, so much to do & see out that way!
    Have a great trip!

#18 barrybeerdog, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  19. bbtkd

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If they - and you - are used to being "connected" (Wifi and cell coverage) it will be a break from that! Coverage can be spotty to non-existent, particularly in the hills. Just saying - you may want to do your research ahead of your trip, and print it out. You'll have coverage in town though.

HeartofMiami likes this.
  20. CarolusP

CarolusP Zealot (566) Oct 22, 2015 Minnesota

Have fun on the vacation. I'm biased because I'm a SD native, but I've always loved the Black Hills area. There are tons of things to do, and it isn't horribly crowded like places such as Disney Land (that is, as long as you don't go while the Sturgis motorcycle rally is in full swing).

As far as breweries in the Black Hills area, be sure to check out Miner Brewing Company. My wife and I stopped there on our honeymoon two years ago, and I was impressed with the flight I bought.

HeartofMiami and bbtkd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.